Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 19:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Kazoo on QNAP

Kazoo on QNAP
2017-10-02, 20:14
RE: Kazoo on QNAP
(2017-10-02 13:13)Briain Wrote:  To be honest, I haven't used MinimWatch since initially setting it all up

I find MinimWatch incredibly valuable, and use it all the time in my ripping/downloading/tagging workflow.

I always rip or download to the music folder on my main PC, and then, when the changes are complete, use SyncToy to copy the changes across to my two NAS boxes. Thus I have 3 identical copies of my music library in different locations.

I then open MinimWatch to initiate rescans on the NAS boxes. Before doing a rescan, I open the MimimWatch log window for that instance of MinimServer, and so can check that the rescan has not produced any errors. MinimServer is (rightly in my view) quite fussy about standards compliance on file formats and metadata, so an error-free rescan is a good sign that the new files have been correctly added to the library.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-02, 20:29 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 20:31 by Briain.)
Hi

Yes, I do appreciate that it is a fabulous utility (though I didn't know that it did quite as much as you have listed; that was very interesting) and I do hope that my somewhat light-hearted posts did not in any way imply otherwise (that was most certainly not my intention)! Of course, being such an old git, I still do everything the hardest way possible (I was brought up before the days of central heating; I enjoy the misery) and thus I still use either EAC or dBpoweramp to rip my CDs, then I use either Paint Shop Pro or GIMP to tweak the art (and MP3TAG to embed it), then after uploading the album to the NAS, I then use my command line trick to kick-off a rescan, but it has to be said that I am somewhat eccentric (to put it mildly; another good word would be 'bonkers').

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-10-02, 21:15
Actually, Bri, your workflow makes a lot of sense to me. I use dBpoweramp for ripping (scanning any album art I can't get online directly into it), and doing as much as possible of the tagging work before I rip the album. There's almost always some tagging to be done in MP3Tag after the rip as well. The procedure for downloads is very similar, but I always downloads into a temporary folder, and only move the new album to its proper place in the library when it is ready to be copied to the NASs.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-02, 22:50 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 22:52 by Ketto.)
after kids (and wife) went to bed I finally installed Minim and I can immediately see the different "views" in Kinsky.. but with my great surprise.. there's no "album/artist" view.. although it looks to me as if the "artist" folder is actually an "album/artist" folder, since it's a relatively manageable number of artist. is that correct?

will also give a try with the Twonky tomorrow.. and then will go to your custom tree page Briain. I agree with you it's better to have some kind of flexibility and have both options (artist and album/artist). (and of course I still have to prevent my browser to access Java station).

thanks everybody for your help.. I'm only sad it's too late to give it a try and listen to my system right now Smile
I finally have my renew DS after 1 year in purgatory with a Denon730 (I had to devote all of my resources to the new speakers) and I can't wait to be able to listen to my digital collection again (Denon was just so poor compared to vinyl that I barely used it a few times in a year)

arrivederci
mc

Rock 7/Groove SRX+, Renew DS/1, D'agostino, W/A Alexia
2017-10-02, 23:01
on a separate note.. any idea why I can see both media servers (Qnap and Minim) in Kinsky on my pc while if I run Kinsky on my iphone there's no music server (none of them?)

2017-10-02, 23:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-02 23:49 by Briain.)
(2017-10-02 22:50)Ketto Wrote:  ...after kids (and wife) went to bed I finally installed Minim and I can immediately see the different "views" in Kinsky.. but with my great surprise.. there's no "album/artist" view.. although it looks to me as if the "artist" folder is actually an "album/artist" folder, since it's a relatively manageable number of artist. is that correct?...

Hi

It has been getting on for a few years since I moved over to using MinimServer, and thus I cannot quite recall the default menu structure, but I do recall that it is super-configurable (via some nefarious MinimWatch trickery) so tomorrow - when most of the effects of this evening's wine intake will have hopefully dissipated - I'll post a screenshot of my own menu (as viewed in Kinsky) and also the entries in MinimWatch that generated same.

Bri :-)

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-10-03, 06:13
(2017-10-02 20:14)DavidHB Wrote:  ...

I always rip or download to the music folder on my main PC, and then, when the changes are complete, use SyncToy to copy the changes across to my two NAS boxes. Thus I have 3 identical copies of my music library in different locations.

David

Off topic, but I was wondering why you use a syncing tool? I do the same as you up to that point, but then just file copy (drag-drop) the new album from the PC to the NAS music directory (which I have set up as a network drive).
Is there an advantage in the way you do that step?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-03, 06:42
(2017-10-03 06:13)timster Wrote:  
(2017-10-02 20:14)DavidHB Wrote:  ...

David

Off topic, but I was wondering why you use a syncing tool? I do the same as you up to that point, but then just file copy (drag-drop) the new album from the PC to the NAS music directory (which I have set up as a network drive).
timster + 1

2017-10-03, 07:38
(2017-10-03 06:13)timster Wrote:  Off topic, but I was wondering why you use a syncing tool? I do the same as you up to that point, but then just file copy (drag-drop) the new album from the PC to the NAS music directory (which I have set up as a network drive).

Can't speak for David, but in my case, I see numerous advantages.
  • If I update the metadata on a few files, I don't need to keep track of which got updated and which didn't.
  • I don't have to navigate the folder structure on the NAS, in order to put the files in the correct location.
  • If I'm updating multiple files or albums (or uploading multiple new ones), I don't need to repeat the process for each one.

Instead, I just type "put_music" (an alias for the appropriate rsync command) and I'm done.
2017-10-03, 10:06 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 10:07 by mickc.)
The use of a synching tool is a good idea, for the reasons prof gives, although personally I moved away from SyncToy a fair few years ago when I and some friends discovered that the then current iteration was overlooking some files from time to time, and couldn't be trusted.
Since then I've been using FreeFileSync, which enables me to create batch files for manually backing up various areas of the main PC here. A quick double-click on one of these files and everything's updated.

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109