Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 21:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Old LP12.....needing some TLC.

Old LP12.....needing some TLC.
2017-10-03, 07:49
Old LP12.....needing some TLC.
This is my first post on the forum,so any advice is very welcome.

I've had a good search through the threads here and elsewhere,and tried to come up with a good set of upgrades for my old LP12.

The serial no. is in the 39000's,making it an 82-83 model if I'm right,originally with a Valhalla,which I swapped out for a Lingo 1 a few years ago.
The arm is an Ittok with a Lyra Argo.

After looking through here,I came up with the following as a sort of upgrade plan and would be happy for any thoughts....

Cirkus bearing
Kore sub-chassis
Trampolin 2

I know the plinth could do with being upgraded at some point as it's a bit scruffy and hardly modern,but my thought was to do the mechanicals first,then think about the plinth.

The rest of the system is a collection of bits from over the years..

BAT VK3i
Krell KMA100s
B&W 805
Quad ESL 57
World Audio 300Bs
Cary 300B SEi
Quad II and a few others....

Thanks in advance for help or advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-03, 08:36
RE: Old LP12.....needing some TLC.
Looks like an excellent upgrade path to me. Smile

‘troll
2017-10-03, 08:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 08:45 by Daddy Dom.)
Quote:my thought was to do the mechanicals first,then think about the plinth

Welcome! I think you'll be just fine with an attitude like that Wink That said, if you should find a good plinth while it's all apart having the above fitted, you'll save on changing it later.

Sounds like great kit and a very solid upgrade path. I also enjoy my LP12 through QUAD IIs via a Graham Slee phono stage.
DD

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
2017-10-03, 08:56 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 09:02 by What You See and Hear.)
(2017-10-03 07:49)alexs257 Wrote:  This is my first post on the forum,so any advice is very welcome.

I've had a good search through the threads here and elsewhere,and tried to come up with a good set of upgrades for my old LP12.

The serial no. is in the 39000's,making it an 82-83 model if I'm right,originally with a Valhalla,which I swapped out for a Lingo 1 a few years ago.
The arm is an Ittok with a Lyra Argo.

After looking through here,I came up with the following as a sort of upgrade plan and would be happy for any thoughts....

Cirkus bearing
Kore sub-chassis
Trampolin 2

I know the plinth could do with being upgraded at some point as it's a bit scruffy and hardly modern,but my thought was to do the mechanicals first,then think about the plinth.

The rest of the system is a collection of bits from over the years..

BAT VK3i
Krell KMA100s
B&W 805
Quad ESL 57
World Audio 300Bs
Cary 300B SEi
Quad II and a few others....

Thanks in advance for help or advice.

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Your idea is sound. The Cirkus bearing, Kore and Trampolinn 2 are great musical upgrades.

Important they are supplied and fitted by a Linn dealer with LP12 expertise as part of a professional rebuild and not mail ordered. The Cirkus box clearly states "Must be fitted by a Linn retailer" but it seems some are dyslexic, and I am surprised Linn have done nothing about Linn retailers ignoring their insructions and wishes. David please take note.

If you are in the UK I would also have the Lingo serviced by Darran at Class A in Sheffield. His work is seriously good and gives an old, slack Lingo it's pep and vigour back. The difference between unserviced and serviced by him is very impressive but I don't think he does work outside of the EU due to import/export hassle.

Your dealer will advise further on the Trampolinn as it may have to be modified to fit an old deck like yours and don't worry about the plinth, as provided it's not warped the deck can still sound outstanding after expert attention.

Back in May we had an LP12 not disimillar to yours and worth seeing later in the thread how it turned out.

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=36819

Post#34 is relevant.

Regards.

Colin Macey. WYSAH Beaconsfield.

www.whatyouseeandhear.com
www.wysah.com
01494 681300.
email colin@wysah.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-03, 08:59
Thank you both very much!

It's always reassuring when you're about to spend some cash to get the opinions of those who know......

I had a good look at the Booplinth and Woodsong plinths,and sat back and wished but that will be something for the next round I guess.

I've ignored the hifi for too long,while I was busy splurging on the car,but it's time to get the music going again.....the ESLs also need some attention and I think a visit to One Thing Audio should help them,and then I can get the 300Bs back in action.

So.....off to the dealer ASAP....thank you again.
2017-10-03, 09:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 09:25 by alexs257.)
(2017-10-03 08:56)What You See and Hear Wrote:  Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Your idea is sound. The Cirkus bearing, Kore and Trampolinn 2 are great musical upgrades.

Important they are supplied and fitted by a Linn dealer with LP12 expertise as part of a professional rebuild and not mail ordered. The Cirkus box clearly states "Must be fitted by a Linn retailer" but it seems some are dyslexic, and I am surprised Linn have done nothing about Linn retailers ignoring their insructions and wishes. David please take note.

If you are in the UK I would also have the Lingo serviced by Darran at Class A in Sheffield. His work is seriously good and gives an old, slack Lingo it's pep and vigour back. The difference between unserviced and serviced by him is very impressive but I don't think he does work outside of the EU due to import/export hassle.

Your dealer will advise further on the Trampolinn as it may have to be modified to fit an old deck like yours and don't worry about the plinth, as provided it's not warped the deck can still sound outstanding after expert attention.

Back in May we had an LP12 not disimillar to yours and worth seeing later in the thread how it turned out.

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=36819

Regards.

Thank you.

That's another great welcome and a lot of help.

My local dealer seems to have a thriving Linn community and had always been helpful,so I hope that extends to their mechanical skills,as mine are limited,and I wouldn't think of doing this myself.

Your advice re the Lingo is very useful,as I wouldn't have thought of that,and fortunately I'm in the UK,so I can add that to the list of things to get done.

I'll have a good look through the thread,and see what it should be like when it's done.

BTW....you're based in a lovely area.....used to live not far from there.

I should have added....I've got an old Ariston RD11E in the loft......is there any worth in having that refurb'd or looked at?
2017-10-03, 12:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 12:28 by What You See and Hear.)
(2017-10-03 09:18)alexs257 Wrote:  Thank you.

That's another great welcome and a lot of help.

My local dealer seems to have a thriving Linn community and had always been helpful,so I hope that extends to their mechanical skills,as mine are limited,and I wouldn't think of doing this myself.

Your advice re the Lingo is very useful,as I wouldn't have thought of that,and fortunately I'm in the UK,so I can add that to the list of things to get done.

I'll have a good look through the thread,and see what it should be like when it's done.

BTW....you're based in a lovely area.....used to live not far from there.

I should have added....I've got an old Ariston RD11E in the loft......is there any worth in having that refurb'd or looked at?

Hi

It is a lovely area but very expensive. We have been in our new showroom over a year and although cheaper and better than the old place it still costs a packet, but being here has merit as we are easy to get to and have parking and the facility is much better.

We are putting up a "walk round" on our website soon but it's already on google maps. Just put what you see and hear in the box, click on the picture of the courtyard and then have a wander.

As to the Ariston it should give someone some pleasure. Had one here a few years ago with an SME 3009 and Shure V15. The owner has a Klimax LP12 and got the Ariston out of the loft as a present for his daughter. Unfortunately the bearing was very worn and the spindle shaft had a number of deep scrape marks from the liners but she was happy nonetheless. I guess the oil had dried out and evaporated decades before but I did what I could.

Regards.

Colin Macey. WYSAH Beaconsfield.

www.whatyouseeandhear.com
www.wysah.com
01494 681300.
email colin@wysah.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-03, 19:45
Thanks Colin.

My memory of the area was similar but very nice.
2017-10-04, 15:03
Thanks to each of you for the help and advice in confirming my ideas.

It's booked in for the mods discussed,and I looked also at Class A,and was very pleasantly surprised by his prices,so that's on the list for sometime soon.

I've been using digital sources solely for too long I think.....I've got hi-res copies of a lot of the vinyl collection,and whilst it's a lot easier to use and to compile tracks,it really doesn't sound the same,even on a tired LP12.
2017-10-12, 09:31
Thanks for the advice....all the work's been completed,but now I have to wait until I've got a free day to go and collect it....a few days seems like an age.

Can't wait to see what the improvements will be.