Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn Krystal Mounting

Linn Krystal Mounting
2017-09-30, 10:31 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 10:31 by LD100.)
RE: Linn Krystal Mounting
(2017-09-25 17:13)totustuus Wrote:  Hello to everyone who answered me!

I never play dusty records and of course I use carbon- and other brushes to clean my records before I play them.
I also own a record cleaning machine.
I think, it could be a combination of the very low riding Krystal and an electrostatic problem.
Nothing changed in my turntable except the cartridge - the only obvious difference to my previous Ortofon Valencia is the small distance between Krystal and record surface. But this seems to be normal.

Kind regards

Klaus

I think you have answered your own question that you have an electrostatic problem.

You may wish to consider a Milty Zerostat or Furutech Destat III.

Personally I use a Bib Groovstat Electronic 3000, circa 1976, but I don't think those are available any more. Sad
I give each record side a "treatment" before playing and have no problems with static or dust.Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-30, 15:38
Since buying an Okki Nokki cleaner I no longer have a dust problem or very little and absolutely NO static problems. I did have one which was really bad resulting in my dropping a brand new record after only playing one side! That was the last straw and so I forked out and invested in the best piece of audio equipment i have ever bought!

Linn Majik DS, Inneos 1 TB CD ripper, LP12, Ittok, Lingo3,Circus, Denon 309 MC, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x6 LK100 power amps, Kudos Tuner, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, mainly Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II speaker cables.
2017-09-30, 19:51
(2017-09-30 15:38)Wiltshireman Wrote:  Since buying an Okki Nokki cleaner I no longer have a dust problem or very little and absolutely NO static problems. I did have one which was really bad resulting in my dropping a brand new record after only playing one side! That was the last straw and so I forked out and invested in the best piece of audio equipment i have ever bought!

I agree, the Okki Nokki was one of the best pieces of audio equipment that I have ever bought.
2017-10-07, 13:48
In another forum (HiFi Cabin) someone reported that his Krystal was riding much higher when it came back from service:

"Well as of this morning I'm back in the Krystal Club - the 'cleaned' one has finally been returned to me. It bears the same stock number but it now rides much higher, i.e., it's belly no longer scrapes on the LP and collects dust so not quite sure how a clean has resulted in a cantilever realignment but there you go."

My Krystal, I already said that, is riding extremely low.
I´m not sure if this is correct this way.
Maybe Peter Swain can help me to get clear what is the correct height the cartridge must have.

Kind regards

Klaus
2017-10-07, 16:38
(2017-09-22 21:57)totustuus Wrote:  Thank you for your helpful answer!

Then it seems to be inevitable, that the Krystal accumulates more dust than my previous Ortofon Valencia.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Kind regards

Klaus
in addition to cleaning discs prior to playing, you could check that the styus hasn't acquired a fine hair around it's shank. These can be almost invisible, you'll need a magnifying lens to check, but act as a very effective catalyst for dust build up.
2017-10-08, 13:02 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-08 13:26 by totustuus.)
Thank you for your advice!

But, once again, the main problem is the extremely low riding Krystal (please compare with post before) and need a reliable information if this is correct.

Kind regards

Klaus
2017-10-08, 15:19 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-08 15:20 by Glyn Ruck.)
This picture I posted belongs to Peter Swain at Cymbiosis. It is a Krystal he mounted for member Wenge.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11225]

Picture courtesy of Peter Swain Cymbiosis
2017-10-08, 15:58
Thank you!

My Krystal is definitely riding lower - the cantilever is not damaged, because it sounds really amazing and there is no distortion.

Kind regards

Klaus
2017-10-08, 18:06
(2017-10-08 15:19)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  This picture I posted belongs to Peter Swain at Cymbiosis. It is a Krystal he mounted for member Wenge.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11225]

Picture courtesy of Peter Swain Cymbiosis
Yep that's mine. The naked body and method of fixing does mean that the Krystal will always be fairly close to the record surface as per the posted picture ........ Smile

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands
2017-10-09, 15:18
Mine is not a bad dust collector. I have to admit that I evaluate with my ears after my eyes have confirmed that the arm is parallel to the platter.

Does yours sound compromised in some way?

I’m not going to stick a feeler gauge under it to measure, but mine looks like the one Glyn posted.

FWIW, my records are clean, kept in anti-static liners, zapped with an ant-static gun, brushed with an anti-static brush before play, and played with the lid down. I clean them on an RCM when new, and usually never have to do it again.

On old records purchased second hand I often see dust, even after the RCM, but it is usually no longer present after the first play.

Just listen .... or not