Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 18:30 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Off-topic v / Thank goodness for the 2nd Amendment......

Thank goodness for the 2nd Amendment......
2017-10-02, 12:39
Thank goodness for the 2nd Amendment......
Right to Bear Arms

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-02, 18:30
RE: Thank goodness for the 2nd Amendment......
(2017-10-02 12:39)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Right to Bear Arms

Beyond thick Sad
A whole nation can’t manage a simple internal policy that kills its citizens on a daily basis, sad....

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
And a lot of Dummies books on IPads, Home networks and Windows 8
2017-10-09, 18:24
(2017-10-02 18:30)To be a Rock and not a Roll Wrote:  
(2017-10-02 12:39)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Right to Bear Arms

Beyond thick Sad
A whole nation can’t manage a simple internal policy that kills its citizens on a daily basis, sad....

A whole nation of Citizens. Not subjects.

Even Nancy Pelosi has now said that no gun laws could have prevented this.

We know that you have invoked confiscation.

It is the usual approach, making citizens defenseless before their government.

We don’t complain about your choices, or how you run your country.

Turning a tragedy, created by a man who analysis now suggests was a psychopath rather than a zealot, to political purposes is typical of the left.

We are saddened by the events even as the as*hats blame Trump and take glee in the fact that Country Music Concerts attract people who voted for Trump.

Get over it.

Just listen .... or not
2017-10-09, 18:54
Strange there is so much emphasis on defeating terrorism that has killed too many, but relatively few people in the US but so little emphasis on addressing the 10s of thousands that are killed by other US citizens in gun incidents.

Every day of every week there's a mass shooting (4 or more vicitims). I don't pretend to know how the US can address this or if it wants to address this, but it seems odd to keep ignoring it whilst spending so much effort and money on addressing terrorism.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-10-09, 19:03 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-09 19:04 by grimreaper46.)
Quote:It is the usual approach, making citizens defenceless before their government.

When was that true?

Surely what the government does, if it believes it wants to attack defenceless citizens, is call out the National Guard. I don't think I have ever seen Citizens use their right to bear arms against the National Guard.

OK lets accept the right to bear arms. Why does an individual need multiple weapons with the capability of firing many round per second. How many weapons does he need to shoot a Government representative?

Doesn't a certain address say "Government of the people, by the people, for the people" So bearing arms is to protect who from who?

Do you want to be protected from "The Government" by Lunatics? I am sure you don't. So why are obviously deranged citizens allowed to get guns.

It's your country and I don't want to interfere, but I really would like to understand why this part of the 2nd Amendment is still relevant in 2017.

And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold
2017-10-09, 23:12
Had you been here when the rules were written, you would have headed for Nova Scotia, or home.

Your government was thrown off. And we’ve had a civil war in which the side that had the arms industry was the winner.

Usually it is the Americans who deserve to be blasted for their lack of understanding of history. Shoe’s on the other foot here.

The US is a unique experiment in personal liberty, and still quite young.

If it doesn’t make it, it will not be because of the second amendment.

It is interesting to note that most of the murders in the US are in the so called “blue” areas. People in this country who support your views are usually folks who are afraid of their neighbors and want the government to protect them.

In areas where folks are not afraid of their neighbors, the longstanding tradition of freedom is more important to them.

Confiscation will never work here. It would be met with fierce resistance.

Just listen .... or not
2017-10-10, 02:31
My assessment is that if the US is able to improve upon its social inequality, then the need for guns will disappear. People had guns 200 years ago because there was not a well organized police force for protection against thieves: clearly that is not a need today. Look at Canada: for the most part, you never have to worry about being shot. The guns that are used in crimes are all smuggled into Canada from the US. We walk the streets at night without concern; many of us forget to lock our doors, and all is fine.

I have always believe that what a person spends his money on reveals much about his values and character. The US spends 60 cents of every tax dollar collected on its military budget: never think for a moment that the US is a peace loving nation. It’s military budget and number of guns owned by its citizens collectively clearly prove it clearly is not interested, nor does it value, peace.

Victrola 1922 Floor model.
2017-10-10, 09:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-10 10:41 by Tin.)
There are more countries with a lot of guns, Scandinavian countries and Switserland to name some, and there are more young countries as well, so neither can be the root cause.

The glorification of guns however, now that is quite unique in the modern world, although there have been other cultures in history where weapens and killing were used in religious ways as well.
The biggest mistakes that the USA makes is that it treats its constitution as a religion, where other countries use it as a baseline, or set of tools. And as we all know, religions -do- kill.

As the number of, and killings per 'incident' in the USA is still increasing, either way the issue will resolve itself, hopefully without pulling the rest of the world into WW3.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-10, 10:05
It is interesting to note that Britain doesn't actually have a constitution, more an amalgamation of conventions based on precedent and an ambiguous morality. It is something we are sorely missing, and with Brexit and pulling out of the EU courts (including human rights) the need for one is ever more urgent.
As for the US and guns....
Seeing as, as you say Tin, many countries have a gun culture (I think even in Switzerland by law men have to have one as part of their territorial national service), while the US has so much more gun violence, it points to a deeper malaise. Perhaps the fact they are so readily available and therefore can be used in this way is a symptom of that, rather than the cause. If so, it should and can be dealt with without it seeming to be an attack on the 2nd Amendment. It would be like telling a lung cancer patient that he has every right to keep on smoking, and even the tobacco lobby encouraging him to do so - purely to exercise that right on a point of principle.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-11, 14:15
https://youtu.be/a-o9pwWUzz0

@peer gynt: you write that you've had a civil war where one side won. I really don't want to be nasty about this, but I truly doubt that that war has ever ended. The spread of democrat versus liberal states looks too close to civil war boundaries to be coincidal. I love Americana music, I imported a BBQ from Kansas city, and I'd love to own a 69 Charger RT (especially in orange) so it's not that I don't want to see the good. But really.. having a governor waving a gun at a gathering.. really?

Tin can telephone system.