Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-12, 09:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn Krystal Mounting

Linn Krystal Mounting
2017-09-22, 19:06
Linn Krystal Mounting
This is my first post in this community and I´m sorry for my poor English.

I´m a glad owner of a new Krystal which was fitted by my dealer last week.
It really sounds amazing, but I notice, that its body has very little distance to the record surface (between 1-2 mm). So it collects a lot of dust in short time.
My dealer told me, that Linn-systems use to hang very deep - I can´t judge, because I never used a Linn-system before. My last one was an Ortofon Valencia.

The Krystal is mounted in an Ekos 2 in my LP12 with Radikal, Kore and Tramp 2.

Another question: What is the real output voltage of the Krystal? I´m only able to find different values: From 0,25 mV (Linn) up to 0,4 mV till 0,75 mV. But it seems to be louder than a Dynavector 20XL I had some time ago.

Kind regards from Germany

Klaus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-22, 19:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-22 19:44 by Glyn Ruck.)
RE: Linn Krystal Mounting
Output from David Williamson at Linn:

"It is very similar to the Klyde, as that was our starting point for this project to evolve the Klyde, using some of the lessons we learnt on the development of the Kandid.
(Sensitivity = 0.25mV +/- 1 dB @ 1kHz)

The manufacturer is not Lyra, they could not support the additional number of cartridges through their process. It is a Linn design, manufactured by Armour - who currently make the Kylde.

David"

Remember that cartridge output is dependent on record velocity & cutting & not stated here.

Typical Krystal ride height.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11228]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11225]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11226]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11227]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2017-09-22, 21:57
Thank you for your helpful answer!

Then it seems to be inevitable, that the Krystal accumulates more dust than my previous Ortofon Valencia.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Kind regards

Klaus
2017-09-22, 23:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-22 23:29 by Glyn Ruck.)
Buy a wet record cleaning machine & keep LP's spotless. Some speak highly of Onzow: ZeroDust - Stylus Cleaner. I have never used it.
2017-09-25, 08:23 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-25 15:02 by smokestack.)
If dust collection is sufficient to cause a noticeable accumulation, then it must be said that the records are probably too dusty !

If you don't want to get involved in any wet or invasive record cleaning, those narrow carbon fibre brushes can be handy to sweep up the surface dust . Then keep the records in anti-static sleeves.

The sleeves really do work to the keep the record surfaces clean... and stop them attracting that airborne dust in the first place.
2017-09-25, 10:11
Hi to all,
I too am a satisfied customer of a Linn Krystal. IMHO the best Linn cartridge I’ve owned (said by me who replaced a Troika with the Krystal!).
just a question. Which is the correct orientation of the arm/cartridge leads?
Each one of them has two sides: one side is black and the other is coloured. should the black side be attached to the arm or to the cartridge?
I noticed that the colored side has a loose mounting on the pins of my Ekos and because of this I connected the black side to the tonearm and consequently the coloured side to the cartridge (as done in the attachments 2 and 4). Am I correct?

regards. Francesco

No man is an island. No man is a sea.
2017-09-25, 13:42
The shape of the Krystal stylus might be such that it digs deeper into groove than your previous stylus, which inevitably will dig out some dust. If this is the case, the records you play more often should soon stop getting the stylus junked up.

I completely agree with smokestack, I use Nagaoka static sleeves on all my records and they simply don't attract dust anymore.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-25, 14:02
I used to get the same issue totustuus. I now use a carbon brush before playing each side. It only takes a couple of seconds and has been enough to prevent the cartridge building up dust like yours. I also use Silly Putty and green paper to take off any build up from the stylus itself.
2017-09-25, 17:13
Hello to everyone who answered me!

I never play dusty records and of course I use carbon- and other brushes to clean my records before I play them.
I also own a record cleaning machine.
I think, it could be a combination of the very low riding Krystal and an electrostatic problem.
Nothing changed in my turntable except the cartridge - the only obvious difference to my previous Ortofon Valencia is the small distance between Krystal and record surface. But this seems to be normal.

Kind regards

Klaus
2017-09-30, 09:35
If you compare the pictures above, then it seems to me that some of the mounted Krystals are used with a tracking force which is too low (looking to the angle of the diamond on the record surface).

My own Krystal is mounted lower.

Kind regards

Klaus