Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Sound vibrations from NAS

Sound vibrations from NAS
2017-09-23, 11:35
Sound vibrations from NAS
Hi,

I'm in need of some advice.

I've bought a so-called "Silent" Qnap NAS, but guess what, it is driving me crazy with low sounding vibrations. I don't have a possible other location for it except in the same room where I am listening, so I was wondering if any of you here has some experience in getting rid of those vibrations.

I was thinking of placing it on a stone slab or something...

LP12・Ekos・Adikt・Lingo・Ikemi・Majik DSM・LK Aktiv system・Keilidhs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-23, 11:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-23 11:53 by pdcman.)
RE: Sound vibrations from NAS
Stone slab will probably amplify the sound. Something absorbent would be better. Try one of those small spongy slabs that I've seen in sports shops, cut to size. I'll take a look on the web now, and let you know.

This sort of material......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yoga-Mat-15mm-...1889019674
Find all posts by this user
2017-09-23, 12:05
The usual culprit on these occasions is the power supply, with the case acting as amplifier. In principle, I agree with pdcman, but the solution can be situation-dependant. How is the NAS positioned at present? Is it stacked with any other equipment? Does the NAS have SSDs or hard drives?

Ironically, the relatively inexpensive QNAP TS-131 I bought recently is almost completely silent. I have it out of the way in a corner on the (carpeted) floor, because there was a spare Ethernet socket at that position. If the room is completely still (so no music is playing) I can occasionally just hear the hard drive, but that is all.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-23, 12:19
Thank you for your reactions.

I think most sound is coming from the hard drive. I wanted to put more data on it then is currently available on any ssd, so I bought a WD red 10Tb.

I have stacked it above the two LK power amps, and that makes less noise then where I put it initially, on a wooden piece of furniture.
A sponge might be a good idea though, and I happen to have something like that here. I will check it and inform you of the results.

2017-09-23, 12:37
Perfect! Gone is the annoying rumble.
Thanks for the advice.

2017-09-23, 13:23
(2017-09-23 12:37)dikki Wrote:  Perfect! Gone is the annoying rumble.

Good news. Now that I know you have WD Reds in there, the problem is easily understood. It's all very well QNAP selling a 'silent' (which typically means 'fanless') NAS, but it isn't really going to be silent unless you put SSDs, with their higher cost and limited capacity, in it.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-09-23, 13:29
I haven't found the WD Reds particularly noisy. I think as the OP has fixed it with a sponge bob bottom, it could have been as simple as a loose foot.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-23, 13:44
(2017-09-23 13:29)timster Wrote:  I haven't found the WD Reds particularly noisy.

I suppose that it's a matter both of what you think is 'noisy' (which is situation dependent) and how the drives are mounted. The single WD Red in my QNAP NAS is, as I said, very quiet. The pair of Reds in my older Netgear NAS make quite a racket, and would be disturbing in my listening room.

David

2017-09-23, 15:19 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-23 15:23 by Briain.)
I have my NAS's in a small room next to my bedroom and though it has a door (which I keep closed), the vibrations from the disks were coupled into the shelf, then into the brick wall and I could hear it in the bedroom. I cut a piece of wood of similar size to the NAS, then under that, I placed an old piece of foam that I found kicking about. It was probably about 20 mm thick, but it compressed down to about 5 mm (and hasn't compressed any further over the past 3 years) and that totally sorted it.

The foam stops short of the wood at the back, this being because the NAS's centre of gravity is a bit forwards of the middle (due to the weight of the disks at the front) so you can fiddle about with the foam position until it ends up compressed evenly (rather than having the NAS tilting forwards).

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11230]

Picture shows NAS atop wood atop the compressed foam sheet; silence is golden, as they say! Smile

If you haven't got foam, an old towel folded to fit under the wood also works very well (that's what I used until I found the foam).

For the other NAS (the big chap with 6 disks) I used some Audio Technica isolation feet (meant for going under amplifiers) but only because I had a set kicking about in a junk box.

Bri

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-24, 16:15
I use Audioquest sorbothane feet under my Qnap, they isolate pretty well.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM1/Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Kudos /2 x C6100-D/Akubarik (externally active).