Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn LP 12 Purchase

Linn LP 12 Purchase
2017-09-27, 01:58
RE: Linn LP 12 Purchase
(2017-09-26 22:31)Daddy Dom Wrote:  Sure, other arms will work - in greater or lesser degrees - but Linn's arms are designed specifically to work well with the LP12. One anomaly is the Pro-Ject arm as Linn uses this on the Majik LP12. You'll learn a lot about good and bad non-Linn arms to use all over the Forum. Like many of us, your choice will be down to your chosen budget.

Yes, there certainly is a ranking and this extends across both current and obsolete arms in their many iterations. Unless you are buying new, it's down to the individual arm in question, ie, a cared-for lower-end arm can be better than a tired higher-end one.

Find your nearest Linn dealer and talk to them about your needs and budget. They sometimes get arms traded and you will need a relationship with them at some point. If you don't have one nearby, members can sometimes help on specific arms you might have unearthed.

BTW, that looks like a nice deck, those parts seem in good condition - BUT - you're a while away from a deck that really sings and only then can you decide which other one has to go.
DD

I'm in houston and the nearest dealer is in Dallas. My budget for a tonearm is under 1k
as for the power supply I'm leaning to the Mose/Hercules
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-27, 02:09
(2017-09-27 01:58)theoman Wrote:  I'm in houston and the nearest dealer is in Dallas. My budget for a tonearm is under 1k
as for the power supply I'm leaning to the Mose/Hercules

You will find Audio Concepts in Dallas most helpful even over the phone. (They were my Dealer when I lived there)
2017-09-27, 04:03 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 14:06 by kiko65.)
I think that everybody here is trying to tell you that this TT needs more than a PS, tonearm, and cart to make it sing. You are seeking for advise, please listen to these people. Building an LP12 is not a science, is a work of art. Get it right and you will be floored, get it wrong and you will be disappointed.......

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, 2015 Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125 Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s
2017-09-27, 04:55
(2017-09-27 04:03)kiko65 Wrote:  I think that everybody here is trying to tell you that this TT needs more than a PS, tonearm, and cart to make it sing. You are seeking for advise, please listen to these people. Dressing an LP12 is not a science, is a work of art. Get it right and you will be floored, get it wrong and you will be disappointed.......
Thanks. I'm learning
2017-09-27, 12:34
(2017-09-27 04:55)theoman Wrote:  
(2017-09-27 04:03)kiko65 Wrote:  I think that everybody here is trying to tell you that this TT needs more than a PS, tonearm, and cart to make it sing. You are seeking for advise, please listen to these people. Dressing an LP12 is not a science, is a work of art. Get it right and you will be floored, get it wrong and you will be disappointed.......
Thanks. I'm learning

We are all learning here, that's what I love about this forum Tongue

After 30+ years in this hobby and 15+ different turntables, there is no other turntable I would rather own......Wink

There is an expected hierarchy with Linn, the source comes first. You start with the table and you build from the inside out: bearing, PSU, sub-chassis, tonearm, cartridge, phono pre, preamp, amp, speakers, cables............

The table looks really nice and already having the Cirkus bearing is a big plus. Good luck with the rest and let the fun begin Big Grin

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, 2015 Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125 Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s
2017-09-27, 15:39 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 15:41 by theoman.)
(2017-09-27 12:34)kiko65 Wrote:  
Thanks. I'm learning

After 30+ years in this hobby and 15+ different turntables, there is no other turntable I would rather own......Wink

There is an expected hierarchy with Linn, the source comes first. You start with the table and you build from the inside out: bearing, PSU, sub-chassis, tonearm, cartridge, phono pre, preamp, amp, speakers, cables............

The table looks really nice and already having the Cirkus bearing is a big plus. Good luck with the rest and let the fun begin Big Grin

So whats first? Tonearm or power supply or chassis? I see a Linn basic selling today on ebay. I may grab that to get a feel for the table. I don't see many other tonearms for sale except a Pro-Ject 9cc that I like alot! I was offered a Akito 2B for 800.00 and a Ekos for 1350. But don't know anything about if they are good or bad.

I have a SME 3009 and a extra tonearm board. Maybe I should try this first, I haven't see any posting that talk about SME's on the table.
2017-09-27, 15:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 16:06 by LD100.)
(2017-09-27 15:39)theoman Wrote:  I have a SME 3009 and a extra tonearm board. Maybe I should try this first, I haven't see any posting that talk about SME's on the table.

Back in 1978 when I bought my LP12, Linn did not make any tone arms.
I couldn't afford a Fidelity Research arm, so I settled for a SME Series III.

For about 23 years, I felt the SME really didn't let the LP12 live up to it's potential. Then around 2002 I got the funds together for a Ekos II.
Boy oh boy, what a difference. Big Grin

But that's just me with my system in my listening room. You might want to listen to the SME for a while before stepping up to a Ekos...that way you will really recognize that the money for the Ekos was money well spent. Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-09-27, 17:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 18:37 by kiko65.)
(2017-09-27 15:39)theoman Wrote:  
(2017-09-27 12:34)kiko65 Wrote:  
Thanks. I'm learning

So whats first? Tonearm or power supply or chassis? I see a Linn basic selling today on ebay. I may grab that to get a feel for the table. I don't see many other tonearms for sale except a Pro-Ject 9cc that I like alot! I was offered a Akito 2B for 800.00 and a Ekos for 1350. But don't know anything about if they are good or bad.

I have a SME 3009 and a extra tonearm board. Maybe I should try this first, I haven't see any posting that talk about SME's on the table.

Linn recommends to start from the inside out in this order: bearing, PSU, sub-chassis, tonearm, cartridge, phono pre, preamp, amp, speakers, cables............

You already have the Cirkus bearing. The Valhalla is a pretty good PS provided it has been recapped and serviced for optimal performance.

The Basik is good, the Akito 2B better, the Ekos best, provided tonearm bearings are in optimal shape. Avoid Akito 1s which are prone to sticky bearings. The Ittok VLII is also a very good choice, very musical and built like a tank and should sit between the Akito 2B and the Ekos in terms of performance.

I must say this, my two LP12 have been expertly put together and always serviced by David Mingace from Mingace Custom Sound Inc. I would never be able to make my LP12s sing like David does. Please take Glyn's advise and call Audio Concepts in Dallas.

2017-09-27, 21:25 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 21:28 by Daddy Dom.)
Yup, if you can possibly stretch to it - and it's known to be a good one - jump on the Ekos as they rarely come up. That would put you in another league right away. If you go for the Akito, Scottish-made ones are the improved model over the Japanese.

Regarding Valhalla vs. Lingo vs. Mose/Hercules: if you have any 45s - whether 7"/12" singles or 45rpm audiophile LPs - you would have to use a manual adaptor with the Valhalla. It is such a tight fit over the motor pulley that many people don't like doing this. The Lingo and Herc/Mose both play 45rpm at the touch of a switch.

It's not unusual for owners to take a road trip to get their 'tables sorted. With enough warning, possibly the dealer could do it while you wait - or watch.

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
2017-09-28, 03:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-28 03:12 by theoman.)
(2017-09-27 21:25)Daddy Dom Wrote:  Yup, if you can possibly stretch to it - and it's known to be a good one - jump on the Ekos as they rarely come up. That would put you in another league right away. If you go for the Akito, Scottish-made ones are the improved model over the Japanese.

Regarding Valhalla vs. Lingo vs. Mose/Hercules: if you have any 45s - whether 7"/12" singles or 45rpm audiophile LPs - you would have to use a manual adaptor with the Valhalla. It is such a tight fit over the motor pulley that many people don't like doing this. The Lingo and Herc/Mose both play 45rpm at the touch of a switch.

It's not unusual for owners to take a road trip to get their 'tables sorted. With enough warning, possibly the dealer could do it while you wait - or watch.

Do you think the Ekos for 1350 to high? should I try playing with my SME for awhile?
for the other tonearms I don't see any for sale. How does the Project factor in all this?