Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 16:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / Space Optimisation

Space Optimisation
2017-09-25, 17:33
Space Optimisation
Why is Bose not included in the list of the Speaker manufacturers ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-25, 22:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-25 22:11 by BB1.)
RE: Space Optimisation
Please don’t take it personally, but to me Bose is an acronym for 'buy other sound equipment'. Even the best SO in the world would not be able to compensate all of the things Bose speakers do wrong. Most likely the only thing SO could do, is to equalize the boominess out of a speaker that was designed to be boomy.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-09-26, 02:14
BB1,

What does SO stand for ?

Bose has been around for more than 50 years; cannot be that bad. Linn is 20 years short. Out of the subject, what is for you the best Brand for mini-speakers (Bose like-size speakers) ?

Couldn't the reason for Bose not to be included in the list of the Speaker manufacturers rather be that the Bose ADAPTiQ audio calibration may conflict with the Linn Space optimisation ?
2017-09-26, 11:31
(2017-09-26 02:14)Pat - Sekrit DSM Wrote:  BB1,

What does SO stand for ?

Bose has been around for more than 50 years; cannot be that bad. Linn is 20 years short. Out of the subject, what is for you the best Brand for mini-speakers (Bose like-size speakers) ?

Couldn't the reason for Bose not to be included in the list of the Speaker manufacturers rather be that the Bose ADAPTiQ audio calibration may conflict with the Linn Space optimisation ?

SO = Space Optimization
Sorry Pat, but Bose was founded in 1964 and Linn in 1973, so only 9 years difference, not 20.
You'll have to be more specific, what you mean by "Bose-size". If you mean the 301's, there's no problem finding a similar-sized speaker in Linn's range, Majik 109 for instance.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM1/Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Kudos /2 x C6100-D/Akubarik (externally active).
2017-09-26, 12:06
9 years difference only, you right, my bad ! Both have been around for more than 40 years; cannot be that bad ! ;-)

I was referring to OmniJewel speakers or Virtually Invisible® Series II speakers.

Don't you think that the reason for Bose not to be included in the list of the Speaker manufacturers is that the Bose ADAPTiQ audio calibration may conflict with the Linn Space optimisation ?

It'd be nice if some Linn staff could also step in.
2017-09-26, 13:29
If the speakers are missing you can model them as point sources. Works well. /HB
2017-09-26, 14:19
(2017-09-26 12:06)Pat - Sekrit DSM Wrote:  9 years difference only, you right, my bad ! Both have been around for more than 40 years; cannot be that bad ! ;-)

I was referring to OmniJewel speakers or Virtually Invisible® Series II speakers.

Don't you think that the reason for Bose not to be included in the list of the Speaker manufacturers is that the Bose ADAPTiQ audio calibration may conflict with the Linn Space optimisation ?

It'd be nice if some Linn staff could also step in.

It may be. The same would be true for Dutch&Dutch.
I don't know enough about Bose to answer, but they are not the only brand that aren't measured for space, and there may be many reasons. I don;t think Bose are likely speakers in a Linn system (although Sekrit-type installations may be an exception).

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-26, 14:28
(2017-09-26 13:29)HansBertil Wrote:  If the speakers are missing you can model them as point sources. Works well. /HB

Umm, not sure point source would apply for generic/unknown speakers. You'd get the room corrections and maybe very approximate speaker optimisations based on assumptions.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-26, 14:36
This is more of a question than a statement. I'm not sure that Bose market unpowered speakers any more. Does the Linn list of speakers measured for SO include any powered speakers other than Linn's own?

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-26, 20:29
(2017-09-26 14:28)timster Wrote:  
(2017-09-26 13:29)HansBertil Wrote:  If the speakers are missing you can model them as point sources. Works well. /HB

Umm, not sure point source would apply for generic/unknown speakers. You'd get the room corrections and maybe very approximate speaker optimisations based on assumptions.

Hmm, if the point source does not apply on generic/unknown speakers when should it then be used? Space Optimsation provides room correction based on position of the bass sources and ports in the room. To my knowledge no other speaker oprimisation is involved in SO. I think problem arises if you use a point source model on a speaker with multiple woofers and/or ports placed on the cabinet rear. On the other hand it is recommended to fine-tune the proposed response by ear. If this is properly done the point source model should work on any speaker.