Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / 242 to Akubarik/P - worthwhile upgrade?

242 to Akubarik/P - worthwhile upgrade?
2017-10-01, 20:48
RE: 242 to Akubarik/P - worthwhile upgrade?
(2017-10-01 20:31)PhilD Wrote:  ... I had been concerned about swapping my KCT/D for a pair of undynamiked solos, but maybe time to give some a try in my current setup with or without the D upgrade?

A point which you may wish to consider is that AFAIK Linn no longer offers the Dynamik upgrade for the Solos. That will, I assume, affect the second hand pricing and availability.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 20:59
(2017-10-01 20:31)PhilD Wrote:  Thanks for the replies, it is indeed a first world problem! I don't feel that I'm missing out on bass extension from the 242s so can't see myself going down the sub route and don't think I would look at Akubarik/P just for that reason. Lots of feedback about solos which is interesting and something I have thought about, although 18k for a new pair might be stretching it a bit in what would still be a passive system. Solos with Dynamik are rare on the secondhand market and I had been concerned about swapping my KCT/D for a pair of undynamiked solos, but maybe time to give some a try in my current setup with or without the D upgrade?

Mine were initially undynamiked. Dynamik is icing on the cake but fear not the Solos are a different league from KCT no disrespect to CKT which is a great amp.

Despite all this talk of Solos please also keep Exakt in there as it is superb IMHO

IAN

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM
2017-10-01, 22:10
Like mrco99, see my sig for an alternative to Solos at a third the price and more musical than Solos in my opinion. The preamps are also a massive musical upgrade over a KK. I used to have a KK1/D and KCT/D and didn’t believe it was possible to get such a huge improvement.

Do you have the upgraded stands for the 242s? These are a worthwhile upgrade.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / 242s
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2017-10-02, 09:55
Hi Phil,
I started my journey this time last year in a similar position to you. I think you should read my story upgrading my 242s to exakt..

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34209

I think Paulsurround would agree that 242s set up correctly do have more bass grunt than most imagine... I very seriously could have lived with that system and would have been very satisfied.

However I have upgraded to Akubariks Exakt with the 10 box and in the last couple of weeks changed the 10 for a pair of 6 boxes but that's another story for a post before Christmas Smile

Bottom line for me was and is that Exakt is better in every way, especially as I was running a full passive Klimax rig and went to Akurate Exakt .... happy ever after , well until linn launch Kitty for Akurate separates...

So you could take the plunge in stages like I did, go exakt first with the 242s then look out for a nice pair of Akubariks ex dem or second hand .

Avalon

Akurate Exakt DSM, Akurate Exaktbox 10, two Akurate 4200 power amps, klimax chakra twin(Dk), Akubarik High Gloss Rosewood speakers,nordost Tyr, ipad 2 & KazooServer Minimserver and Asset server running on a Qnap 251, backed up to remote Qnap 231. Sonos for multiroom. SPACED OUT
2017-10-02, 15:30
(2017-10-02 09:55)avalon Wrote:  Hi Phil,
I started my journey this time last year in a similar position to you. I think you should read my story upgrading my 242s to exakt..

I think Paulsurround would agree that 242s set up correctly do have more bass grunt than most imagine... I very seriously could have lived with that system and would have been very satisfied.

However I have upgraded to Akubariks Exakt with the 10 box and in the last couple of weeks changed the 10 for a pair of 6 boxes but that's another story for a post before Christmas Smile

Bottom line for me was and is that Exakt is better in every way, especially as I was running a full passive Klimax rig and went to Akurate Exakt .... happy ever after , well until linn launch Kitty for Akurate separates...

So you could take the plunge in stages like I did, go exakt first with the 242s then look out for a nice pair of Akubariks ex dem or second hand .

Avalon

I was fortunate to hear Avalon's Linn system when he had 242's driven by a Klimax Twin and Klimax Kontrol with a Klimax DS. With Space optimization, we had those bad boys producing much deeper detailed and musical bass than we ever though possible. I really loved the sound quality of that system but even more was to come in the future.

On a subsequent visit to Avalon's I experienced his 242 system after it was Exakted, with his Twin and a pair of 4200. The result was much better than before, and truly impressive.

Then for some silly reason, I revisited Avalon's system again after he upgraded his Exakted 242's for Akubariks. These were in another league again.

I have not heard Avalon's newest Linn system since he swapped out his Akurate Exaktbox 10 for a pair of Exaktbox 6's, but he says it is another huge leap forward again.

A month ago or so, I went down to Seattle to listen to Ropedrag's lovely Exakted 242's, in a well set up acoustically treated listening room. Stunning sound quality, and deep musical and detailed bass.

My conclusion, 242's are a brilliant speaker, and even more so when Exakted.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-10-02, 18:17
il,

Avalon
[/quote]

I was fortunate to hear Avalon's Linn system when he had 242's driven by a Klimax Twin and Klimax Kontrol with a Klimax DS. With Space optimization, we had those bad boys producing much deeper detailed and musical bass than we ever though possible. I really loved the sound quality of that system but even more was to come in the future.

On a subsequent visit to Avalon's I experienced his 242 system after it was Exakted, with his Twin and a pair of 4200. The result was much better than before, and truly impressive.

Then for some silly reason, I revisited Avalon's system again after he upgraded his Exakted 242's for Akubariks. These were in another league again.

I have not heard Avalon's newest Linn system since he swapped out his Akurate Exaktbox 10 for a pair of Exaktbox 6's, but he says it is another huge leap forward again.

A month ago or so, I went down to Seattle to listen to Ropedrag's lovely Exakted 242's, in a well set up acoustically treated listening room. Stunning sound quality, and deep musical and detailed bass.

[/quote]
Hi Paul,
Silly reason indeed for revisiting me Smile, I trust your ears as any of us who have been lucky enough to meet you do. The 242s can be very rewarding and they really respond to better amplification and source, however I was very pleased with their performance when I exakted them. I like you Phil wanted to hear before I bought and with the very kind help of CJS this became a reality and the rest is history

Could I still live with Exakted 242s? absolutelySmile Mine are going to a very good home , a fellow Linn music enthusiast and I am delighted for him and my 242s......

Avalon.

Paul there is always a bed or two for you if you want to pop over and see us before ChristmasSmileWink

Akurate Exakt DSM, Akurate Exaktbox 10, two Akurate 4200 power amps, klimax chakra twin(Dk), Akubarik High Gloss Rosewood speakers,nordost Tyr, ipad 2 & KazooServer Minimserver and Asset server running on a Qnap 251, backed up to remote Qnap 231. Sonos for multiroom. SPACED OUT
2017-10-02, 23:18
(2017-10-02 18:17)avalon Wrote:  il,

Avalon

[/quote]
Hi Paul,
Silly reason indeed for revisiting me Smile, I trust your ears as any of us who have been lucky enough to meet you do. The 242s can be very rewarding and they really respond to better amplification and source, however I was very pleased with their performance when I exakted them. I like you Phil wanted to hear before I bought and with the very kind help of CJS this became a reality and the rest is history

Could I still live with Exakted 242s? absolutelySmile Mine are going to a very good home , a fellow Linn music enthusiast and I am delighted for him and my 242s......

Avalon.

Paul there is always a bed or two for you if you want to pop over and see us before ChristmasSmileWink
[/quote]

Thanks Avalon,

I will take you up on your invitation next time I am in the neighbourhood. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels