Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-12, 09:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Exakt Version Info Question (again)

Exakt Version Info Question (again)
2017-10-03, 15:55
Exakt Version Info Question (again)
Sorry, this has probably been covered elsewhere before, and I may even have read the answer if there was one, but I'm confused again.

If one looks in the Exakt Release Notes here:
http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Ex...ease_Notes
There was a public release on 15 Aug (4.52.161) incorporating a few changes made since the previous public release on 20 March (4.51.110).

I am referring to the changes that appear not to be specific to a particular speaker, or the mono support for centre speakers, so for example the updates dated 4 May:
"Now reference fallback version 4.115.35507"
and 19 June:
"Fix for potential unrecoverable error if power was removed during fallback reprogramming
Now reference fallback version 4.215.35704
Updated to version 4.215.35704"

seem to be quite important but hasn't been applied to the Exaktbox-I. So I am wondering what these changes actually mean and why aren't they relevant for all Exakt systems?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-09, 10:10
RE: Exakt Version Info Question (again)
The exakt release notes page is a generic collection of changes to the overall exakt offering. The particular changes referenced only apply to katalyst hardware variants. Rest assured that Konfig will offer an update for your device if required, and the specific release notes for your device will be available in konfig prior to updating.
Find all posts by this user
2017-10-09, 14:28
Is there only one version of the Akurate DSM Exakt only version?

If, no, then could someone advise on the differences and when the changes were made.

It is difficult to work out from the Linn site whether the ADSM Exakt only is a /0 or a /1 base. Does it even matter?

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2017-10-09, 15:03
(2017-10-09 14:28)Dasher Wrote:  Is there only one version of the Akurate DSM Exakt only version?

If, no, then could someone advise on the differences and when the changes were made.

It is difficult to work out from the Linn site whether the ADSM Exakt only is a /0 or a /1 base. Does it even matter?

The previous question from timster was related to Exakt hardware (ie Exakt in and analog/speaker out).

The Akurate Exakt DSM supplies the digital audio to the Exakt hardware. /0 and /1 simply imply product variants (and are usually fairly important as they imply different hardware features). The Akurate Exakt DSM is /0 only as it has never had another variant.
2017-10-09, 16:13
(2017-10-09 10:10)joshh Wrote:  The exakt release notes page is a generic collection of changes to the overall exakt offering. The particular changes referenced only apply to katalyst hardware variants. Rest assured that Konfig will offer an update for your device if required, and the specific release notes for your device will be available in konfig prior to updating.

That makes sense. But I wonder if it would be worthwhile/possibvle for the release notes to say what devices are affected by a particular public release?
EG: Public Release: 15 Aug 2017 (4.52.161) for:
<list of devices>

Just for the avoidance of doubt/confusion ? Smile

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-09, 16:19
(2017-10-09 16:13)timster Wrote:  That makes sense. But I wonder if it would be worthwhile/possibvle for the release notes to say what devices are affected by a particular public release?
<list of devices>

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page we tried something similar but lead to another source of confusion (too much information). The release notes are auto-generated from the Exakt feed which is why they aren't great. I'll see what I can do.
2017-10-09, 16:27 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-09 16:27 by timster.)
(2017-10-09 16:19)joshh Wrote:  
(2017-10-09 16:13)timster Wrote:  That makes sense. But I wonder if it would be worthwhile/possibvle for the release notes to say what devices are affected by a particular public release?
<list of devices>

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page we tried something similar but lead to another source of confusion (too much information). The release notes are auto-generated from the Exakt feed which is why they aren't great. I'll see what I can do.

Ah. Yes. I see what you mean!

(2017-10-09 16:19)joshh Wrote:  
<list of devices>

Ah. Yes. I see what you mean!

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-09, 21:19
The Akurate Exakt DSM supplies the digital audio to the Exakt hardware. /0 and /1 simply imply product variants (and are usually fairly important as they imply different hardware features). The Akurate Exakt DSM is /0 only as it has never had another variant.
[/quote]

Yes, I did realise that I was slightly off topic but felt it close enough to be related. Thanks for clearing this up as I suspected that the Exakt only was a "0" but couldn't be certain.

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2017-10-10, 12:46
(2017-10-09 21:19)Dasher Wrote:  I suspected that the Exakt only was a "0" but couldn't be certain.

I might be wrong about this, but I think that the /0 designation is not used until there is a /1; the Exakt-only DSMs have had only the one version. My KEDSM is designated "Klimax Exakt DSM" in Konfig and LinnDocs, and the software variant is likewise "KlimaxExaktDsm", rather than "KlimaxExaktDsmMk1".

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko