Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 14:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?

Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?
2017-10-01, 11:04 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 16:53 by To be a Rock and not a Roll.)
RE: Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?
(2017-10-01 05:16)Paulssurround Wrote:  A Klimax DSM driving a pair of 350’s is an excellent choice.

They do rock and roll.

Even better if you spring for the Klimax Katalyst DSM.

If you have a chance to listen to the new Katalyst Exakt options, I think you will be more than impressed.

So many options, so little time.

Your so right about options, and to be honest I’m trying to a little blinkered on those ‘other’ options like 350p and 8 solos etc etc and the thought about thrown out of the Keltik Masonic Lodge Big Grin
The deal I have started to pull together doesn’t have Katlyst, but from the limited reading I have done it seems a no brainer, so despite saying I am leaving upgrade fever behind I’m not closed to that sort improvement ( Renew MDS anyone ? Wink )

Also I suspect I will be sucked into the LP12 improvements vortex sooner rather than later Rolleyes

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
And a lot of Dummies books on IPads, Home networks and Windows 8
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 20:37
(2017-09-30 17:51)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  Did you ever go straight to your 'forever' System ?

ever? many times .. Tongue

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon
2017-10-01, 21:17
(2017-10-01 20:37)fschmeis Wrote:  
(2017-09-30 17:51)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  Did you ever go straight to your 'forever' System ?

ever? many times .. Tongue

I guess it’s how you define ‘forever’ Big Grin Big Grin

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
2017-10-02, 16:23
(2017-10-01 10:53)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  
(2017-09-30 22:27)Wenge1 Wrote:  
(2017-09-30 18:12)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  I have a refresh plan for the LP12, service, new cartridge, sexy plinth Big Grin
Go on, Max out the LP!2, assuming that you have the vinyl collection to get the undoubted benefits that this would bring ....... Big Grin

Yes I’m thinking of driving to Leicester with a pocket full of money, my LP12 has sadly become very secondary, the cartridge is over 20 years old, it hasn’t seen a service for a similar period, the output cable is shocking, and while it did get some investment with the lingo, circus and 5 years ago a Uphorik it’s far from where it could and should be.....
My 21 year son has taken an interest in vinyl and building up a little collection, so I think it’s just the sort of boost I need to get to the place I want Smile
On a more pragmatic note; if you decide to go for the full Monty on your LP12 you won't believe the difference this will make. But if your vinyl collection is limited or indeed you have decided that it will always take second place, than implementing some more judicious changes to your LP12 will give you better value for your spend. Of course, if you afford to sort out both your LP12 and digital music sources / system to the max then spoil yourself for sure ....... Cool

Whichever way you decide to go, enjoy the journey and the outcome ............ Big Grin

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands
2017-10-02, 16:59
RE: Flog the lot and start again at the top ! ?hour
(2017-10-02 16:23)Wenge1 Wrote:  
(2017-09-30 18:12)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  I have a refresh plan for the LP12, service, new cartridge, sexy plinth Big Grin
Go on, Max out the LP!2, assuming that you have the vinyl collection to get the undoubted benefits that this would bring ....... Big Grin

Yes I’m thinking of driving to Leicester with a pocket full of money, my LP12 has sadly become very secondary, the cartridge is over 20 years old, it hasn’t seen a service for a similar period, the output cable is shocking, and while it did get some investment with the lingo, circus and 5 years ago a Uphorik it’s far from where it could and should be.....
My 21 year son has taken an interest in vinyl and building up a little collection, so I think it’s just the sort of boost I need to get to the place I want Smile
On a more pragmatic note; if you decide to go for the full Monty on your LP12 you won't believe the difference this will make. But if your vinyl collection is limited or indeed you have decided that it will always take second place, than implementing some more judicious changes to your LP12 will give you better value for your spend. Of course, if you afford to sort out both your LP12 and digital music sources / system to the max then spoil yourself for sure ....... Cool

Whichever way you decide to go, enjoy the journey and the outcome ............ Big Grin

‘Too late Doctor..... we’ve lost this one’ !

‘He just spent an hour looking at plinths from the US of A’

‘ Mrs Rock, we are sorry for your loss, we did our very best but this often happens when the patience declares he’s given up on upgrades ‘

Big Grin

2017-10-02, 21:58
(2017-10-02 16:59)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  

‘ Mrs Rock, we are sorry for your loss, we did our very best but this often happens when the patience declares he’s given up on upgrades ‘

Big Grin
Well I can't really comment on C.H. plinths without having to declare a rather large amount of self interest ...... Rolleyes Their bloody gorgeous ........ Cool

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands
2017-10-03, 07:34
(2017-10-02 21:58)Wenge1 Wrote:  
(2017-10-02 16:59)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  
(2017-09-30 22:27)Wenge1 Wrote:  .

Big Grin
Well I can't really comment on C.H. plinths without having to declare a rather large amount of self interest ...... Rolleyes Their bloody gorgeous ........ Cool

I have never spent a significant amount of money on a piece of art, but I intend to Cool

2017-10-04, 10:51
Strangely enough, I did the reverse in some ways. I first started to get more seriously in to hifi reproduction in my early 20s and as I started earning more, started to invest in upgrades. But then I found myself listening to the upgrades more than the music.

On one trip to the dealer they had just installed an active isobarik system, and frankly I was completely blown away. I went out and considered the implications of just buying it lock stock and barrel and bypassing the whole upgraditis journey that I could see unfolding. To be fair to my wife, she saw the logic and we kept the basis of that system for 20+ years with mainly just the odd LP12 upgrade from time to time, and of course many cartridges.

Of course, as a predominantly vinyl user, as the LP12 improved, it just kept invigorating the whole experience (source first etc,) I no longer use isobariks but have friends who do, and every time I hear them they just connect me straight back to the music. Anyway, I digress, but the point is, it can be worth pushing the boat out in terms of investing in something that really rocks your boat. Particularly if you take the long term view and treat it as an investment rather than a purchase.
2017-10-04, 14:09
(2017-10-04 10:51)TPA Wrote:  Strangely enough, I did the reverse in some ways. I first started to get more seriously in to hifi reproduction in my early 20s and as I started earning more, started to invest in upgrades. But then I found myself listening to the upgrades more than the music.

On one trip to the dealer they had just installed an active isobarik system, and frankly I was completely blown away. I went out and considered the implications of just buying it lock stock and barrel and bypassing the whole upgraditis journey that I could see unfolding. To be fair to my wife, she saw the logic and we kept the basis of that system for 20+ years with mainly just the odd LP12 upgrade from time to time, and of course many cartridges.

Of course, as a predominantly vinyl user, as the LP12 improved, it just kept invigorating the whole experience (source first etc,) I no longer use isobariks but have friends who do, and every time I hear them they just connect me straight back to the music. Anyway, I digress, but the point is, it can be worth pushing the boat out in terms of investing in something that really rocks your boat. Particularly if you take the long term view and treat it as an investment rather than a purchase.

Thanks.....
Indeed I really like your last point, around it being an investment rather than a purchase, because that’s what I see ( or should I saw hear ) Despite the fact I’m not a wholesale consumer of music, I wouldn’t dream of buying 10 new albums a month, I am happy to dip in and out of my music as the mood takes me, nor would I feel obliged to consume more music because I had made a large cash investment.
If I could achieve a splendid mix of excitement and contentment then I think I will have invested wisely Cool

2017-10-04, 15:54
...but if you want to enjoy the process of swapping stuff out to hear the difference they make you could research the end game then plot a 12 month plan to get there.
You might like to do that or you might consider that a waste of time!

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk