Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 14:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Space Optimisation - separate channels?

Space Optimisation - separate channels?
2017-10-01, 21:36
Space Optimisation - separate channels?
Hi all - can somebody advise if it's possible to create custom filters for just one channel? In other words, supposing I wanted to attenuate a certain frequency by a certain number of dB on the left channel only, leaving the right channel intact?

I vaguely remember reading that this is now possible, but can't find this feature in Konfig. I could've dreamt it all up of course. It's been known to happen.

The reason I ask is because I'm having a few acoustics issues in my listening room - somehow sound tends to veer to the right (the left wall is mostly glass, while the right one is brick, there's also a chimney breast between the speakers, which isn't exactly in the middle of the front wall. It's madness!)

So I thought I could measure the room acoustically and then help things by fine-tuning the left and right channels in Konfig separately, if that makes sense.

Many thanks for any thoughts and advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 21:53
RE: Space Optimisation - separate channels?
Popper, space now does left and right optimization separately so indeed the technology would suggest it is possible, however I would wager to guess not many people would understand setting custom filter on each channel individually. Not many people understand my setting filters at all.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2017-10-01, 22:03
Mono only I'm afraid. This thread explains it all quite well...
https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=35907

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-10-02, 06:44
The SO algorithms now can calculate different gains for left or right, but the frequencies and bandwidths are the same (although sometimes a particular mode is only for one speaker). This is not possible with custom filters unfortunately, reasons are probably in the thread phino has pointed to.

You can however use the channel volume offset feature - if you feel it is too much on the right you can add some gain to the left. I do this effectively for my slightly asymmetrical setup. Even 0.5dB could be enough.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-02, 07:00
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

I was actually wondering about volume offset - does anyone know how it's different from balance?
2017-10-02, 07:13
(2017-10-02 07:00)Popper Wrote:  Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

I was actually wondering about volume offset - does anyone know how it's different from balance?

Umm. Good question. Not entirely sure what the difference is sonically, but it is done in a different way to the volume control/balance.
Also - it is much finer-grained (0.25dB steps rather than whatever 0-31 is equivalent to).

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-02, 13:57 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 14:04 by Briain.)
(2017-10-01 21:36)Popper Wrote:  ...The reason I ask is because I'm having a few acoustics issues in my listening room - somehow sound tends to veer to the right (the left wall is mostly glass, while the right one is brick, there's also a chimney breast between the speakers, which isn't exactly in the middle of the front wall. It's madness!)

Hi

Same here; my right wall is rough stone and the left wall comprises two big windows. As you can probably judge from the photo, the one on the left is the reflection point for the left speaker to the listening seat (at night, you can see a nice image of the speaker reflected from that window). The effect of that window was pretty severe, and when (for example) I played an album with an electric guitar only on the left channel (fortunately, most aren't like that) it sounded like it was to the extreme left of me; not much fun at all!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11288]

It took a lot of experimentation, but believe it or not, I managed to find positions and some toe-in (not as much as it looks - that photo was taken 4 m behind the listening position - as on these units the mid range sounds better with them not facing directly at you; that is by design) I managed to find a position where it very significantly minimised the impact of the reflection; it took a lot of work to find it, but it was well worth all the effort.

That said, the window is still there (you can't defeat the laws of physics) so at night, I deposit a big cushion on the window ledge. It's easy to find the right spot for it - that is achieved when you can no longer see the face of the speaker reflected in the window - and that makes a very big difference to the sound. People often suggest thick curtains (or lining them) but a strategically placed cushion really can make a huge difference. In fact, I don't even bother drawing that curtain shut when listening to music in the evening (or watching TV with the sound through the system; that is what it is mostly used for, these days); I just slap the big cushion (it's about 55 cm square and 20 cm thick) on the window ledge and it sounds great.

If you don't have a ledge (or it is at the wrong height to use a cushion) you could consider some sort of free-standing acoustic screen that can be placed in the reflection point when playing music. It wouldn't have to be that wide (a 600 mm one would do) but of course, the practicality of that depends on whether there's a convenient place to store it when not in use (I guess you could store it behind a sofa, but it would have to be quite a rugged one or it would soon get rather tatty looking).

As I say though, do spend a lot of time fine tweaking speaker positions (including distances from the window and toe-in) as you might find you can make a significant dent in the problem. I typically watch the TV (sound through the system) and don't bother with the cushion (it only gets deployed when listening very loud to televised concerts) and to be honest, I don't notice the reflection (that said, I am getting on a bit, so maybe it's cause I'm getting deaf in the left ear)? Wink

Bri

PS A cue Phil Budd to again comment on just how much he loves my lounge carpet! Tongue

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-10-02, 14:29 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 14:36 by Popper.)
Cheers Briain, your lounge does look amazing! Experimenting with speaker positions may be tricky I'm my case because the speakers in question are humongous JBL 4435s (see photo)!

I've got some acoustic curtains on the windows which help to an extent but do not solve the problem completely.
2017-10-02, 14:49 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 14:54 by Briain.)
(2017-10-02 14:29)Popper Wrote:  Cheers Briain, your lounge does look amazing! Experimenting with speaker positions may be tricky I'm my case because the speakers in question are humongous JBL 4435s (see photo)!

I've got some acoustic curtains on the windows which help to an extent but do not solve the problem completely.

Oddly, the forum shows you as being banned, so I presume something kicked off some automated process (perhaps something about the image). Nobody has ever been banned for owning JBL speakers, so I doubt it's anything to do with that (just kidding, of course). Big Grin Assuming it's an automated mishap, I have just PM'd one of the Linn folks to alert them to the issue.

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-10-02, 18:47 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 18:48 by Popper.)
Got banned for spamming while trying to figure out how to add a picture! Anyway, here it is, hopefully: