Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 21:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Akodoriks sound too clinical

Akodoriks sound too clinical
2017-09-16, 21:32
RE: Akodoriks sound too clinical
(2017-09-16 20:31)Craigas Wrote:  ... I actually have the power cord to speakers wrapped around Ethernet cable, and wrapped together with white electrical tape to make the install look very clean, the other cables inside cabinet are a rats nest.
This does not sound good at all. I suggest you start with separating them.

ADSM, A Exaktbox 10, A4200*2+A2200, Akubarik, Harmoni rack, LS NAS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-16, 21:55
Roger, separate and shield them, do I shield the power with tinfoil, or Ethernet?
2017-09-17, 06:26
Craigas,

Does the system sound clinical if you switch off Space Optimisation?

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-09-17, 07:10
(2017-09-16 21:55)Craigas Wrote:  Roger, separate and shield them, do I shield the power with tinfoil, or Ethernet?

Both if you can Wink But try the Ethernets first.

I'm just looking at your room pics. Is the room actually rectangular, or does the kitchen go further back than the pics show to be more L-shaped?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-17, 07:28
Great Linn system and beautiful home.

I was just in Toronto 2 weeks ago today, for less than 20 hours.

A few observations before I attempt to tackle the SPACE optimization settings, probably tomorrow evening.

Yes I would definitely toe-in the speakers by at least 2.5 inches o create a much better imaging and bigger soundstage. This will help 3 separate issues, IMHO.

1) It may help minimize the effect of the window reflection off the left wall.

2) It may minimize the reflections of sound waves off the 75 inch TV

3) it may reduce some harshness generated by the speaker cones, if the angle is set up correctly. (From a recent post from Philbo). This has been an observation of mine that toe-in can reduce some harshness.

The issue of power cords wrapped with Ethernet cables is a real issue and will cause harshness, reduced bass, aliveness, and dynamics. I would physically separate the power cords, Ethernet cables, and all other cables.

I usually wrap the whole Ethernet cable in foil, right up to the RJ45 connectors. I also wrap whatever sections of the power cord are in proximity to the other cables. Be careful though, as aluminum is an electrical conductor, so keep the foil away from the live electricity.

You can cover the Ethernet cables with sheathing from an electronics supply place to make it more wife friendly, then use heat shrink wrap to finish off the ends so it looks more professional.

I will not have time until tomorrow evening to look at the SPACE optimization settings, but just for fun try the following:

Create and save as, a new SPACE profile, perhaps called "Silly Ass Long Distance Experiment". Tongue

Looking at Calculated room mode one at 22.93 Hz, and set the gain to zero, thus turning off the calculated room mode 1.

Create a new custom room mode at 22.93 Hz, set the gain to -11.53, and a bandwidth of 0.014879

Looking at calculated room mode 5 at 53.84 Hz and set the gain to zero, then listen, as you run through the reference tracks and your favourite tracks.

You can also try the same for calculated room mode 6 at 56.39, gain to zero. However, it may be sufficient to just turn off room mode 5, and leave mode 6 as is?

Then for fun I would add gain to calculated room mode 9 by adjusting it from -18.71 to -7.53. Try to narrow the bandwidth from 0.06060 to 0.04040, or as much as you can.

Please let me know how you make out, with a description of what you are hearing, and then we can try the next steps. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-09-17, 12:04
Not wishing to tread on Paulsurround's toes, as he will work tirelessly to help you, but setting up SO should be based upon the initial positioning of the speakers being done through listening and using Tunedem. From your photos, it looks to me like they have just been positioned where they look acceptable. The beauty of SO, is that once setup in the best sounding position (including any toe-in) and SO settings arrived at, they can be moved to where they are now, using the "practical" positions in Konfig. SO will then adjust accordingly based on their new position.

Apologies if my observations are incorrect in this instance.

'troll
2017-09-17, 12:26
What moomintroll says about initial positioning with help of Tune dem is of course most essential. If possible, take help from a local Linn dealer (probably the best investment you can make).

2017-09-17, 14:51
You are correct not much time was spent on initial setup before placing them so I hope I'm not wasting Paul's time. My linn dealer scolded me for putting toe in initial setup as akudoriks are quite forgiving in that regard. Putting toe in now as Paul suggests, in their practical position, seems to make sense and probably then as well.

My thinking also at the time was SO would need to do its magic more in relation to poor room (low ceiling) then change of position. I'm probably not describing what I mean very well.
2017-09-17, 15:16
If you bought your setup from a Linn dealer (and not second hand from elsewhere) tune dem based installation in your home should be included in the price.

2017-09-17, 15:20
Thanks Paul, we recently downsized from home in country. It's small bungalow, but my wife has made it nice. The main room is not L shaped, I'll post a last pic of view to kitchen and hallway. I'll do some of the changes you suggest.