Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 19:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Keltik Mono Aktiv Card Settings

Keltik Mono Aktiv Card Settings
2017-09-22, 17:54
Keltik Mono Aktiv Card Settings
Hi All,

I just installed a pair of Keltiks with Hiquphon OW1-92 tweeters powered by four Klouts with mono Aktiv cards. I'm currently using Linn's default settings...should I make any changes? Am I getting the most out of the speakers, including bass extension? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-23, 13:35
RE: Keltik Mono Aktiv Card Settings
(2017-09-22 17:54)FlamesVoice Wrote:  I just installed a pair of Keltiks with Hiquphon OW1-92 tweeters powered by four Klouts with mono Aktiv cards. I'm currently using Linn's default settings...should I make any changes? Am I getting the most out of the speakers, including bass extension? Any advice would be appreciated.

Experiment if you are so inclined, and then use the settings that sound best to you. Your listening room characteristics will certainly have a part to play in this process. In fact, I would be inclined to experiment with speaker positioning even before changing the Aktiv card settings. Sometimes, even a small change in the speaker position can make quite a big difference.

In short, there is no 'right' answer. There is only whatever answer works best for you and your system.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-28, 05:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-28 05:19 by ami.)
Depending on your room acoustics, lowering the bass extension to 20Hz can be beneficial. In my case, bass was initially overwhelming due to arrangement. I did try to lower the bass level but what really solved the issue was to rearrange the room so there is a large open space behind the listener (rather than a wall) and reposition the speakers accordingly. Now I am at full extension (1+2+3), at +0db level (1+2+3+4) and the bass is tight and tuneful. I also initially increased treble level to +0.5db (1-5 on), but over time found it to be too much and gradually reverted to the -1.0dB (1+2 on) factory setting. However this is with the original 015/5 tweeter and I guess you'll have to adjust for the OW1.

It took a lot of time (several months in fact) to get to the optimal setting and speaker placement but once its right, you'll know it (I don't think I ever encountered a more sensitive speaker, varying from awful to wonderful with minor changes). I have been extremely happy with the Keltiks for a very long time since the initial setup period. Now the opportunity has presented itself, a pair of KXO's are on their way.

1st setup: LP12/Cirkus/Lingo 2/Ekos 2/Delos/Linto, Ikemi > Kairn > 4 Klouts > 2*K400 > Keltiks
2nd setup: LP12/Pre-Cirkus/Valhalla/Ittok LVII/ESC-Troika, Karik/Numerik > Majik-IP > Klout+LK140 > Aktiv Keilidhs
2017-10-01, 13:06
(2017-09-22 17:54)FlamesVoice Wrote:  Hi All,

I just installed a pair of Keltiks with Hiquphon OW1-92 tweeters powered by four Klouts with mono Aktiv cards. I'm currently using Linn's default settings...should I make any changes? Am I getting the most out of the speakers, including bass extension? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek

I use Keltiks with mono aktiv cards too.

Pre SO, I found the following gave the best results (room dimensions, approx. L6m x W4.25m x H3m, average, pitched):

1) Bass extension maximised to 20Hz roll-off (dip switch +3?, can’t remember for sure).
2) Bass response output adjusted downwards (to suit room/speaker boundary response, -2dB to -3dB, from memory) by ear.
3) HF response adjusted downwards (-1dB from memory) by ear
4) I found placing the speakers as close as possible to front (rear?) wall and adjusting output downwards provided the fastest and most natural bass response at high volume levels, which is always my starting point.
5) Placing the speakers on the longer wall firing across the room without toe-in produced the overall most satisfying sonic picture and performance, personally speaking. The speakers are approximately 3m apart and 1.75m from side walls. This all helps mitigate unwanted side reflections and LF modal reinforcements by introducing useful asymmetry and gaps. I find close to the back wall is not a compromise but a clear preference with these speakers. Experimenting with further small positional changes has enabled further improvements. I have arrived at similar conclusions now in three different rooms with these Keltiks.

I have since kept the speakers in the same “optimised” position but am now using DS/SO. Subsequently, I have set the response on the active cards to neutral and now use SO bass and treble shelves (both adjusted downwards at frequency extremes) to achieve the best overall balance. In conjunction with SO engaged for modal combat, high powered active Keltiks driven by a DS front end continue to do the business.

As well as a few subtle adjustments to the default SO calculations I’ve also experimented instructively with custom filters to further negate the effects of rear wall speaker boundary interference and baffle step diffraction, notwithstanding the original design intent.

The above is all with modified Keltiks using Hiquphon OW2x and SEAS M15CH002, so for better or worse, they are not directly comparable with original spec. Keltiks, yet retain the same flavour and considerations.

Ultimately, there is no single perfect solution, but there are several good ones and many more bad ones amongst the million and one possible permutations of all the various elements.

I’m sure there is more mileage to be gained with digital Xover filters and further DSP enhancements, and Exakt Design has many appealing aspects, as well as one or two drawbacks from my perspective.

The acid test? I like to check how it all copes with Mr. R.L. Burnside playing Rollin’ Tumblin’ (Remix) from the album “Come on In” at 103 dB; it can sound bouncy, lively, articulate and deep, in both senses, or if you are not careful, a pile-driving, amorphous and heavy mess.
2017-10-04, 16:18
As a couple of the people above have said,it's best to experiment,not only with the settings,but also with positioning.

My house is an old timber framed cottage,and I had a lot of trouble getting a pair of Keltiks working properly in the room,and initially had the bass extension wound fairly far back.
Moving the speakers further into the room was quite beneficial,but the next move will probably horrify some,but it did work....I used the digital room correction hardware on the TAG AV32R/DP that I had and found that very useful in dialling out the room modes that were causing a lot of bass reinforcement over a narrow frequency band.

DSP can be useful,but it's not always easy to implement,and may detract from the overall sound.....I found it to be a worthwhile compromise given the room issues.