Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-12, 09:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Album art ALAC

Album art ALAC
2017-10-01, 08:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-01 08:26 by Hagen2000.)
RE: Album art ALAC
iTunes is storing the album artwork in a separate database and normally does not embed it into each audio track. This saves storage space but is a bit inconvenient when working with external software (i.e. Kazoo, Kinsky etc.).
If you don't like working with scripts, you can manually extract the album artwork from each album using the following steps:

Open an album in iTunes so all tracks are shown.
Right click a track to show it's information.
Switch to the cover tab.
Drag the cover to your desktop (iTunes should not be run in full screen mode).
Now right click again a track and select "show in finder".
Move the saved image from desktop to this folder.
Rename the image to "folder.jpg" and let minimserver rebuild it's index.
Now the cover should be available.

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 08:54
(2017-10-01 08:24)Hagen2000 Wrote:  iTunes is storing the album artwork in a separate database and normally does not embed it into each audio track. This saves storage space but is a bit inconvenient when working with external software (i.e. Kazoo, Kinsky etc.).
If you don't like working with scripts, you can manually extract the album artwork from each album using the following steps:

Open an album in iTunes so all tracks are shown.
Right click a track to show it's information.
Switch to the cover tab.
Drag the cover to your desktop (iTunes should not be run in full screen mode).
Now right click again a track and select "show in finder".
Move the saved image from desktop to this folder.
Rename the image to "folder.jpg" and let minimserver rebuild it's index.
Now the cover should be available.

If you want to do this with less clicks check this:

https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/s...p=embedart

Dougs Applescripts are very helpful and I use the "Embed Album Artwork Script" almost on a daily basis.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-10-01, 11:19
Dougs "Embed Album Artwork Script" however is doing something different. It is embedding the artwork to every track and thus consuming more space than creating only one "folder.jpg" file. Furthermore it is modifying each track and thus touching the tracks date/time.

Depending on the media server used, embedded artwork will work more ore less reliable.

When extracting the artwork manually, you can optionally verify that the image size is strictly quadtratic and that it is not too large.

For albums iTunes doesn't supply album artwork - and that are many / about 20% of mine - you have do make some manual step either way.

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
2017-10-01, 17:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-01 18:33 by fetish230.)
That's right, the script the OP should use is Save Album Art as folder.jpg. It will take the artwork already downloaded by iTunes and make the jpg, so the artwork doesn't have to be embedded for the script to work properly.

That script also allows you to resize the artwork. Probably only downsize, not sure, but upsizing will be of no benefit as it will look awful anyway.

The Embed Album Artwork script is the exact opposite.
2017-10-02, 12:53
My question has obviously generated a lot of interest for which I am very grateful.Hopefully in the next few days I will have some time to try some of your suggestions.Thanks again to all who have responded.
2017-10-02, 16:43
Just managed to do my first album.Thanks to all concerned particularly to Hagen2000 who gave step by step instructions.