Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 16:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Chord Cable Co Streaming Cable.

Chord Cable Co Streaming Cable.
2017-09-30, 14:52
Chord Cable Co Streaming Cable.
At the Bristol show last year The Chord Company demoed what must be their cheapest cable, a C-stream 'streaming' cable. I have not forgot the massive improvement it offered over a as supplied or a just plain cheapo cable so today I popped into Audio T in Swindon and bought two to connect my Majik DS to a splitter, I use one from Linksys, and my Inneos CD ripper. It takes moment to swap and as expected the differences are huge especially in bass depth. Its far too early to say more but initially I feel there is a far more sense of ease to the music, everything seems more open and detailed and by the time I had finished writing this their is more punch to the bass let alone depth and quantity. Yet more to come I reckon. Smile

Linn Majik DS, Inneos 1 TB CD ripper, LP12, Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Denon 309 MC, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x6 LK100 power amps, Kudos Tuner, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II cables.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-30, 14:58
RE: Chord Cable Co Streaming Cable.
(2017-09-30 14:52)Wiltshireman Wrote:  Yet more to come I reckon. Smile

From where, exactly ?

Regards, Mike
2017-09-30, 15:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 15:45 by Wiltshireman.)
Hi Mike, Not too sure if your comment is a genuine ask or if you have made a fun comment? I perhaps should have said 'more improvements to happen I reckon when the cables have burnt in and are working at their best'.

Linn Majik DS, Inneos 1 TB CD ripper, LP12, Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Denon 309 MC, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x6 LK100 power amps, Kudos Tuner, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II cables.
2017-09-30, 15:48
(2017-09-30 15:43)Wiltshireman Wrote:  Hi Mike, Not too sure if your comment is a genuine ask or if you have made a fun comment? I perhaps should have said 'more improvements to happen I reckon when the cables have burnt in and are working at their best'.

Sorry, it wasn't genuine. There's no such thing as "burn in" for Ethernet cables. You're not passing an analogue (pre-amp, interconnect) signal. Unfortunately the only burn here is your pocket...

Regards, Mike
2017-09-30, 16:27
I think you're going to far to say that Mike, with all due respect. I have a trio of AQ Forest because:
a) they do something better than normal cables, whether it's shielding or the uni-directional nature of their design I don't know but they are better, and
b) I have tried the Chord C-Streams and AQ Cinnamons, and found the former were actually worse to my ears, and the Cinnamons were no different to the Forests.
To my ears.
But definitely a difference between all four.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-30, 17:32
Each to their own...

'troll
2017-09-30, 17:35
(2017-09-30 16:27)timster Wrote:  To my ears.

And, very probably, "in my system" is an equally important caveat.

Anything that happens in the digital domain has to find its way (or affect something) in the analogue domain to affect sound quality - assuming, of course, that the perceived change of sound quality is not just an artefact of the listener's mental processes. In other words, there has to be a mechanism of change. I suspect that much of the mechanism (especially if or when it relates to the propagation of noise) will be system or context dependent. "Ethernet cable x sounds different/better" may well be a statement that, if it is valid at all, is valid only for a particular system and setup.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-30, 17:41
(2017-09-30 16:27)timster Wrote:  I think you're going to far to say that Mike, with all due respect. I have a trio of AQ Forest because:
a) they do something better than normal cables, whether it's shielding or the uni-directional nature of their design I don't know but they are better, and
b) I have tried the Chord C-Streams and AQ Cinnamons, and found the former were actually worse to my ears, and the Cinnamons were no different to the Forests.
To my ears.
But definitely a difference between all four.

Unfortunately, that cuts both ways. There's no prof they do anything better (certainly no concept of directionality applies) and they'd have to be very long cables for shielding to be a contributing factor. So, it's more likely a probability of confirmation bias. Ethernet is Ethernet (not just 1/0, but packet/frame and not a simple analog signal to degrade). You can't polish bits - but you can enhance your thoughts.

Regards, Mike
2017-09-30, 18:30 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 18:31 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-30 17:41)MikeSpragg Wrote:  There's no proof they do anything better (certainly no concept of directionality applies) ...

'No proof' is not the same thing as 'it can't happen'.

(2017-09-30 17:41)MikeSpragg Wrote:  and they'd have to be very long cables for shielding to be a contributing factor.

How do you know this? What mechanism are you assuming is at work?

(2017-09-30 17:41)MikeSpragg Wrote:  So, it's more likely a probability of confirmation bias.

A non sequitur, I'm afraid. I may have reservations about timster's conclusion (indeed, I do), but unless I can prove him wrong, I cannot reasonably question the validity of his mental process.

(2017-09-30 17:41)MikeSpragg Wrote:  Ethernet is Ethernet (not just 1/0, but packet/frame and not a simple analog signal to degrade). You can't polish bits - but you can enhance your thoughts.

Ah, the old 'bits and bytes' argument rears its head (packets and frames are still bits and bytes). Could you, just possibly, conceive that there might be other, unintended, stuff in that Ethernet cable, apart from those digital packets we all hold so dear? And could it just be that this unintended (indeed unwelcome) stuff is essentially analogue and not digital in character? And might it just conceivably be possible that a different ("better") cable, like a good club bouncer, stops this riff-raff from getting into the more sensitive parts of our systems? Now we've no proof (that I know of) that this is what happens. But we've no proof that it doesn't happen, either.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-30, 18:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 18:54 by MikeSpragg.)
(2017-09-30 18:30)DavidHB Wrote:  Ah, the old 'bits and bytes' argument rears its head (packets and frames are still bits and bytes). Could you, just possibly, conceive that there might be other, unintended, stuff in that Ethernet cable, apart from those digital packets we all hold so dear? And could it just be that this unintended (indeed unwelcome) stuff is essentially analogue and not digital in character? And might it just conceivably be possible that a different ("better") cable, like a good club bouncer, stops this riff-raff from getting into the more sensitive parts of our systems? Now we've no proof (that I know of) that this is what happens. But we've no proof that it doesn't happen, either.

David

The problem is, David, it's not an argument - it's a fact. The technology this is based on is 40 years+ and has not changed. The real problem is, a lot of people see a cable and believe it's in the audio domain. When it's not, it's IT. The cables *have* changed (CAT 5, 6, 7 etc) but only to support higher speeds (= higher transfer rates, 10/100/1000/10GbE etc).

That is why, when you look at *any* data centre (and I've seen many) you can clearly see different cables from different manufacturers with different lengths (patch cables through to floor and inter-floor infrastructure) and they are all based on the same IEEE standard. If they were some form of "disturbance in the drift" then we'd have anarchy. Bits (not things but 1/8th of a byte) would start flipping randomly and they simply don't. Take a look at any NIC and look at the CRC error count - it's unlikely to be high (and anything above 1 is normally where a cable is pulled on a live comms).

So, no - I don't accept the argument as you put it - simply because there is no quantifier for "enhanced bass, treble, burn-in, whatever" when you are talking about a cable in the IT domain.

As for interference, again, most unlikely unless there is a lot of externally generated "noise" being created elsewhere (and I don't believe a simple network cable would stop that as, surely, it would travel up the mains cable in the same way ? or any other cable).

Besides, wouldn't this exhibit itself in some other way ? Like increased mains hum, crackling or distortion (if it's genuine interference) - rather than adding to sound quality ? That's the part that is genuinely confusing for me. If we agree you can't add or take anything away (to the packet/CRC) then the only thing left is outside interference which would manifest itself in some other way, surely?

Regards, Mike