Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 05:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Album art ALAC

Album art ALAC
2017-09-25, 14:05
Album art ALAC
I would be obliged if anyone could point me in the right direction in how to add album art to my music files.I run Minimserver on a Synology NAS.Everything I have is in an Apple environment and music is ALAC encoded.I have trawled through many threads but none seem to fit my particular circumstances.I have looked at dougscripts but am unsure if this is what I should be looking at.Can I maintain ALAC encoding without having to reconvert?
Any help would be very much appreciated particularly if full chapter and verse could be given as to exactly how this could be accomplished.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-25, 14:16
RE: Album art ALAC
The editor of choice for Mac is Metadatics:
https://www.markvapps.com/metadatics
You can read in your ALAC albums, add the album art. It won;t convert to anything else.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-26, 15:57
I would use mp3tag - it's a Windows application but there is a version that runs flawlessly on a Mac:

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html

However, I recommend installing a package manager which allows this to be installed and updated easily in the future

https://brew.sh

Once installed you can type from the terminal:

brew cask install mp3tag

or:

brew cask reinstall mp3tag

if there is an update.
2017-09-26, 16:01
(2017-09-26 15:57)SoundAdikt Wrote:  I would use mp3tag - it's a Windows application but there is a version that runs flawlessly on a Mac:

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html

However, I recommend installing a package manager which allows this to be installed and updated easily in the future

https://brew.sh

Once installed you can type from the terminal:

brew cask install mp3tag

or:

brew cask reinstall mp3tag

if there is an update.

The Mac OS for mp3tag needs a Windows wrapper though (something called Wine).

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-26, 17:21
Yes, but it's all completely transparent from the install methods above.
2017-09-26, 21:17
Hi,
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but why not just use iTunes…? You don't have to use iTunes for anything else than tagging in case you've found something more to your liking. Myself, I have about 100000 tracks in iTunes properly tagged with artwork, all ALACs on a server running Kazoo and Asset. Has worked brilliantly for many many years now.

Doug's scripts work really great in conjunction with iTunes and you might want to check out "Restore Artwork from Album Folder" and "Save Album Art as folder.jpg".

The former will embed artwork from an image file (i.e. folder.jpg or something) already placed in the same folder as the audio files, the latter will do the opposite; extract the artwork to a jpg named folder.jpg and place in the same folder as the track(s).

There's no need to re-convert anything, just embed.

Best,
Thomas
2017-09-27, 09:40
Many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.I must admit to still being somewhat confused.In my iTunes library on my iMac most albums have album art, but many do not.On my Synology NAS the only track that has album art is a free track downloaded from Linn.I again would very much appreciate a step by step approach to the easiest way to accomplish this whether this is through iTunes or otherwise.Thanks again.
2017-09-27, 09:48
I haven't read up on Minim or anything other server software being happy with Asset etc, so I'm unsure if Minim handles embedded art or not.

But if Minim relies on a separate image file ("folder.jpg") to display art in the control point then you can just select all albums you have in iTunes, let Doug's script extract the artwork and rescan your audio files.

iTunes usually displays album art but it isn't actually embedded in the audio files. That might be why things seem odd.
2017-09-27, 10:02
(2017-09-27 09:48)fetish230 Wrote:  I haven't read up on Minim or anything other server software being happy with Asset etc, so I'm unsure if Minim handles embedded art or not.

But if Minim relies on a separate image file ("folder.jpg") to display art in the control point then you can just select all albums you have in iTunes, let Doug's script extract the artwork and rescan your audio files.

iTunes usually displays album art but it isn't actually embedded in the audio files. That might be why things seem odd.

Yes, Minim does handle embedded art, according to the following rules:
http://minimserver.com/ug-library.html#Artwork

For the OP, I would suggest downloading metadatics (https://www.markvapps.com/metadatics) and try it with a copy of an album. When happy, then you can do it on all your library that needs doing it.

Alternatively, as you are using Minim, you don;t need to embed the artwork - just find the artwork (Google Image search, or Qobuz is a good source) at 600x600 size is usual, and then just copy that into the album directory calling it folder.jpg.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-27, 10:20
Yeah, I thought Minim did - anything else would have been weird… And I'm sure Metadatics is excellent, just haven't tried it myself.

However, since the artwork already is available in iTunes the OP can just let the script make the "folder.jpg" and don't have to trawl the web for images. More time to drink, gamble and womanize…