Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / Majic DSM software update fail

Majic DSM software update fail
2017-09-25, 20:21
Majic DSM software update fail
Good evening
Yesterday I was notified of a software update to my Majic DSM through both Konfig and the player itself. I chose the Konfig update path and it failed...about 4 times. Not only did it fail but the streaming feature also stopped. It had been working until the update attempt. Now the only features working were the phono and CD inputs. A tad annoying. As the player was still visible in Konfig I then opted to reboot the unit seeing no other course of action available to me. I was then left with a flashing lightening bolt on the DSM player which appears to be in a frozen and thus unusable state. Very annoying as the player is now no longer visible in Konfig. I have since performed a "Fallback" (button on the back of the player next to the network port) with the same result...totally stuck with the lightening bolt flashing.
Does anyone have any ideas of where I go from here to get the player functional again?
Many thanks, Shaun
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-26, 10:26
RE: Majic DSM software update fail
Hi Shaun,

When you see the lightning bolt on the front panel of the DS, this means that the DS is in "fallback". Fallback is a minimal and highly stable version of the firmware, and is designed solely to allow the DS to be updated/recovered (this is why it doesn't show up as normal in Konfig, and why you're unable to play any audio while in fallback).

Now, onto the problem of getting your DS back into a usable state. The first thing to do is check to see if the firmware has actually successfully been updated, in case Konfig has reported a false-negative at the end of the update process. You can do this by switching the DS off and back on, via the rocker switch on the DS or at the mains socket; whichever is accessible.

If the DS still goes back into fallback following that, with the lightning bolt on the front panel, the software update hasn't been successful. Is your DS on a wireless network or a wired network? If it is on a wireless network, would it be possible to connect the DS to a wired network, along with the PC/Mac that you are using to update the DS? You can then try update via Konfig again. With the DS in fallback, it will show up under the "UPDATES" tab in Konfig, but with a lightning bolt symbol instead of the normal image of your DS.

Could you try the steps above and let us know how you get on?

Regards,
Gregg
2017-09-26, 10:29
And don’t use your email address as your username, unless you want a ton of spam...

‘troll
2017-09-26, 17:08
Hi Gregg,
Many thanks for the information. It is now resolved, but not by me doing anything complicated; I left the unit on overnight (still lightening bolt in the morning) BUT on observing Konfig I was again notified of an update. Previously this was not evident or the DSM listed in the Konfig GUI. I applied the update...it failed. However, the DS is now working as expected; a little weird. I'm going to leave as is for the moment and not attempt to apply this update.
Regards, Shaun