Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 11:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Build an Akurate system

Build an Akurate system
2017-09-21, 15:45
Build an Akurate system
New to the forum and trying to get my head round all the various permutations of Linn systems.
I currently have an LP12, lingo 3, Ekos SE, Kore Dynavector 10x5 running through a Naim 202/200 with HiCap DR, stage line N with normal Hicap feeding a pair of Dynaudio X38's. Now I want to add streaming to the above system and that would involve a Naim NDX and possibly another power supply. Too many boxes!!
So my plan is to sell all the Naim gear to finance a switch to Linn Akurate DSM (probably a DSM 1 for my budget) with an Akurate 2200 power amp.
What I don't really understand and would like to get a better grip of is the aktive and exakt side of Linn, how it works and what my options would be further down the line.
Any help or suggestions on a better way to switch would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-21, 21:31 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-21 21:32 by sunbeamgls.)
RE: Build an Akurate system
First thoughts - the DSM is a great idea. It will outperform an NDX.

Second, I would suggest you retain your power amp at least for a few months. I think the Akurate 2200/D might be a change rather than an improvement. I would recommend a comparison between the 2200 and a 250DR, preferrably in your own system at home. If you're going second hand if you can get them at sensible prices you could buy both and sell the one you don't like at a very small (if any) loss.

Active and Exakt are not possible with your current speakers. Active is only possible with Linn's own speakers and Exakt is only possible with Linn's own speakers and a very small selection of others such as PMC, KEF and Kudos.

So that would require a wholesale change of pretty much everything except your turntable. Lots of people on here will explain how it works and advise on options. We'll happily help if you are likely to consider a complete change.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-21, 22:09
I second this. Neither active nor Exakt are an option with your current speakers.

In an active Akurate setup the passive crossover located in the speaker becomes deactivated and must be replaced by analog filter cards in the amplifier. All current Linn speakers require either 8 or 10 channels of amplification, except for the Majik 109, which only requires 6 ones. In terms of box count this is probably not what you really want.

Exakt is pretty much the same as active, but there is no need for analog filter cards in the amplifiers. The Exaktbox implements the necessary filters in the digital domain and feeds the amplifiers with the required analog frequency range.

The lowest possible box count will be achieved when driving active Akubariks by an ADSM or Exakt Akubariks by an AEDSM. You only need the ADSM/AEDSM. Both of the mentioned speakers have integrated amplification. The Exakt Akubariks integrate the Exaktbox as well.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-09-21, 22:59 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-21 23:06 by mikie711.)
(2017-09-21 21:31)sunbeamgls Wrote:  First thoughts - the DSM is a great idea. It will outperform an NDX.

Second, I would suggest you retain your power amp at least for a few months. I think the Akurate 2200/D might be a change rather than an improvement. I would recommend a comparison between the 2200 and a 250DR, preferrably in your own system at home. If you're going second hand if you can get them at sensible prices you could buy both and sell the one you don't like at a very small (if any) loss.

Active and Exakt are not possible with your current speakers. Active is only possible with Linn's own speakers and Exakt is only possible with Linn's own speakers and a very small selection of others such as PMC, KEF and Kudos.

So that would require a wholesale change of pretty much everything except your turntable. Lots of people on here will explain how it works and advise on options. We'll happily help if you are likely to consider a complete change.

I understand that retaining the naim amps was an option but they tend to need their external power supply to sound their best which would mean at the very least a Hicap-Dr. Like you say by going down the second hand route their is very little in the way of financial risk which is exactly how I ended up where I am now. I have taken my 202/200 as far as you can, OK maybe a Supercap DR might improve things slightly over the 2 Hicaps, so without committing to Naim for evermore with either a 272, 282 or 252 and then the power amp and power supply upgrades attached to each to try and see if I end up with a sound I am happy with I thought I would switch stables. Less option on the upgrade path granted but potentially a much better and scalable system.
Now I dare say I could arrange a home demo of the gear I am thinking about but that wouldn't be very fair on my local dealer as I would have little intention of buying new. I would rather buy pre-owned and if I have an issue pay for his time to help sort it out. He still ends up with spin off sales, my LP12 started as a Majik, so it's not all bad for him. So just easier if I buy the kit, try it and if I like it then sell the Naim, if I don't then sell the whole lot and stick with a B&W Zeppelin (joking).
So it would seem that a ADSM and PA are the way ahead for now unless changing the speakers becomes an option.

Oh and another couple of questions, space optimisation how good is it really and can it deal with vaulted ceilings and huge windows, my listening room has some interesting features. And ADSM's have a phono stage which I believe is MC by default. Is it a case of switching a couple of jumpers internally or is it a board change. Just curios if it "has" to go to a dealer or not.
2017-09-22, 07:29
(2017-09-21 22:59)mikie711 Wrote:  ...

Oh and another couple of questions, space optimisation how good is it really and can it deal with vaulted ceilings and huge windows, my listening room has some interesting features. And ADSM's have a phono stage which I believe is MC by default. Is it a case of switching a couple of jumpers internally or is it a board change. Just curios if it "has" to go to a dealer or not.

Space is very good. Mostly. Huge windows shouldn't be a problem, but vaulted ceilings may require a lot of tweaking. If you get it right, it will be brilliant. But that can sometimes be a big if for peculiar and unconventional rooms. On the other hand, I don't think vaulted ceilings will be as big a challenge as odd shaped rooms. There are enough people on here with experience that should be able to help if the standard Linn guide doesn't cover it.

The ADSM phono stage can be switched to MM with jumper switches, not a board change - but I would recommend a dealer do it unless you are confident in how.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-22, 08:34
The Naim power supply stuff is about the pre amps. An Akurate DSM is a streamer and pre-amp with analogue and digital inputs. So that option could allow you to keep the 200 for a while as a power amp, and later you could compare a 250DR with the 2200 - same box count as there are no separate power supplies for either of these.

If considering Exakt then the best streamer and pre combined would be an AEDSM but they're unlikely to be found used. Combine this with a Majik Exakbox-i (DAC, crossover and 8 power amps in one box) and speaker to suit. You might like the Kudos Super 20a but used versions of those are likely to be scarce.
An ADSM (streamer and pre amp) with an Exakt output would keep options open. Of course, budget now and in the next 12 to 18 months will affect your choices too Smile

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-22, 08:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-22 12:00 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-22 07:29)timster Wrote:  I don't think vaulted ceilings will be as big a challenge as odd shaped rooms. There are enough people on here with experience that should be able to help if the standard Linn guide doesn't cover it.

The room where I use my Kiko has a vaulted ceiling, and that has never been a particular problem. A pitched roof (which is a good starting point) is one of the use cases in the Linn Space Optimisation guide. Experiment with different ceiling heights on the room measurements page of Konfig. Start by setting a room height which, applied to the whole room area, makes the volume of the notional room you are defining about the same as the actual vaulted room. For the pitched roof case, Linn recommend a height about a third of the way up the roof; for a vaulted roof, depending on its height and pitch, you would need to start with a somewhat higher ceiling height than that. If the vaulting represents less than half of the total ceiling area, I would start with the full ceiling height and adjust downwards only as found necessary in listening tests.

(2017-09-22 07:29)timster Wrote:  The ADSM phono stage can be switched to MM with jumper switches, not a board change - but I would recommend a dealer do it unless you are confident in how.

It's not jumper switches. You need to get inside the case and remove and re-position a daughter board. Not difficult in concept (I have done it), but fiddly and not recommended unless you have experience with electronics. For most people, it's a dealer job.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-22, 10:04
(2017-09-22 08:45)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-09-22 07:29)timster Wrote:  The ADSM phono stage can be switched to MM with jumper switches, not a board change - but I would recommend a dealer do it unless you are confident in how.

It's not jumper switches. You need to get inside the case and remove and re-position a daughter board. Not difficult in concept (I have done it), but fiddly and not recommended unless you have experience with electronics. For most people, it's a dealer job.

David

Thanks for clarifying David. At least I was half right.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-22, 12:03
(2017-09-22 10:04)timster Wrote:  Thanks for clarifying David. At least I was half right.

Actually, more than half right, because your conclusion was spot on.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko