Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?

Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?
2017-09-30, 17:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 17:52 by To be a Rock and not a Roll.)
Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?
I'm back after a few years off Linn Forum..... Tongue
So I find myself retired and a bit of time on my hands, and of course when to get older (please note not old Big Grin ) you get a little impatient, although I'm sure my wife would say I have always been a little impatient.
Anyway I'm thinking binning off upgrade fever, flogging all my existing gear and going straight to Klimax 350a & DSM, let me concentrate on the music and drastically reduce my black box and silver interconnects count !
I have consider this before but in the past it would have meant selling my weekender sports car, never an option for me, but thanks to the generous change on final salary pensions I'm in the lucky position to 'have my cake and eat it' ( I've heard that somewhere recently )
Have you ever cleaned the decks and started again ?
Or
Did you ever go straight to your 'forever' System ?

Am I missing something on the choice, I'm not a technical fiddler or electronics expert, so I know there are other options but I think alloting this sort of cash is more than enough, plus I traded off the bigger speakers with less boxes with my wife Wink

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
And a lot of Dummies books on IPads, Home networks and Windows 8
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-30, 18:07
RE: Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?
wellcome back Rock!
If you don't mind the money your plan is good. Go for it. Focussing on music is a very good idea and building a simpler System as well.
I would consider other options (see my sig) but your way is not too bad I might say. Don't know about your room size but maybe Akubariks are the even better choice, depends. 350's need a lot of air to boogie. Given the budget at your hands pretty sure you'll be able to get a demo at home for both.

If I may: keep your LP12.

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II
2017-09-30, 18:12
(2017-09-30 18:07)golke53 Wrote:  wellcome back Rock!
If you don't mind the money your plan is good. Go for it. Focussing on music is a very good idea and building a simpler System as well.
I would consider other options (see my sig) but your way is not too bad I might say. Don't know about your room size but maybe Akubariks are the even better choice, depends. 350's need a lot of air to boogie. Given the budget at your hands pretty sure you'll be able to get a demo at home for both.

If I may: keep your LP12.

Thanks Golke53 Smile
I have a refresh plan for the LP12, service, new cartridge, sexy plinth Big Grin
My room is pretty big so I'm sure I'll be good on space but point taken on the speaker option
Cheers it's good to ge back Cool

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
2017-09-30, 22:16
Welcome back Rock. You've a lot of catching up to do!

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-30, 22:26
I would go for it definitely. As said prior if your room can take the Klimax you will not be disappointed. One thing you will not miss are all the wires, so much neater. One thing you should be wary of if you've just retired is that you will (hopefully) find so much to do. I remember some one saying to me that you can't listen to music everyday. Sometimes I think I listened to more when I was working.
2017-09-30, 22:27
(2017-09-30 18:12)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  I have a refresh plan for the LP12, service, new cartridge, sexy plinth Big Grin
Go on, Max out the LP!2, assuming that you have the vinyl collection to get the undoubted benefits that this would bring ....... Big Grin

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands
2017-10-01, 05:16
A Klimax DSM driving a pair of 350’s is an excellent choice.

They do rock and roll.

Even better if you spring for the Klimax Katalyst DSM.

If you have a chance to listen to the new Katalyst Exakt options, I think you will be more than impressed.

So many options, so little time.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-10-01, 10:35
(2017-09-30 22:16)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Welcome back Rock. You've a lot of catching up to do!

Ha ha.... You know me too well !
I’m so flippin lazy, I have to confess I only just applied space optimisation to the Keltiks the other week, and wow wee what a treat that was, in my defence I blame work and illness for my particular slowness in last 2 years but I’m slowly catching up on Exaxt and Katalyst
But I assume there is other good stuff for my attention and reading ?

2017-10-01, 10:42
(2017-09-30 22:26)Scooter Wrote:  I would go for it definitely. As said prior if your room can take the Klimax you will not be disappointed. One thing you will not miss are all the wires, so much neater. One thing you should be wary of if you've just retired is that you will (hopefully) find so much to do. I remember some one saying to me that you can't listen to music everyday. Sometimes I think I listened to more when I was working.

I know what you mean, it’s a tricky balance, me time versus the rest of the pressures to get stuff done, fortunately my wife and I concluded we simply didn’t have time or the expertise to get all the outstanding jobs on the house down, so before I retired we splashed some cash on contractors to get all the 10 year plus outstanding jobs done !
However I suspect it will be quickly filled with other stuff Sad

2017-10-01, 10:53
(2017-09-30 22:27)Wenge1 Wrote:  
(2017-09-30 18:12)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  I have a refresh plan for the LP12, service, new cartridge, sexy plinth Big Grin
Go on, Max out the LP!2, assuming that you have the vinyl collection to get the undoubted benefits that this would bring ....... Big Grin

Yes I’m thinking of driving to Leicester with a pocket full of money, my LP12 has sadly become very secondary, the cartridge is over 20 years old, it hasn’t seen a service for a similar period, the output cable is shocking, and while it did get some investment with the lingo, circus and 5 years ago a Uphorik it’s far from where it could and should be.....
My 21 year son has taken an interest in vinyl and building up a little collection, so I think it’s just the sort of boost I need to get to the place I want Smile