Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-24, 10:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Strange Konfig Issue

Strange Konfig Issue
2017-10-06, 06:30
RE: Strange Konfig Issue
(2017-10-05 18:51)phino Wrote:  
(2017-10-05 16:48)Wballemans Wrote:  
(2017-10-05 14:59)joshh Wrote:  Apologies for the lack of forum communication here. I was working directly with our service team on this problem and was completely oblivious otherwise.

Recently a customer purchased/upgraded to a new Katalyst system with a use case we had not yet considered. In an attempt to get this customer up and running with what seemed like a trivial fix, we managed to break the entire Exakt deployment system. A better test is now and place to stop this happening again. Konfig will also be updated to provide better feedback than an endless in progress message.

Thanks Josh for giving this update. To me it came as a surprise that running my Exaktbox was direct depending of something happening is Scotland. I agree that it is wise to review the overall system architecture of having this dependency and to strive to loosely coupled system environment. Disturbances @ Linn should not impact the consumer system availability. Hence no impact on unplanned down times. Looking forward to the progress Linn will be making on this matter.

Good luck, Willem

I think this prevented Konfig working properly but an already set-up system shouldn't have broken - I was listening to music throughout on my setup. Are you saying that your system was working prior to this incident, stopped and then would no longer play music until Linn fixed the problem?
Perhaps you were using Konfig whilst the change that broke everything was implemented and as such left your Exaktbox in an unusable state?

I don't think it's correct to say that an Exaktbox needs a permanent connection to Linn in order to operate. Easy enough to test, just disconnect your router from the Internet.

Correct - it can only be Konfig that may require this kind of communication. Breaking your link to the cloud does not prevent any system (Exakt or otherwise) playing as normal.

I wonder what kind of use-case that customer had. Must be extremely strange if no one had considered it, and the fix caused such an issue.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-06, 10:27
Thanks for the update Joshh.

Reminded me of a time in the where I fixed an application access issue for one user and took the whole company offline! You only need that to happen once to make you think twice about what you're changing. Those were the days Smile
Find all posts by this user
2017-10-06, 19:17 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-06 19:18 by PeteA.)
(2017-10-05 14:59)joshh Wrote:  In an attempt to get this customer up and running with what seemed like a trivial fix, we managed to break the entire Exakt deployment system.

Josh, I have these exact skills!!

Where's the best place to send my C.V./resume?.....

Wink

Bitstream Believer since early '94
Find all posts by this user