Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Recorded Music v / Nat King Cole

Nat King Cole
2017-09-24, 17:32 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-24 17:33 by Donald.)
Nat King Cole
While watching Gregory Porter sing "Mona Lisa" last night on Jools Holland I was reminded that I don't have a decent version of any of Cole's albums - either analogue or digital.

Any recommendations - must include " When I Fall in Love".

I do of course have GP's own tribute to Nat King Cole on pre-order - due for release on 27th October.

While Gregory Porter was head and shoulders above everyone else on Jools Holland - in all senses of that phrase - you've got to admit there was some strange stuff going on. For example, what was Camille all about - someone needs to tell her that she's not Héloïse Letissier??

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM/2 | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-24, 20:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-24 20:12 by Lexon.)
RE: Nat King Cole
Do you know if Gregory Porter has to wear that silly hat for medical reasons ?
2017-09-26, 08:34
(2017-09-24 20:11)Lexon Wrote:  Do you know if Gregory Porter has to wear that silly hat for medical reasons ?

He is generally elusive about the reason for the hat but in interview he referenced he had some skin surgery and that was why he wore the hat and would likely be wearing it for some time. He also added that everyone recognised him with it now and so it is probably going to stick around.
2017-09-26, 08:54
Steven Van Zandt from the East Street Band has away had a hat because he was badly scared in a car crash. As he got to his thirties people started to say he did it because of hair loss which is the case in some other musicians, The Edge springs to mind. I have not read any reason for Gregory Porter.
2017-09-26, 10:04
Hi guys - we're drifting

I don't really care if he turns up if full Highland Chieftain apparel - what a voice and an incredible band who have been with him for many years now!

Meantime ... while watching Gregory Porter sing "Mona Lisa" last night on Jools Holland I was reminded that I don't have a decent version of any of Cole's albums - either analogue or digital.

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM/2 | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-09-26, 11:12
As an introduction, this one is hard to fault.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM1/Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Kudos /2 x C6100-D/Akubarik (externally active).
2017-09-26, 11:33
(2017-09-26 10:04)Donald Wrote:  Hi guys - we're drifting

I don't really care if he turns up if full Highland Chieftain apparel - what a voice and an incredible band who have been with him for many years now!

Meantime ... while watching Gregory Porter sing "Mona Lisa" last night on Jools Holland I was reminded that I don't have a decent version of any of Cole's albums - either analogue or digital.

Donald, I do wish you wouldn't clutter up these threads with an insistence that we keep to the original point Big Grin

Feeling quite contrite I can only offer the 3 albums that I have that TBH I can't even remember buying now although I think one was possibly on offer from Qobuz. I am no expert but I quite liked dipping into each of these.

[Image: R-1787050-1267379446.jpeg.jpg]

The Unforgettable Nat King cole

1 Unforgettable
2 Dance Ballerina Dance
3 It's All In The Game
4 Let There Be Love
5 St. Louis Blues
6 A Beautiful Friendship
7 Let's Fall In Love
8 Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer
9 Pretend
10 Mona Lisa
11 When I Fall In Love
12 Nature Boy
13 Ramblin' Rose
14 Smile
15 Serenata
16 Tenderly
17 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing
18 Stay As Sweet As You Are
19 Love Letters
20 The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)

We have this one too -
[Image: 41CCgx4fJQL._SX425_.jpg]

Greatest Love Songs

It doesn't have your prerequisite track but it has some 'good toons'

Finally we have

The Wonderful World of Nat

This has 26 tracks all sung in Spanish and possibly came via my parents I think but have no idea how they came across it. I can only find the 24 english track listing and my Spanish is limited to 'He's from Barcelona' so.....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2017-09-26, 12:03
Just to add to my last post - I just clicked on the Brazilian Love Song and had no recollection of what this was. I had completely forgotten this one but it took me right back to my childhood and listening to this on the radio. I was probably moaning at the time Big Grin

Nat had such a wonderfully relaxed style.
2017-09-26, 13:53
I suggest checking out the wonderful Analogue Productions remastered Nat King Cole albums. I have 'Love is The Thing' & 'The Very Thought of You'. Orchestra conducted by Gordon Jenkins. Taken from the original Capitol master tapes.. To hear his voice on these is something extraordinary...

These are Hybrid SACD's, playable three different ways - CD Stereo layer, SACD Stereo layer, and SACD Layer Multichannel in three channel. Remastered for CD by Kevin Gray & Steve Hoffman.

Think they are also available on vinyl but you should check out the whole Analogue Productions Nat King Cole catalogue...

Main:Uni1.1/AKTuner/MichellTecnodec/OriginLive/Slee/StelloU3/Kinos/2250D/5125/Kabers/Trikan/Sekrits/Sizmik/Hutter/Silver/Blacks/K600/400's
Second: Classik & Diskreets/Sekrits / HD600.
2017-09-26, 20:04 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-26 20:12 by dan steel.)
[Image: 001b35a9.jpeg]

[Image: CAPP-903-SA-Nat-King-Cole-Just-One-of-Th...20x600.jpg]

[Image: CAPSA782.jpg]

I have these three Cole albums on Analogue Productions vinyl, stunning albums.Cool

I have never met Napoleon
But I plan to find the time