Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / The better Exakt upgrade for Akudoriks: Exaktbox-I vs. Dorik stands

The better Exakt upgrade for Akudoriks: Exaktbox-I vs. Dorik stands
2017-10-01, 19:13
The better Exakt upgrade for Akudoriks: Exaktbox-I vs. Dorik stands
Hello,

Next year I‘d like to upgrade my passive Akudoriks to Exakt.
What I‘d like to understand is, if there is a sonical difference between Exaktbox-I and Dorik stands. Obviously I know that the Dorik stands provide great integration with less cables and great design. But on paper the specs look the same and Majik Exaktbox-I is a lot more affordable. I know that now for Dorik stands Katalyst is available, but my question is more for pre-Katalyst Doriks.
Are there any opinions

Regards, Maik.

Majik DSM, Chakra 5100 for Bi-Amping, Akudorik passive, QNAP T-253 Pro, LP12 with Akito
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 19:31
RE: The better Exakt upgrade for Akudoriks: Exaktbox-I vs. Dorik stands
The Akudorik stands are a more elegant solution.

Minimal cables and they look good.

The Akudori are Akurate level and have amplification that more closely resembles Akurate level architecture, although power output is similar to the Majik Exaktbox I.

As you pointed out, Akudorik stands are upgradeable to Katalyst while the Majik Exaktbox I is not.

I have a Majik Exaktbox I powering my surround channel 212 speakers and am delighted by their sound quality.

However the mess of cables behind my sofa to feed my 212’s is a wee bit cluttered. Rolleyes

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-10-02, 06:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 06:35 by antaron.)
(2017-10-01 19:31)Paulssurround Wrote:  The Akudorik stands are a more elegant solution.

The Akudori are Akurate level and have amplification that more closely resembles Akurate level architecture, although power output is similar to the Majik Exaktbox I.

As you pointed out, Akudorik stands are upgradeable to Katalyst while the Majik Exaktbox I is not.

I have a Majik Exaktbox I powering my surround channel 212 speakers and am delighted by their sound quality.

However the mess of cables behind my sofa to feed my 212’s is a wee bit cluttered. Rolleyes

Thanks. I also would think that Exaktbox-I will be a great upgrade.
But the Dorik stands just look so good.
Question still is, if there is a sonical big difference as the price indicates, or if there is even none.

Majik DSM, Chakra 5100 for Bi-Amping, Akudorik passive, QNAP T-253 Pro, LP12 with Akito
2017-10-02, 07:01
(2017-10-02 06:34)antaron Wrote:  
(2017-10-01 19:31)Paulssurround Wrote:  The Akudorik stands are a more elegant solution.

Thanks. I also would think that Exaktbox-I will be a great upgrade.
But the Dorik stands just look so good.
Question still is, if there is a sonical big difference as the price indicates, or if there is even none.

Without an actual A/B test it would be hard to say. But, in theory, the Akurate level amps in a Doric stand should be better than Majik amps. For one thing, a Doric stand only has 4 channels of amplification, while the smaller EBox-I has 8. This is bound to have an effect I'd have thought.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Exakt engine architecture may be beneficial in the Doric stands as well, for the same reasons. There may even be more of them, asnd running in mono mode (but I have no firm idea about that).

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-02, 07:42
Does each Dorik stand has its separate power supply? Having a power supply for each channel usually has some benefits.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-10-02, 09:49
Akudorik stands have Akurate level DACs, which are a significant step up from Majik.
They are also available with Katalyst with is an even more significant step up from Akurate non-Kat.
The amps are neither Majik nor Akurate but somewhere in between.

So all that should add up to a much better sonic result.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-10-02, 09:58
(2017-10-02 09:49)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Akudorik stands have Akurate level DACs, which are a significant step up from Majik.
They are also available with Katalyst with is an even more significant step up from Akurate non-Kat.
The amps are neither Majik nor Akurate but somewhere in between.

So all that should add up to a much better sonic result.

I see, that makes sense. I think it will make lots of sense to invest into Dorik stands:
- better design
- less cables
- less amp channels per power supply - improved stabilty
- better amps than Majik level
- option to get into Linn Hifi heaven with Katalyst

Downside is costs, but probably the ultimate solution for Akudorik.
I think Exaktbox-I would be great to get to Exakt, but Dorik is the way to go. So why not make the ultimate step.

Thanks, Maik.

2017-10-02, 10:10
(2017-10-02 09:58)antaron Wrote:  Downside is costs, but probably the ultimate solution for Akudorik.
I think Exaktbox-I would be great to get to Exakt, but Dorik is the way to go. So why not make the ultimate step.

Thanks, Maik.

Would if I could! No idea how much Dorik stands are on their own, but at a guess it's (Akudorik Integrated - Akudorik Passive) = £12,600.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-02, 11:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 11:16 by DavidHB.)
(2017-10-02 10:10)timster Wrote:  Would if I could! No idea how much Dorik stands are on their own, but at a guess it's (Akudorik Integrated - Akudorik Passive) = £12,600.

The Dorik stands are currently £13,200, versus £3,950 for the Exaktbox-I. If you are in the fortunate position that this whopping price difference will not stop you doing other things you want to do in your life, and the Exakted 'doriks demo well for you, the stands win all round. Otherwise, the Exaktbox is no slouch, either, it's main disadvantage being (as others have said) the mangrove forest of cabling that goes with it (which will also probably add several hundred pounds to the base price, whereas the stands only need a couple of Ethernet patch cables).

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-02, 13:33
(2017-10-02 11:12)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-10-02 10:10)timster Wrote:  Would if I could! No idea how much Dorik stands are on their own, but at a guess it's (Akudorik Integrated - Akudorik Passive) = £12,600.

The Dorik stands are currently £13,200, versus £3,950 for the Exaktbox-I. If you are in the fortunate position that this whopping price difference will not stop you doing other things you want to do in your life, and the Exakted 'doriks demo well for you, the stands win all round. Otherwise, the Exaktbox is no slouch, either, it's main disadvantage being (as others have said) the mangrove forest of cabling that goes with it (which will also probably add several hundred pounds to the base price, whereas the stands only need a couple of Ethernet patch cables).

David

Yes, it's definitely expensive, but at the same time all new Dorik stands come with Katalyst DAC inside. It'll be probably my final destination with Linn for some time in terms of speakers and amplification.

I have still some time to think over it, but you here helped me a lot in the process of decision making.
Thanks, Maik.