Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-18, 04:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Increasing M109 bass performance

Increasing M109 bass performance
2017-09-29, 16:37
RE: Increasing M109 bass performance
True enough for headphones (Exakt is also irrelevant for that) if that's the priority.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-29, 16:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-29 16:46 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-29 16:26)Matteo Wrote:  Yes, AEDSM and MDSM cost is near the same (€ 3,330 / € 3,150), but it seems that with AEDSM you have no chance to connect a pair of headphones, except using one digital out to an external DAC/heaphones amp, losing Exakt and having to spend extra money ...

That is correct, except that you wouldn't want either Space Optimisation or Exakt on a headphone output, as both of these are speaker-related.

Interestingly, KEDSM owners (of whom I am now one) have no way at all to connect headphones to the DSM, as its only non-Exakt output is HDMI, and is intended as a pass-through port for video signals.

IIRC (I haven't checked), the MDSM is the only DSM with analogue outputs that can be separately configured as volume controlled and unity gain. I'm not sure why this feature was omitted from the ADSM - something to do with the fixed value analogue attenuation, perhaps.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
2017-09-29, 17:05
There is the OpenHome Player/MultiRoom workaround for headphones. But I agree, it's hardly convenient. I think Harvey found it worked well for him.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-29, 17:12
(2017-09-29 16:16)Matteo Wrote:  Another option came to mind: sell AK/1, A2200, CXN and go Exakt with MDSM / MExaktbox ...

Another option for more bass (rather than buying a sub for the 109) could be to keep an eye open for second hand 242s, and selling the 109s would take quite a dent out of the overall spend.

Just another thought for the pot.

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-29, 17:20
(2017-09-29 17:12)Briain Wrote:  Another option for more bass (rather than buying a sub for the 109) could be to keep an eye open for second hand 242s, and selling the 109s would take quite a dent out of the overall spend.

Bri

109 are the only speakers on the Earth that SWMBO allows to keep in our living room ...

LP12 / Kore / Trampolin 2 / Akito 2b / Radikal / Adikt / T-Kable
Cambridge CXN - Silver
AK/1 - Silver - A2200/1
K200/Knekt / M109
2017-09-29, 18:37
(2017-09-29 17:20)Matteo Wrote:  109 are the only speakers on the Earth that SWMBO allows to keep in our living room ...
I really think KCT followed by KK1 is the best way to substantially improve bass quality and punch (not to mention overall enjoyment), now that Exakt is out of the equation. Unless you want deeper bass, in which case a sub makes sense.

I doubt an arm upgrade will make that much difference in this regard, although been a long time since I upgraded my Akita. Urika is great too so maybe that should come before KK - not sure. KK definitely adds bass weight and punch compared to AK.

This goes against source first theory but this is not about musicality/tunefulness. If it were, then a Keel would be first port of call.

This all assumes you have Cirkus bearing.
2017-09-29, 21:17 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-29 22:47 by Briain.)
(2017-09-29 17:20)Matteo Wrote:  
(2017-09-29 17:12)Briain Wrote:  Another option for more bass (rather than buying a sub for the 109) could be to keep an eye open for second hand 242s, and selling the 109s would take quite a dent out of the overall spend.

Bri

109 are the only speakers on the Earth that SWMBO allows to keep in our living room ...

Well, simply move SWMBO and 109s to another room (paint and Hoover it first; easier to sell it as being a gesture of coolness rather than a nefarious HiFi upgrade strategy) then fit a stout lock on the existing lounge door, install a set of 242s (and at least a couple of subs; preferably more) and then everybody - other than the neighbours - will be almost moderately quite happy(ish)! Even if they aren't, with some 242s and a whole bunch of subs stomping out the big beats, you'll simply never hear anyone pounding on the door to complain about all the noise (apart from the odd ASBO and the few terms jail, that strategy has very nearly almost worked quite well for me*).

Bri Wink

*PS Of course, that last part was a complete and utter lie! Please do excuse my dubious sense of humour; I might well be capable of generating loads of tuneful bass lines, but I am really quite incapable of generating anything even vaguely sensible about the maintenance of domestic harmony! Tongue Big Grin

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-09-29, 21:50
I’ve been using a sub with my M140’s for a couple of months now, and haven’t looked back.
I would say go with a sub, definitely.

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Majik Kontrol, Majik C4100 x 2, Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Bases), Majik 126, Denon DCD-A100 SACD, Lumin D1, Lumin L1, Chord 2QUTE
2017-09-29, 21:59 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 04:42 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2017-09-28 20:52)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-09-28 17:33)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  REL, Velodyne DD & JL Audio are always a safe buy.
Sadly not quite, as far as REL is concerned anyway.

The older RELs, the St series (Stadium, Stentor, Storm, Strata and Stampede) were very good, but after mr. Lord sold the company it went downwards very quickly and the more modern REL subwoofers are a far cry from the older models. The newer models were configured more towards home cinema solutions (reflex ports, higher frequency crossovers).

It seems that BK Elec had been building most part of the old St Series, so their models resemble those the best, which makes them potentially very interesting.
Currently a few people have succesfully integrated BK Elec subs into their systems with somewhat smaller speakers, but I am hoping that Briain will order one too so he can test them with his 350s. Maybe I should send him a bottle of wine as an incentive. Wink
I really hope they pull it off: my old RELs won't live forever.

Yes Sadly ~ I was talking the old REL's as people here seem to buy quite a bit of used. (should have warned of sliding reputation). Hang on to your's. I also forgot the Paradigm Reference servo Signatures that have impressed me.

Velodyne DD's are as fine as ever (probably the reference ~ stunningly low true distortion for a sub) & JL Audio has done a great job over the last few years. I have always used Velodyne servos but have great respect for JL Audio. Yes agree ~ I don't need chuffing ports etc in my life ~ I want tight & fast to keep up with Maggie speed). I only use my 4 Velodynes below 35Hz

If I was buying right now I would not even consider a sub without built in room correction. I also believe in an absolute minimum of stereo subs.
2017-10-02, 08:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 08:46 by Matteo.)
(2017-09-29 18:37)charlie1 Wrote:  I really think KCT followed by KK1 is the best way to substantially improve bass quality and punch (not to mention overall enjoyment), now that Exakt is out of the equation. Unless you want deeper bass, in which case a sub makes sense.

I doubt an arm upgrade will make that much difference in this regard, although been a long time since I upgraded my Akita. Urika is great too so maybe that should come before KK - not sure. KK definitely adds bass weight and punch compared to AK.

This goes against source first theory but this is not about musicality/tunefulness. If it were, then a Keel would be first port of call.

This all assumes you have Cirkus bearing.

Charlie1, you're an analogue boy like me.

Some months ago, I visited my dealer after a problem with my Akito.
For curiosity, I did a listen with my LP12 and MDSM/MExaktbox with 140 and I was very impressed by the results (yes, room and speakers were different ...).

M.

LP12 / Kore / Trampolin 2 / Akito 2b / Radikal / Adikt / T-Kable
Cambridge CXN - Silver
AK/1 - Silver - A2200/1
K200/Knekt / M109