Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 18:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn LP 12 Purchase

Linn LP 12 Purchase
2017-09-25, 02:10
Linn LP 12 Purchase
Hello
I've beed offer a deal on a LP 12 and I'm truing to figure out if its worth it.
I want a table that I can get a new power supply and my own power supply.
the buyer has backed out and I have a chance at it. I could use your help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152708346229
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-25, 17:17 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-25 17:29 by kiko65.)
RE: Linn LP 12 Purchase
(2017-09-25 02:10)theoman Wrote:  Hello
I've beed offer a deal on a LP 12 and I'm truing to figure out if its worth it.
I want a table that I can get a new power supply and my own power supply.
the buyer has backed out and I have a chance at it. I could use your help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152708346229

Where are you located? Buying used LP12s online can be risky business and you may end up spending much more than you bargain for in order to get it 100% operational.

Is there a Linn dealer close to where you live? Maybe they can assist you with your questions.

What do you mean by "a table that can get a new power supply and my own power supply"? Are you planning to install a new Linn PS, third party PS, or your own designed PS?

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Majik Standard Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + AkurateD CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2x AV5125D + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2017-09-25, 17:34
Have you tried phoning a Linn dealer and asking how much a new LP12 in the same state (ie not all parts there) would cost and then decide if that one, with all its unknown history, wear etc is worth it?

‘troll
2017-09-25, 19:12
(2017-09-25 17:34)moomintroll Wrote:  Have you tried phoning a Linn dealer and asking how much a new LP12 in the same state (ie not all parts there) would cost and then decide if that one, with all its unknown history, wear etc is worth it?

‘troll

a new table in the same state is 3K. I went ahead a bought it I figure I will put it between VPI Scout and my AR ES-1 and decide witch one has to go. I'm guessing it will be the AR.

I have a Valhalla power supple. Now I need to look for a ToneArm.
As for upgrading the power supply I was looking at the HERCULES II or the Mose + Hercules II . not sure about the Mose and Hercules. I haven't seen much about it.

but could us your help.
2017-09-25, 20:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 20:22 by kiko65.)
(2017-09-25 19:12)theoman Wrote:  
(2017-09-25 17:34)moomintroll Wrote:  Have you tried phoning a Linn dealer and asking how much a new LP12 in the same state (ie not all parts there) would cost and then decide if that one, with all its unknown history, wear etc is worth it?

‘troll

a new table in the same state is 3K. I went ahead a bought it I figure I will put it between VPI Scout and my AR ES-1 and decide witch one has to go. I'm guessing it will be the AR.

As for upgrading the power supply I was looking at the HERCULES II or the Mose + Hercules II . not sure about the Mose and Hercules. I haven't seen much about it.

but could us your help.

$1300.00 USD is a lot of money for a used LP12 without PS and tonearm (hopefully the cirkus bearing is in top shape with no signs of wear) Cool

I would keep the Valhalla (as long as it has been recapped, serviced, and brought up to optimal conditions) and save for a well preserved Lingo, or even better, a late Lingo 2.

Expert set up is a must to make this table sing the way it was intended. I highly recommend that you take it to a Linn dealer if you are not familiar with the Sondek LP12. Please visit Cymbiosis "LP12 Set-up - a brief overview" thread (under Important Threads) if you insist on doing it yourself.

Any Linn tonearm would work with the current armboard. As for the cartridge, the AT-95e, Ortofon Red, or AT-F2 are good places to start.

The Rega RB220, Rega RB330, Project 9cc and the Roksan Nima are also good choices but you will need a new armboard to fit any of these other non Linn options.

Congrats and enjoy Tongue

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Majik Standard Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + AkurateD CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2x AV5125D + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2017-09-26, 01:27 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-26 01:28 by theoman.)
(2017-09-25 20:21)kiko65 Wrote:  

‘troll

but could us your help.

Ouch!
$1300.00 USD is a lot of money for a used LP12 without PS and tonearm (hopefully the cirkus bearing is in top shape with no signs of wear) Cool

I would keep the Valhalla (as long as it has been recapped, serviced, and brought up to optimal conditions) and save for a well preserved Lingo, or even better, a late Lingo 2.

Expert set up is a must to make this table sing the way it was intended. I highly recommend that you take it to a Linn dealer if you are not familiar with the Sondek LP12. Please visit Cymbiosis "LP12 Set-up - a brief overview" thread (under Important Threads) if you insist on doing it yourself.

Any Linn tonearm would work with the current armboard. As for the cartridge, the AT-95e, Ortofon Red, or AT-F2 are good places to start.

The Rega RB220, Rega RB330, Project 9cc and the Roksan Nima are also good choices but you will need a new armboard to fit any of these other non Linn options.

As for a tonearm I have a spare SME 3009 and for cartridges I have a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC on my VPI and also a spare Sumiko Blue point no2

How is that Mose + Hercules II combo they are selling on Ebay from China?
2017-09-26, 13:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 20:24 by kiko65.)
(2017-09-26 01:27)theoman Wrote:  
(2017-09-25 20:21)kiko65 Wrote:  

‘troll

but could us your help.

Ouch!

As for a tonearm I have a spare SME 3009 and for cartridges I have a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC on my VPI and also a spare Sumiko Blue point no2

How is that Mose + Hercules II combo they are selling on Ebay from China?

The SME will require another armboard drilled for this type of tonearm, not expensive but necessary.

Never owned the HerculesII+Mose but have listened to it extensively as my good friend Larry owns an LP12 with this particular PS unit. Nothing wrong with the Hercules but in my honest opinion, it is more a side move than an improvement. You will have to move up the ladder to the Mober Maxon PSU (known as the Stamford DC motor), a Lingo 1, or a Lingo 2 to really appreciate the difference.

My two cents Big Grin

2017-09-26, 17:36 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-26 17:37 by Daddy Dom.)
Hi Theoman and welcome along.
Just in case anyone might misconstrue your "Ebay from China" description of the Mose/Hercules as being negative, I can personally vouch - as have others on this forum - for both the product and its designer, Edmund.

He also contributes to the forum under that name, in case you had any direct questions for him. Go ahead, he's a nice guy and actually based in Hong Kong. I have no connection to Edmund other than a positive experience when my Mose/Hercules needed back-to-base repairs after it was damaged while being fitted (not by me!).

The advice around a used Lingo is good, as long as you are in a country where good used ones turn up regularly - or don't mind shipping charges. I am not and so the Mose/Herc has been a great way to improve things when my Valhalla went west.

Hope that helps,
DD

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
2017-09-26, 19:38
(2017-09-26 17:36)Daddy Dom Wrote:  Hi Theoman and welcome along.
Just in case anyone might misconstrue your "Ebay from China" description of the Mose/Hercules as being negative, I can personally vouch - as have others on this forum - for both the product and its designer, Edmund.

He also contributes to the forum under that name, in case you had any direct questions for him. Go ahead, he's a nice guy and actually based in Hong Kong. I have no connection to Edmund other than a positive experience when my Mose/Hercules needed back-to-base repairs after it was damaged while being fitted (not by me!).

The advice around a used Lingo is good, as long as you are in a country where good used ones turn up regularly - or don't mind shipping charges. I am not and so the Mose/Herc has been a great way to improve things when my Valhalla went west.

Hope that helps,
DD

thanks daddy

I think I'm going with that after I play it for awhile. As for the tone arm I'm up in the air. I like the pro-ject carbon. and as for the Linn I know nothing about them and don't know what one is better is there a ranking?
2017-09-26, 22:31 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-26 22:35 by Daddy Dom.)
Sure, other arms will work - in greater or lesser degrees - but Linn's arms are designed specifically to work well with the LP12. One anomaly is the Pro-Ject arm as Linn uses this on the Majik LP12. You'll learn a lot about good and bad non-Linn arms to use all over the Forum. Like many of us, your choice will be down to your chosen budget.

Yes, there certainly is a ranking and this extends across both current and obsolete arms in their many iterations. Unless you are buying new, it's down to the individual arm in question, ie, a cared-for lower-end arm can be better than a tired higher-end one.

Find your nearest Linn dealer and talk to them about your needs and budget. They sometimes get arms traded and you will need a relationship with them at some point. If you don't have one nearby, members can sometimes help on specific arms you might have unearthed.

BTW, that looks like a nice deck, those parts seem in good condition - BUT - you're a while away from a deck that really sings and only then can you decide which other one has to go.
DD

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.