Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / New One Piece Metal LP 12 Plinth inc Top plate

Thread Closed 
New One Piece Metal LP 12 Plinth inc Top plate
2017-10-06, 19:06 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-06 19:08 by LD100.)
RE: New One Piece Metal LP 12 Plinth inc Top plate
(2017-10-06 18:53)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  Let me say this.

Linn have always and very graciously IMO talked about the Sondek LP12 as being an open platform, right from the get go with Grace and Supex, later Naim with the ARO, even now the Keel can accommodate the ARO.

Linn have also been good enough to provide a Forum, a platform for discussion that allows all these things.

In recent times we have seen new companies, Tangerine included bring new products to the market.

Top plates; we have Karmen and Khan.

Sub chassis; we have or had Rubikon, Akula and Plateau.

We have Tranquility and of course Stiletto, the crux of this thread.

The point is these are ALL original designs that take painstaking work to turn into a reality and then we have dealers with the capability and expertise to demonstrate the to customers.

At the end, the customer wins being given the choice and Linn win keeping the LP12 relevant and still arguably among the best record players on the planet.

I believe this all stems from a place of creativity, integrity and fundamentally a love of music and a desire to get the most from it.

By stark contrast, those who seek to clone, copy, ripoff are parasites who undermine all of the above; a quick buck from a cheap knock off.

In the end I think customers know better and both want and appreciate the real deal.

Regards,

Mark

Very well said...I believe part of being human is to enjoy choices...not one thing necessarily better than the other, just different, like vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream.

The ability to chose one or the other, or one out of many seems to elicit an almost emotional response in people, as in the shopping experience.
Perhaps we enjoy the thought that we picked the best, the one most suited to our needs.

As stated, this plethora of choices that Linn has made available with other manufacturers is a great help to ensure that the LP12 is around and regarded as one of the best turntables for decades to come.

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
Find all posts by this user
2017-10-06, 19:09
It's notable that Linn have taken the step to ban the author of this thread, Lexon.

That in itself speaks volumes.

Regards,

Mark
2017-10-06, 19:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-07 08:19 by ContinentaltypeR.)
[/quote]
Beverley Lexon Abraham is what my parents chose to name me.
Not much fun at school being called Bev or Beverley so used Lex.
[/quote]

And I'm the Pope!
2017-10-06, 19:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-06 19:20 by Tangerine Audio.)
(2017-10-06 19:06)LD100 Wrote:  
(2017-10-06 18:53)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  Let me say this.

Linn have always and very graciously IMO talked about the Sondek LP12 as being an open platform, right from the get go with Grace and Supex, later Naim with the ARO, even now the Keel can accommodate the ARO.

Linn have also been good enough to provide a Forum, a platform for discussion that allows all these things.

In recent times we have seen new companies, Tangerine included bring new products to the market.

Top plates; we have Karmen and Khan.

Sub chassis; we have or had Rubikon, Akula and Plateau.

We have Tranquility and of course Stiletto, the crux of this thread.

The point is these are ALL original designs that take painstaking work to turn into a reality and then we have dealers with the capability and expertise to demonstrate the to customers.

At the end, the customer wins being given the choice and Linn win keeping the LP12 relevant and still arguably among the best record players on the planet.

I believe this all stems from a place of creativity, integrity and fundamentally a love of music and a desire to get the most from it.

By stark contrast, those who seek to clone, copy, ripoff are parasites who undermine all of the above; a quick buck from a cheap knock off.

In the end I think customers know better and both want and appreciate the real deal.

Regards,

Mark

Very well said...I believe part of being human is to enjoy choices...not one thing necessarily better than the other, just different, like vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream.

The ability to chose one or the other, or one out of many seems to elicit an almost emotional response in people, as in the shopping experience.
Perhaps we enjoy the thought that we picked the best, the one most suited to our needs.

As stated, this plethora of choices that Linn has made available with other manufacturers is a great help to ensure that the LP12 is around and regarded as one of the best turntables for decades to come.

Thank you andI think that's right, by the way; I like salted caramel!
2017-10-06, 21:49 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-06 21:49 by Rille.)
(2017-10-06 07:11)horizon Wrote:  This should be a fun forum for people to share their enthusiasm of Music, HiFi and Ideas.
Now legal action has been mentioned.

I think it's great that people are trying out some of these ideas in their own way.

The third party section was setup by Linn to allow us to discuss items that either mimic their offerings or augment in other ways. Don't bring legal action into it.

I understand your opinion.

On the other hand please respect my decision, when I reply to a post in this thread. I fell free by doing this.
2017-10-07, 08:06
My post wasn't about you.
People should keep the ideas coming and post (non personal) opinions, always interested to read about new stuff.
Threats of legal action etc and similar should be kept away from the thread.

We need to keep the forum fun otherwise people will start to leave.
This thread hasn't been much fun and the protagonist has been banned.
2017-10-08, 03:28
Look the LP12 has been around a long time and if anyone can make it better for a fair price go for it.
I think it great the someone going to make a metal plinth top plate that will not cost a arm and a leg.
It like the Keel and the AI Sole VIII sub-chassis witch is as good or better than the Keel and I could buy one.

Robert
LP12 /Sole Sub-Chassis VIII+In Soles/Mober DC&PSU /Roksan Nima&sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3/Whest PS30R
2017-10-08, 08:31
(2017-10-08 03:28)rkay5 Wrote:  Look the LP12 has been around a long time and if anyone can make it better for a fair price go for it.
I think it great the someone going to make a metal plinth top plate that will not cost a arm and a leg.
It like the Keel and the AI Sole VIII sub-chassis witch is as good or better than the Keel and I could buy one.

I think the thing is that innovation and choice is good, knock-offs are not. (whether they are Linn's original design in case of Keel, or Tangerine's in the case of Stiletto).

I could imagine for example an aluminium plinth assembled from four or maybe five parts (rather than machined from solid), which might give 80% of the stiletto for 50% of the cost. Not a knock off, but a different way to approach the same problem.

Knock offs do nothing to advance the state of the art, and they don't expand choice either.

I keep on referring back to John Ruskin who said "A man is prepared to make something a little worse, and a little cheaper; the person who considers price alone is this mans lawful prey".

KR

J
2017-10-08, 16:46
(2017-10-06 17:00)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  
(2017-10-06 16:33)matthias Wrote:  
(2017-10-06 14:56)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  Imagine after all our efforts, time and financial to wake up one morning and read someone is intending to copy our design,.......

Linn, the host here on this forum, is in the same position after launching the Keel.

Matt

You refer I think to Greenstreet and I agree .

Mark

They were just first to market. There were plenty that followed who went for the same customer.

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2017-10-08, 22:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-08 22:17 by Cymbiosis.)
(2017-10-08 16:46)John G Wrote:  
(2017-10-06 17:00)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  
(2017-10-06 16:33)matthias Wrote:  
(2017-10-06 14:56)Tangerine Audio Wrote:  Imagine after all our efforts, time and financial to wake up one morning and read someone is intending to copy our design,.......

Linn, the host here on this forum, is in the same position after launching the Keel.

Matt

You refer I think to Greenstreet and I agree .

Mark

They were just first to market. There were plenty that followed who went for the same customer.

Those that followed (some good and some not so good) were in the main not as badly engineered however! Hence my dust-up on PFM way back then.

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed