Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 16:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktboxI

Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktboxI
2017-10-02, 18:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 18:18 by sunbeamgls.)
RE: Akurate DSM (Exakt only) and Majik ExaktboxI
(2017-10-02 17:43)Øyvind I Wrote:  
(2017-10-01 22:56)BB1 Wrote:  [quote='DavidHB' pid='452411' dateline='1506893160']
etc… The MEB does benefit from external amplification, but not so much that I would consider buying an MDSM instead of AEDSM.

Hi, this is interesting. I know that in the set-up manual this is described; using the Majik Exaktbox I (MEB) with external amps. Have you auditioned? It´s one of my possible intermediate steps in upgrade path for main system.

The upgrade to external amps on the Majik Exaktbox-i is an "interesting" feature, as it puts the cart before the horse. It would've been much more sensible for Linn to have provided inputs to the power amps, not outputs from the DACs - or better still, switching to allow the user to choose.

It would be a useful interim step if better amps turned up at a good price, but only interim before upgrading to Akurate (or Klimax of course) Exaktbox. Akurate Exaktbox + Majik amps will sound so much better than Exaktbox-i plus Akurate amps.

I would suggest moving the M6100 from second system to main system, adding an Exaktbox 10 and M2100 and then moving the Exaktbox-i to the second system.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-03, 06:24
(2017-10-02 18:15)sunbeamgls Wrote:  ...

The upgrade to external amps on the Majik Exaktbox-i is an "interesting" feature, as it puts the cart before the horse. It would've been much more sensible for Linn to have provided inputs to the power amps, not outputs from the DACs - or better still, switching to allow the user to choose.

I couldn't agree more. It would have given me the option to go Akurate Exaktbox far sooner if I could use the MEBox amps. But hey ho.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-03, 13:55
An Akurate 6 channel Exaktboxi is what I would like!!

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2017-10-03, 18:21
(2017-10-03 13:55)Dasher Wrote:  An Akurate 6 channel Exaktboxi is what I would like!!

A lot of people have said that. But it doesn't fit the range in marketing terms (the current Akurate speakers are 4- and 5-way), so you'd need two boxes for an all Linn system. Technically, I don't know whether 6 channels of what would now presumably be Katalyst DACs, 6 channels of Akurate level amplification (probably at lower power than the standalone amps) and the power supply would all fit in the box.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-04, 12:22
(2017-10-02 17:43)Øyvind I Wrote:  
(2017-10-01 22:56)BB1 Wrote:  The MEB does benefit from external amplification, but not so much that I would consider buying an MDSM instead of AEDSM.

Hi, this is interesting. I know that in the set-up manual this is described; using the Majik Exaktbox I (MEB) with external amps. Have you auditioned? It´s one of my possible intermediate steps in upgrade path for main system.

Yes, it has been an interim step towards my current setup. For a short period of time I only had one A4200 and connected my speakers as described here. The next steps after having bought my second A4200 were replacing the MEB-I by an AEB10 and after that swapping the MDSM for an AEDSM.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-10-04, 17:46 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-04 18:01 by BB1.)
(2017-10-02 18:15)sunbeamgls Wrote:  The upgrade to external amps on the Majik Exaktbox-i is an "interesting" feature, as it puts the cart before the horse. It would've been much more sensible for Linn to have provided inputs to the power amps, not outputs from the DACs - or better still, switching to allow the user to choose.

It would be a useful interim step if better amps turned up at a good price, but only interim before upgrading to Akurate (or Klimax of course) Exaktbox. Akurate Exaktbox + Majik amps will sound so much better than Exaktbox-i plus Akurate amps.

I couldn't agree more. The main reason why I decided to buy A4200s was, that I needed sufficient external channels of amplification before being able to upgrade to an AEB. At the time I bought them, Linn offered a +2 channels of amplification promotion. Hence I decided to buy the needed amplification at the Akurate level and not the Majik one. I don't regret this decision, especially in my current setup with two Katalyst Exaktboxes. Although it is often said here that the level of amplification doesn't matter that much in an Exakt system, IMHO they are worth the money I've spent.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-10-10, 10:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-10 10:13 by Paulq.)
Apologies for straying rather OT but even as a huge Linn fan this thread has reinforced my belief that the entire Exakt/upgrade route is absurdly complicated. I really am considering losing all the boxes apart from my ADSM and MDSM and purchasing some 3rd party active speakers in each system. Either that or the next upgrade is reverting to a high quality passive system.

Streamer -> Speakers = Music. For me that's how simple it should be.

Rant over.

Akurate DSM/1, Acoustic Energy AE1 Active.

Synology DS212j NAS.

Denon AH-D7000, Shure SRH-1540, Beyerdynamic DT880, Grado SR80e, Meridian Prime, Meridian Explorer 2, Audioquest Dragonfly Black.
2017-10-10, 10:39
(2017-10-10 10:13)Paulq Wrote:  Streamer -> Speakers = Music. For me that's how simple it should be.

Linn do that as well, of course, with no fewer than five different models, and the 520s at least are not so much more expensive than, say an Exaktbox-I and a pair of M140s as to put them completely out of reach of people in that market.

It is the Exaktbox route that is "absurdly complicated". However, with a decent equipment rack and dealer setup, the complexity can be contained.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-10, 10:48
(2017-10-10 10:39)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-10-10 10:13)Paulq Wrote:  Streamer -> Speakers = Music. For me that's how simple it should be.

Linn do that as well, of course, with no fewer than five different models, and the 520s at least are not so much more expensive than, say an Exaktbox-I and a pair of M140s as to put them completely out of reach of people in that market.

It is the Exaktbox route that is "absurdly complicated". However, with a decent equipment rack and dealer setup, the complexity can be contained.

David

Ah just ignore me David I am just having a moment. With respect to the OP I don't want to derail this thread as that's unfair so I'll limit my comments as they were only borne out of the myriad of options contained in the posts to help him thus far.

I concur that Linn do offer similar options but at an absolute premium which, of course, is a different and subjective argument as to whether it's worth it. That's not my point.

My point is, to a layman like me, even trying to figure out how to connect up an Exaktbox to an amp and a streamer is ridiculously complicated. It's just rather off-putting for me when there are different, simpler, options out there that get the same result.

I guess I am getting old. Smile

Akurate DSM/1, Acoustic Energy AE1 Active.

Synology DS212j NAS.

Denon AH-D7000, Shure SRH-1540, Beyerdynamic DT880, Grado SR80e, Meridian Prime, Meridian Explorer 2, Audioquest Dragonfly Black.
2017-10-10, 10:51
(2017-10-10 10:39)DavidHB Wrote:  

David

Is it "absurdly complicated" though?
1. Passive = Streamer->Amp->Speakers
2. Active = Streamer->Amp->Active cards->Speakers
3. Exakt = Streamer->Exaktbox->Amp>Speakers

The complexity comes in matching the right speakers to the right Exaktbox. No different to the same with Activ cards really is it (other than another box for the "Activ cards" aka Tunebox)?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user