Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 16:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Going down the 4K UHD TV road

Going down the 4K UHD TV road
2017-09-22, 14:25
Going down the 4K UHD TV road
Is there already anybody of the LINN owners using a 4K UHD TV together with his DSM?

What are your experiences?

How should the HDMI connections between TV, DSM, UHD disk player etc. be run without having troubles with lip sync delay, CEC protocol and other issues?

Which devices would you recommend for UHD TV and UHD disk player?

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-23, 20:22
RE: Going down the 4K UHD TV road
I have Samsung F9000 TV with Lg B7 coming tomorrow. I just hook up inputs to KDSM and HDMI cable television to TV. Don't have any lips NC problems. Delay can be programmed per source. Right now 110ms is OK with Samsung. Might decrease with LG. If you need 4k sources through DSM u ought to make sure it is HDMI 2. Otherwise plug 4k source direct to TV and spdif/to link back to DSM.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2017-09-23, 21:03
Just to clarify: There is a third device like a cable receiver? I'm not sure that I understood what you did exactly connect to the inputs of KDSM and from / to where the HDMI cable runs...

2017-09-25, 05:30
I have all my sources, Denon UDP, STP, and PC all connected to my KDSM HDMI inputs with HDMI4 output going to LG B7 65" TV: I have enabled ARC, I have also a redundant toslink connection from TV to KDSM for built in apps.
It seems to work fine. I case you want a UHD source, I believe built in netflix apps or Xbox would work fine for UHD blurays.
Lipsync value with my current setup is 85 ms instead of 110 ms with Samsung.

If you need UHD sources apart from the built in apps in the TV make sure your DSM supports HDMI2.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2017-09-25, 09:12
I am using with my KEDSM:

Sky Q HDMI out into Oppo 203, then HDMI out from the Oppo into my KEDSM, with the output from that connected to an LG OLED B6 TV. With this there is a very slight lipsync effect.

By taking Sky Q through the Oppo, I am able to change the sky audio to LPCM which means that I can have surround sound with Sky programs/films.

Main: KEDSM, 350's with 4 Tundra Stereos and Akurate Exakt Box 10, 520 rears, Oppo 203, Sky Q.
Office: Renew DS2 and 530s.
2017-09-25, 09:29
@dol:
My current setup is similar however I'm using an ADSM, Cambridge Azur 650 BD (Universal Disc Player up to Blu-ray discs) connected to HDMI input 1 and HDMI out to TV. This enables SACD playback via HDMI (converted to PCM of course) and video pass through when watching movies. However when replacing the TV and the BD player by 4K devices, I cannot use this configuration as the ADSM doesn't support HDMI 2 (what you pointed out in your last sentence).

There is also a toslink connection from TV to ADSM for TV sound.

There is a redundand analogue connection between the BD player and the ADSM as the Azur 650 BD doesn't support multi channel downmix in the digital domain, a feature that I use for watching movies. The latest device from Cambridge (CXUHD) comes without any anlogue outputs at all, what means one option less (eventually an Oppo player is the better solution).
There are many implications by technical details which are not odcumented in the manuals of the devices.

With 4K devices I would have to run one HDMI connection directly from my disk player to my TV and use another (digital or analogue) connection from disk player to my ADSM for the sound. Would you expect such a configuration to work flawlessly?

@flatcoat: Yet another implication aka complication!

@both: Can you recommend the LG OLED TVs?

2017-09-25, 15:37
I have the 2016 LG OLED (55B6) TV and am extremely pleased with it. It is exceptional with Sky Q Ultra HD broadcasts - particularly football, but also the Formula One is brilliant. It is also really good with Sky HD broadcasts, so overall a brilliant TV.

It replaced a Pioneer Plasma which I bought 10 years ago (now my bedroom TV) and when I bought that I can remember reading that OLED will be the technology, to better plasma and they reckoned it would be 2017 before the technology will be affordable. Both TVs cost approx. £1600.

(2017-09-25 09:29)Hagen2000 Wrote:  @both: Can you recommend the LG OLED TVs?

Main: KEDSM, 350's with 4 Tundra Stereos and Akurate Exakt Box 10, 520 rears, Oppo 203, Sky Q.
Office: Renew DS2 and 530s.
2017-09-25, 17:40
(2017-09-25 15:37)flatcoat Wrote:  I have the 2016 LG OLED (55B6) TV and am extremely pleased with it. It is exceptional with Sky Q Ultra HD broadcasts - particularly football, but also the Formula One is brilliant. It is also really good with Sky HD broadcasts, so overall a brilliant TV.

It replaced a Pioneer Plasma which I bought 10 years ago (now my bedroom TV) and when I bought that I can remember reading that OLED will be the technology, to better plasma and they reckoned it would be 2017 before the technology will be affordable. Both TVs cost approx. £1600.

(2017-09-25 09:29)Hagen2000 Wrote:  @both: Can you recommend the LG OLED TVs?

I have been pondering one of that very same OLED (they are stunning). At the moment, I am running a 42 inch Panasonic plasma (I picked it up for £200; it was traded in due to it not having HDMI sockets, but I added an HD Fury to resolve that). I keep thinking of getting the OLED, but the Panasonic looks good, so I am tempted to just run it until it fails.

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-25, 17:50
(2017-09-25 09:29)Hagen2000 Wrote:  @dol:

With 4K devices I would have to run one HDMI connection directly from my disk player to my TV and use another (digital or analogue) connection from disk player to my ADSM for the sound. Would you expect such a configuration to work flawlessly?

@both: Can you recommend the LG OLED TVs?

Hi Hagen, I think your solution can work as LG TV has PCM option for optical out and ARC.

Also the ADSM can pretty affordably be upgraded with the HDMI2 board to future proof it. " HDMI 2.0 upgrade listed for DSMs @ £600." (maybe slightly more now)

You gain ARC (so no need for toslink audio loopback) as well as 4k. Latest Daavars have made HDMI 2 very stable as well. I felt the picture quality also took a turn to the better when I upgraded my KDSM with Katalyst and HDMI2.

I've only just had my 65" LG B7 for a day, if given unlimited budget and ugly looks is not a problem, I would also consider the Sony OLED TV (with LG panel) as the video processing seems a notch easier to appreciate. Less black crushing? I might get the LG calibrated eventually to mitigate. Google B7 vs A1 before you decide if you can afford.

The step up from Samsung F9000 to LG B7 is massive. Software seems less glitchy on LG. Picture is on a completely different level, even though I have a bright room. The 55" seems attractively priced at the moment where I live.

Previously I had Panasonic VT25? plasma, which I enjoyed. Samsung F9000 LED was not always better than VT25 Plasma, especially not for a connected PC and text readability. However the B7 OLED blows them away completely. It seems to combine the best of Plasma and LED with some minor niggles about uniformity.

2017-10-01, 08:11
Hi dol,
Thank you for pointing out the upgrade possibility of the HDMI board, it takes 720,-- EUR here in Euroland.
As my current TV is from Panasonic I currently favour their EZW954 series. Still pondering on the size: 55 or should I even go for 65 inches??!!