Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 21:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn LP 12 Purchase

Linn LP 12 Purchase
2017-09-28, 09:52
RE: Linn LP 12 Purchase
In Linn terms, the ProJect is entry-level and not engineered from birth to match the LP12. It is suitable, though, and affordable.

Pricewise, you'll have to decide what "too high" means. I don't know the price of the new Ekos SE or what used ones sell for in the US. Logically, the last retail price I can find from a 2007 Stereophile review has the newly upgraded Ekos SE at $5k. So for an older one, $1,350 may be a steal, not just because it's about a quarter of that but more importantly, if you can't find another for sale, $1,350 becomes the going rate. There's a Mk2 online in the UK for £1495 - what age is the one you've seen and has it been checked out? My late Ekos Mk2 was NZ$1,5k from my Linn dealer against a retail of almost $8k so I bought it in a heartbeat.

To use your SME (usable but never seen as an ideal match for the LP12) you'd need another arm-board with the correct mount in the meantime until you get your preferred arm. For my money, I would say wait and shoot for the best you can.

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-28, 10:21
(2017-09-28 09:52)Daddy Dom Wrote:  In Linn terms, the ProJect is entry-level and not engineered from birth to match the LP12. It is suitable, though, and affordable.

Pricewise, you'll have to decide what "too high" means. I don't know the price of the new Ekos SE or what used ones sell for in the US. Logically, the last retail price I can find from a 2007 Stereophile review has the newly upgraded Ekos SE at $5k. So for an older one, $1,350 may be a steal, not just because it's about a quarter of that but more importantly, if you can't find another for sale, $1,350 becomes the going rate. There's a Mk2 online in the UK for £1495 - what age is the one you've seen and has it been checked out? My late Ekos Mk2 was NZ$1,5k from my Linn dealer against a retail of almost $8k so I bought it in a heartbeat.

To use your SME (usable but never seen as an ideal match for the LP12) you'd need another arm-board with the correct mount in the meantime until you get your preferred arm. For my money, I would say wait and shoot for the best you can.

At $1350 I would assume that it’s an Ekos 1, not an SE.

‘troll
2017-09-28, 15:56
(2017-09-28 03:11)theoman Wrote:  
(2017-09-27 21:25)Daddy Dom Wrote:  Yup, if you can possibly stretch to it - and it's known to be a good one - jump on the Ekos as they rarely come up. That would put you in another league right away. If you go for the Akito, Scottish-made ones are the improved model over the Japanese.

Regarding Valhalla vs. Lingo vs. Mose/Hercules: if you have any 45s - whether 7"/12" singles or 45rpm audiophile LPs - you would have to use a manual adaptor with the Valhalla. It is such a tight fit over the motor pulley that many people don't like doing this. The Lingo and Herc/Mose both play 45rpm at the touch of a switch.

It's not unusual for owners to take a road trip to get their 'tables sorted. With enough warning, possibly the dealer could do it while you wait - or watch.

Do you think the Ekos for 1350 to high? should I try playing with my SME for awhile?
for the other tonearms I don't see any for sale. How does the Project factor in all this?

$1200 - $1400 sounds about right for the Ekos 1 in the USA market but there is always the risk of damaged bearings when buying used. Reason why its recommended to buy from reputable Linn dealers, even if buying used.

You could try the SME but, IMHO, you will not get the full Linn Sondek LP12 experience. Even the affordable Linn Basik Plus will provide you with a more musical presentation and experience. The Linn Ittok LVII goes for about $700-$800 used and its a much better option. I love this tonearm, both of my decks are fitted with one Big Grin

In the non Linn category, the Project 9cc is a good choice, the Roksan Nima is better. Both will require new armboard and a little expert work setting them up properly on an LP12.

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125 Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s
2017-09-30, 21:03 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 21:08 by theoman.)
(2017-09-28 15:56)kiko65 Wrote:  
(2017-09-27 21:25)Daddy Dom Wrote:  Yup, if you can possibly stretch to it - and it's known to be a good one - jump on the Ekos as they rarely come up. That would put you in another league right away. If you go for the Akito, Scottish-made ones are the improved model over the Japanese.

Regarding Valhalla vs. Lingo vs. Mose/Hercules: if you have any 45s - whether 7"/12" singles or 45rpm audiophile LPs - you would have to use a manual adaptor with the Valhalla. It is such a tight fit over the motor pulley that many people don't like doing this. The Lingo and Herc/Mose both play 45rpm at the touch of a switch.

It's not unusual for owners to take a road trip to get their 'tables sorted. With enough warning, possibly the dealer could do it while you wait - or watch.

Do you think the Ekos for 1350 to high? should I try playing with my SME for awhile?
for the other tonearms I don't see any for sale. How does the Project factor in all this?

$1200 - $1400 sounds about right for the Ekos 1 in the USA market but there is always the risk of damaged bearings when buying used. Reason why its recommended to buy from reputable Linn dealers, even if buying used.

You could try the SME but, IMHO, you will not get the full Linn Sondek LP12 experience. Even the affordable Linn Basik Plus will provide you with a more musical presentation and experience. The Linn Ittok LVII goes for about $700-$800 used and its a much better option. I love this tonearm, both of my decks are fitted with one Big Grin

In the non Linn category, the Project 9cc is a good choice, the Roksan Nima is better. Both will require new armboard and a little expert work setting them up properly on an LP12.

Well It showed up today, Could you guys tell me what I bought? I have no idea.                    

(2017-09-30 21:03)theoman Wrote:  

Here's more

Here's more

More pictures

2017-09-30, 21:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 21:58 by LD100.)
(2017-09-30 21:03)theoman Wrote:  More pictures

It looks to me like a very nice LP12...the plinth looks well cared for. I see hinges, but no lid.

It appears to have the circus upgrade, with a good valhalla board installed.

You have one older (mounted on the turntable) and one newer style arm board and both appear to be cut out for Linn arms.

So some fresh oil and belt, a tone arm and cartridge and you should be good to go, unless I'm missing something. Smile

Oh, and please resist putting the platter together and spinning the bearing without any oil. Please be patient and wait until you fill the bearing with Linn oil.

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-10-01, 00:18
The table looks in good order. That doesn't mean that everything works properly. The bearing well needs to be clean properly to avoid contamination before pouring the recommended black Linn oil, a new belt is in order, make sure that the suspension kit bounce properly , service your Valhalla PSU, find a tonearm of your liking, install the Evo and.....heaven Nirvana!!!!!

That said, your comment about "tell me what I bought, I have no idea" worries me a bit. Call your nearest Linn dealer to set it up properly. As stated before, a Sondek LP12 may well be the best turntable you will ever own as long as it's set up properly. Otherwise you may be disappointed and you cannot blame it on the table.

Happy listening!

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125 Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s
2017-10-01, 01:19
(2017-10-01 00:18)kiko65 Wrote:  The table looks in good order. That doesn't mean that everything works properly. The bearing well needs to be clean properly to avoid contamination before pouring the recommended black Linn oil, a new belt is in order, make sure that the suspension kit bounce properly , service your Valhalla PSU, find a tonearm of your liking, install the Evo and.....heaven Nirvana!!!!!

That said, your comment about "tell me what I bought, I have no idea" worries me a bit. Call your nearest Linn dealer to set it up properly. As stated before, a Sondek LP12 may well be the best turntable you will ever own as long as it's set up properly. Otherwise you may be disappointed and you cannot blame it on the table.

Happy listening!

Where can I buy the oil online? As for setting it up it looks like I'll be looking for a work stand and will have to use the set by step instructions on the thread. nearest shop is in Dallas. Unless anyone knows someone in Houston?
2017-10-01, 02:52
(2017-10-01 01:19)theoman Wrote:  Where can I buy the oil online?

One example:
https://www.cymbiosis.com/estore/

And you can always phone AudioConcepts and see if they will ship you the parts that you need. TX 214 360 9520 Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-10-01, 12:32
Looks like you've bought a 1990s Cirkus deck. Much potential there, or service and leave as-is.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP!2 Wakonda/Black Ittok/K18, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2017-10-01, 16:15
(2017-10-01 01:19)theoman Wrote:  
(2017-10-01 00:18)kiko65 Wrote:  The table looks in good order. That doesn't mean that everything works properly. The bearing well needs to be clean properly to avoid contamination before pouring the recommended black Linn oil, a new belt is in order, make sure that the suspension kit bounce properly , service your Valhalla PSU, find a tonearm of your liking, install the Evo and.....heaven Nirvana!!!!!

Happy listening!

Where can I buy the oil online? As for setting it up it looks like I'll be looking for a work stand and will have to use the set by step instructions on the thread. nearest shop is in Dallas. Unless anyone knows someone in Houston?

Let me ask David to find out if he knows anyone in Houston. There are a few LP12 on sale in Audiogon. Contact the sellers to see if they are willing to break the table apart and sell the tonearm separately. Also, a Basik Plus is selling for $250.00 on eBay. Both of your armboards are cut for Linn tonearms.