Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / Measuring

Measuring
2017-09-26, 13:54
Measuring
Going to have a play with SO.

Whats the best tool to use to accurately measure distances etc?

Any tips/watch outs before I start?

Thanks.

Stu.

Akurate Sondek LP12 - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-26, 14:13
RE: Measuring
If you can get a laser measure for the room dimensions, that would be good. But otherwise, and for speaker distances and listening position, a good ol' fashioned tape measure will do nicely.
First tip: Follow the Linn guide, and save the profile between changes.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-26, 14:28
(2017-09-26 14:13)timster Wrote:  If you can get a laser measure for the room dimensions, that would be good. But otherwise, and for speaker distances and listening position, a good ol' fashioned tape measure will do nicely.
First tip: Follow the Linn guide, and save the profile between changes.

I agree with timster. The laser measure is better at what it can do, but it can't do everything. That said, life will be easier if you have both kinds of measure to hand.

Second tip: if your room is an awkward shape, such that you find that you have to make some kind of compromise on the values you enter (e.g. for a room height that varies in some way), it's usually easier to experiment in the first instance with different notional room dimensions than to tweak the calculated room mode values.

And, yes, do save the profile. You can always delete anything you find you don't need.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-26, 14:35
Also, use 'save as'. You can't have to many backups. Smile

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-26, 14:59 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-26 15:02 by Donald.)
Laser measuring device for room dimensions but I do find a good old fashioned tape measure useful for Ideal and Practical Speaker locations.

And just to reiterate Save, Save As, Save As etc etc. - give them a name that means something to you, not just Version 1, Version 2 ...

As DavidHB said above " ... it's usually easier to experiment in the first instance with different notional room dimensions than to tweak the calculated room mode values" - I found this extremely useful when trying various options to take account of my bay window.

I also keep manual paper records as well as Excel spreadsheets as you never know when the SO Muse will appear dispensing wisdom - or was that Paulssurround!

And finally, Space Optimisation does not have a "z" ! Big Grin

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-09-26, 15:02
It can haz!

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-26, 15:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-26 15:34 by Paulssurround.)
(2017-09-26 13:54)Stu22 Wrote:  Going to have a play with SO.

Whats the best tool to use to accurately measure distances etc?

Any tips/watch outs before I start?

Thanks.

Stu.

A good place to start would be to post pictures of your room from different angles, so we can see the room shape and layout.

This will help to get advice from the wisdom of the crowd.

(2017-09-26 14:59)Donald Wrote:  Laser measuring device for room dimensions but I do find a good old fashioned tape measure useful for Ideal and Practical Speaker locations.

And just to reiterate Save, Save As, Save As etc etc. - give them a name that means something to you, not just Version 1, Version 2 ...

As DavidHB said above " ... it's usually easier to experiment in the first instance with different notional room dimensions than to tweak the calculated room mode values" - I found this extremely useful when trying various options to take account of my bay window.

I also keep manual paper records as well as Excel spreadsheets as you never know when the SO Muse will appear dispensing wisdom - or was that Paulssurround!

And finally, Space Optimisation does not have a "z" ! Big Grin

On this side of the pond, optimization is spelled with a "z"

If I spell it with an "s", spelling correction will change it to a "z"

Yup, really. I am not making it up, no sirree. It's true. Yes it is. Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-09-26, 15:44
Should add - read the Linn guide all the way through first to get a good picture. Take it in, then you can apply the right methods according to your setup.

And as well as "save as.." ing as often as practicable, also Export to your backed-up drive between sessions.

Paul really said:
"Yup, really. I am not making it up, no zirree. It'z true. Yez it iz."

Zo there.
Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-26, 15:45
Thanks all.

If I can renember how to post pictures, I will take some shots later.

All sounds a bit complex.

Akurate Sondek LP12 - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
2017-09-26, 15:58
(2017-09-26 15:45)Stu22 Wrote:  All sounds a bit complex.

If you look at it as one big lump, it can seem that way. But you can take it step by step, and none of the individual steps is all that difficult.

Do the basics first, and let the system do the calculations. Then try listening with SO on and off, and see which you prefer. Post your findings here, and there will be useful suggestions as to what you can do next.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko