Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Recorded Music v / Marc Bolan - Cosmic Dancer

Marc Bolan - Cosmic Dancer
2017-09-16, 11:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-16 11:47 by dan steel.)
Marc Bolan - Cosmic Dancer
[Image: p05f941b.jpg]

Did anyone see last nights documentary on BBC4 about Marc Bolan.

This intimate biography, narrated in Marc Bolan's own words, marks the 70th anniversary of his birth and the 40th of his death. The film traces Bolan's remarkable journey from Hackney's own 'king of the mods' to Tyrannosaurus Rex, as he evolved into the artist known as 'the hippie with a knife up his sleeve'.

With the dawn of the '70s and the breakup of The Beatles, Bolan became the gender-bending glam rocker whose band T. Rex revitalised the British music scene. But director Jeremy Marre - incorporating unseen movies shot by record producer Tony Visconti and Marc Bolan himself - reveals a far more complex and driven figure whose life was tragically cut short, aged 29.

It features those who were closest to Marc, his friends, colleagues, family, partner Gloria Jones and producer Tony Visconti.

If you haven't seen it, it's well worth calling back. Cool

I have never met Napoleon
But I plan to find the time
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-16, 13:11
RE: Marc Bolan - Cosmic Dancer
(2017-09-16 11:33)dan steel Wrote:  If you haven't seen it, it's well worth calling back. Cool

Thanks for the heads-up I'll be sure to check it out. Smile

I've still got several T-Rex 45 RPM singles - Ride a White Swan, Hot Love, Bang a Gong (Get it On) - and "Electric Warrior" was one of the first Musicassettes I ever bought.

I was always intrigued by the fact that the backing singers on "Electric Warrior" were Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman formerly of The Turtles who joined the Mothers of Invention as Phlorescent Leech & Eddie. This was around the time of "Live at the Fillmore East" - June 1971.

An interesting segue is that I saw Flo and Eddie on November 10, 1972 at the Green's Playhouse, Glasgow when they were the support band for Alice Cooper during his "Killer" tour! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-09-16, 15:04
I watched and enjoyed it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094mcwl

The Glam Rock documentary after was interesting but questionable about what the maker classed as Glam Rock bands and artists ?
2017-09-16, 20:29
(2017-09-16 13:11)Donald Wrote:  
(2017-09-16 11:33)dan steel Wrote:  If you haven't seen it, it's well worth calling back. Cool

Thanks for the heads-up I'll be sure to check it out. Smile

I've still got several T-Rex 45 RPM singles - Ride a White Swan, Hot Love, Bang a Gong (Get it On) - and "Electric Warrior" was one of the first Musicassettes I ever bought.

I was always intrigued by the fact that the backing singers on "Electric Warrior" were Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman formerly of The Turtles who joined the Mothers of Invention as Phlorescent Leech & Eddie. This was around the time of "Live at the Fillmore East" - June 1971.

An interesting segue is that I saw Flo and Eddie on November 10, 1972 at the Green's Playhouse, Glasgow when they were the support band for Alice Cooper during his "Killer" tour! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I watched it on iPlayer this afternoon. It was interesting, as the first LP I bought was Electric Warrior too. However, and I'm probably in a minority here, I quickly decided that MB was a complete prat, once I discovered other bands. I swapped my copy of "The Slider" for a copy of "Fresh Cream" and didn't regret it for a minute.

The 10cc documentary "I'm Not In Love" recommended by iPlayer was much better and far more interesting IMHO.

'troll
2017-09-17, 10:08
(2017-09-16 20:29)moomintroll Wrote:  However, and I'm probably in a minority here, I quickly decided that MB was a complete prat, once I discovered other bands. I swapped my copy of "The Slider" for a copy of "Fresh Cream" and didn't regret it for a minute.

Agreed - at that time I was transitioning from the likes of T.Rex, Slade and Status Quo and going forward with Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and of course Frank Zappa - never looked back and started on the long slow descent to where we are now! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
2017-09-17, 10:31
I first seen them as Tyrannosaurus Rex in Liverpool in 1968 and they where great. I didn't have to swop any albums as I bought Fresh Cream when it first came out two years earlier in 1966.

I have never met Napoleon
But I plan to find the time
2017-09-17, 11:29
I have a very vague memory of getting a Tyrannosaurus Rex flexi disc with NME or Sounds (?) that had "Deborah" on it - remember those!

Wonder if I've still got it in the attic somewhere??

2017-09-23, 00:46 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-23 00:48 by Wat.)
I thought the documentary was OK though I'd sooner concentrate on Marc's music than listen to lots of commentary.

My favourite of Marc's works were his four Tyrannosaurus Rex albums. Of his subsequent work, I really liked Children of Rarn. I never really thought of Marc as glam-rock: always associated glam with Chin-Chapman & Gary Glitter, none of which really appealed. Marc, on the other hand, released some excellent singles in those early 70s. Another, often associated with glam, was Roy Wood, but like Marc, he was far too good for such a term IMO.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-09-23, 00:58
(2017-09-16 13:11)Donald Wrote:  I was always intrigued by the fact that the backing singers on "Electric Warrior" were Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman formerly of The Turtles who joined the Mothers of Invention as Phlorescent Leech & Eddie. This was around the time of "Live at the Fillmore East" - June 1971.

I thought the Turtles were a superb band & I'm a big Zappa fan, but I never really liked Live at the Fillmore East - June 1971. I did like the subsequent Flo & Eddie LPs & Frank bounced back with The Grand Wazoo.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s