Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 01:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktboxI

Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktboxI
2017-10-01, 21:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-01 21:13 by Dasher.)
Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktboxI
As the building work on my new room draws to a close it's time to pull all the stored boxes from the loft. As I'm told always happens, the planned interior space is never as big as you think it will be and I'm contemplating moving all my LK boxes on and going for a lot less units and wires. So, out will go the Kairn, 3 x LK 85s, Pekin and Genki. I shall keep an LP12 in the system and I shall keep the Keilidhs.

I need a DS and, before the radical thought above, was happily just going to add a KRDS as I have one in the main system and am happy with it.

Now I'm thinking about an Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktBoxI. I will go and listen, that is a given but I'd like to ask those of you who have this set up a couple of questions. The key one is that can you configure two analogue inputs to the ADSME? I can see that one is obvious but two isn't so clear from the docs. I would want to run the LP12 and a Nak as analogue "in". I can see that there are no analogue outputs and so will have to run the headphones from a digital output. I have a Schiit Valhalla and so the obvious thing is to run a Schiit DAC between the ADSME and the Valhalla - is this this what others do? (the principle - not necessarily the specifics).

Now a simple but obvious one - I'm assuming that I leave the Keilidhs as "active" - i.e. leave the links broken - could someone confirm this please.

From what I can see there is no DAC in the ADSMEonly and it relies on the DACs in the MEBI - am I correct in this and if so is there any advantage in having an ADSM over a Majik?

Has anyone else gone this route (LK or 5125 based analogue to Majik Exaktbox I and if so, what did you think?

Just to be clear - the Keilidhs stay - it is about box count reduction but I'm not going down the "amps in speakers" route. Given that I would have picked up a KRDS and have the other kit to move on - it is close to cost neutral (assuming I go to the pre owned market for the two new-to-me boxes) and I aim to keep it that way.

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 21:17
RE: Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktboxI
Hi, the AEDSM has two phone analogue inputs, including MC/MM board. I use my LP12 (had Lingo before and internal RIAA stage is not to impressive on MC).

LP12, Keel, TigerPaw, Radikal, Ekos 2, Kandid, Urika, AEDSM, Majik Exaktbox I, MISO
Secondary system: Linn Basik K18 MkII, Majik DSM/2, M6100, active M109
2017-10-01, 21:48
(2017-10-01 21:17)Øyvind I Wrote:  Hi, the AEDSM has two phone analogue inputs, including MC/MM board. I use my LP12 (had Lingo before and internal RIAA stage is not to impressive on MC).

Thanks - I shall probably keep my own phono stage and therefore have no need of the phono board in the ADSM - can that input be reconfigured to line level?

What I am looking for is two line level inputs - I realise on re-reading that i didn't kale that very clear.

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
2017-10-01, 21:56
Keilidhs sound brilliant with Exakt and SO+ and yes you leave them Aktiv

AEDSM is a majotr bargain in my opinion

Majik Exaktbox is also on paper though I have not heard it myself.

Has the makings of a really very nice system
2017-10-01, 22:05
(2017-10-01 21:12)Dasher Wrote:  Now I'm thinking about an Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktBoxI. I will go and listen, that is a given but I'd like to ask those of you who have this set up a couple of questions. The key one is that can you configure two analogue inputs to the ADSME? I can see that one is obvious but two isn't so clear from the docs. I would want to run the LP12 and a Nak as analogue "in".

The AEDSM provides two analogue inputs. By default, one is supporting a line level source, while the other one is configured as an MC phono input. Your dealer will be able to reconfigure the second analogue input to either an MM or line level input at your wish.

(2017-10-01 21:12)Dasher Wrote:  Now a simple but obvious one - I'm assuming that I leave the Keilidhs as "active" - i.e. leave the links broken - could someone confirm this please.

Yes. With respect to the speaker wiring an Exakt system does not differ to a fully active analogue setup.

(2017-10-01 21:12)Dasher Wrote:  From what I can see there is no DAC in the ADSMEonly and it relies on the DACs in the MEBI - am I correct in this and if so is there any advantage in having an ADSM over a Majik?

Again, yes. First of all, the AEDSM is cheaper than an MDSM. Besides that, it's A/D converter and phono stage sound better than the MDSM's. Even if no analogue source is used, the AEDSM sounds slightly better than the MDSM. The only drawback of the AEDSM is, that it does not provide an analogue headphone output.

That said, it may me extremly difficult to get a pre owned AEDSM on the market.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-10-01, 22:26
(2017-10-01 21:12)Dasher Wrote:  From what I can see there is no DAC in the ADSMEonly and it relies on the DACs in the MEBI - am I correct in this ...

Yes.

(2017-10-01 21:12)Dasher Wrote:  and if so is there any advantage in having an ADSM over a Majik?

Do you mean ADSM, rather than AEDSM? By Majik, I assume that you mean a Majik DSM, and that in all cases you are thinking in terms of using the Exaktbox-I. Here are my thoughts on the options

The Akurate Exakt DSM is slightly cheaper than the Majik DSM, and (though I haven't made the comparison) probably sounds a bit better with the Exaktbox. The MDSM does have a DAC and a headphone output, but it also has inbuilt power amplification you cannot use with the Exaktbox, and so would be a bit of a waste in your use case. Also, the phono input on the MDSM is, IIRC, MM only, and you'd have to pay extra to get the board with MC connectivity.

The ADSM, currently in the /2 configuration, is substantially more than twice the cost of the AEDSM. You get headphone connectivity, but, for your proposed use case, no other advantage over the Exakt-only model. Moreover, while Linn are tight-lipped about future developments, it is a reasonable bet that there will be a Katalyst version of the ADSM sometime in 2018. This won't be of direct interest to you, but it will have an effect on the second hand value of any ADSM you buy now.

All in all, I think that, for the use case you describe, the AEDSM wins hands down, even though you will, as you say, need to find a separate means of connecting headphones. At least you have alternative digital outputs; you will no doubt be astonished to learn that the Klimax Exakt DSM has no 'normal' digital outputs (only Exakt and HDMI). The sound quality is a definite step up, but the price is going on for four times that of the AEDSM, and the connectivity is more limited.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-01, 22:56
(2017-10-01 22:26)DavidHB Wrote:  The MDSM does have a DAC and a headphone output, but it also has inbuilt power amplification you cannot use with the Exaktbox, and so would be a bit of a waste in your use case.

The MDSM’s inbuilt power amplification can be used with any Exaktbox. Via Konfig it's possible to configure the MDSM’s line out as a line in, excepting and amplificating two channels of any Exaktbox… The MEB does benefit from external amplification, but not so much that I would consider buying an MDSM instead of AEDSM. This option does only come into play, if one already owns an MDSM…

Nevertheless I agree with you, that an AEDSM will be the best option for the OP.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-10-02, 09:07
(2017-10-01 21:12)Dasher Wrote:  and if so is there any advantage in having an ADSM over a Majik?

Do you mean ADSM, rather than AEDSM? By Majik, I assume that you mean a Majik DSM, and that in all cases you are thinking in terms of using the Exaktbox-I. Here are my thoughts on the options

Sorry, missed an "E" off the ADSM. What I meant was "is an ADSMEonly plus a Majik Exaktbox capable of a higher quality sound than a Majik only setup. i.e.. How much of the SQ is down to the DAC and how much down to the other components of the architecture (and if the former then why is the Akurate DSM only called an Akurate?)

My concern is , that having listened extensively to a Majik DS and compared it with an Ikea or Unidisk in the same system I definitely wouldn't say that the MDS is superior to the CD. If is wasn't for the need to reduce box count I would be just adding a KRDS to the system.

The attraction of the ADSME is that it keeps a small amount of analogue input connectivity and flexibility (unbalanced line level is important for me). The headphone I have a work-around albeit using yet another DAC. There is a risk with clocking issues in this approach but I can live without headphones on this system if I have to.

2017-10-02, 09:30
I think it is safe to say the components in the Akurate will outperform those in the Majik DSM. Lack of amps and DAC will also have a positive effect in terms of noise amongst other tings. The ADC for your LP12 will also be superior in the Akurate.

You asked if the Phono input on the AEDSM can be configured as Line-level? Yes.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-02, 17:43
(2017-10-01 22:56)BB1 Wrote:  [quote='DavidHB' pid='452411' dateline='1506893160']
etc… The MEB does benefit from external amplification, but not so much that I would consider buying an MDSM instead of AEDSM.

Hi, this is interesting. I know that in the set-up manual this is described; using the Majik Exaktbox I (MEB) with external amps. Have you auditioned? It´s one of my possible intermediate steps in upgrade path for main system.

LP12, Keel, TigerPaw, Radikal, Ekos 2, Kandid, Urika, AEDSM, Majik Exaktbox I, MISO
Secondary system: Linn Basik K18 MkII, Majik DSM/2, M6100, active M109