Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Passive Kaber distortion at low volume

Passive Kaber distortion at low volume
2017-10-04, 11:23
Passive Kaber distortion at low volume
I have a pair of passive Kabers driven from a Klout. One of them has started distorting with buzzy noise at low volume. You don't really hear it so much at high volume. I swapped them over and its definitely the speaker not the amp. I thought I'd blown the tweeter so swapped that out as I had a spare, but it made no difference so now is suspect the crossover. I guess the capacitors deteriorate over time (them are prob 25 years old). Can the be fixed or does anyone have a spare set of Kaber crossovers lying around? Not sure it could be anything else? I'm not sure what I would do without them!

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-04, 12:29 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-04 12:31 by Donald.)
RE: Passive Kaber distortion at low volume
(2017-10-04 11:23)pfd Wrote:  I have a pair of passive Kabers driven from a Klout. One of them has started distorting with buzzy noise at low volume. You don't really hear it so much at high volume. I swapped them over and its definitely the speaker not the amp. I thought I'd blown the tweeter so swapped that out as I had a spare, but it made no difference so now is suspect the crossover. I guess the capacitors deteriorate over time (them are prob 25 years old). Can the be fixed or does anyone have a spare set of Kaber crossovers lying around? Not sure it could be anything else? I'm not sure what I would do without them!

Thanks.

Capacitors can and do go bad after a period of time and after 25 years I'd certainly consider replacing them.

Don't know about your DIY skills but it should be possible to use a multi-meter to test the components on the crossovers - any Linn dealer or qualified electronics person should be able to carry out a few basic checks.

Symptoms of deteriorating capacitors are often a muffled sound with loss at higher frequencies although distortion on tweeters can also occur.

Unlikely that any other components on the crossovers will need to be replaced e.g coils, so probably no real need to source a replacement set of Kaber crossovers. Smile

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-10-04, 13:57
Is the buzzing sound definitely coming from the tweeter? Put some music on at low volume, then cover the tweeter with your hand, have you masked the buzzing noise? If you still hear the buzzing the same then it's likely coming from one of the other drivers. cover those one at a time with an LP or a magazine till you can confirm which driver is making the noise.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-04, 16:25
Thinking about it, didn't somebody on here have a similar problem that was resolved by turning the mid or mid/bass driver through 180 degrees so the old bottom was the new top when viewed from infront?

I seem to remember that the driver had 'sagged' a bit and was scrapping the voice coil slightly and by rotating the driver the 'unstretched' portion was then at the top resulting in the voice coil becoming better aligned?

Thinking about it some more, it may well have been on a Keltik mid but the principle is the same though...

Bitstream Believer since early '94
2017-10-04, 17:39
(2017-10-04 16:25)PeteA Wrote:  Thinking about it, didn't somebody on here have a similar problem that was resolved by turning the mid or mid/bass driver through 180 degrees so the old bottom was the new top when viewed from infront?

I seem to remember that the driver had 'sagged' a bit and was scrapping the voice coil slightly and by rotating the driver the 'unstretched' portion was then at the top resulting in the voice coil becoming better aligned?

Thinking about it some more, it may well have been on a Keltik mid but the principle is the same though...

Yes, this can happen with drivers that are decades old.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
2017-10-04, 19:07
(2017-10-04 17:39)bettermusic Wrote:  Yes, this can happen with drivers that are decades old.

I rotated the mid/bass drivers on my twenty year old Keilidhs thereby avoiding a condition known as "basket sag". Smile

Interesting to hear what the OP discovers?

Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
2017-10-04, 20:35
well, I think you guys have nailed it. I had a much better listen and stopped jumping to conclusions and it is the midrange driver at the top that is buzzing. Whilst covering it, i gently touched the lower portion of the cone and the buzzing stopped as I guess I was supporting the cone and stopping the slump. It will be couple of days before I can spin it around but I will report back if that does the trick.

Here's hoping the bolts come out!
2017-10-04, 20:46
(2017-10-04 20:35)pfd Wrote:  Here's hoping the bolts come out!

Great news - much cheaper than a replacement pair of crossovers!

Just ensure you use the correct tool and size to get the bolts out - remember to rotate all the drivers while you're at it.

Well done to Gary (again) for suggesting this!

2017-10-05, 13:54
(2017-10-04 20:46)Donald Wrote:  
(2017-10-04 20:35)pfd Wrote:  Here's hoping the bolts come out!

Great news - much cheaper than a replacement pair of crossovers!

Just ensure you use the correct tool and size to get the bolts out - remember to rotate all the drivers while you're at it.

Well done to Gary (again) for suggesting this!

Thanks Donald, but it was PeteA that threw out the suggestion.

Gary

2017-10-05, 14:50
(2017-10-04 20:35)pfd Wrote:  well, I think you guys have nailed it. I had a much better listen and stopped jumping to conclusions and it is the midrange driver at the top that is buzzing. Whilst covering it, i gently touched the lower portion of the cone and the buzzing stopped as I guess I was supporting the cone and stopping the slump. It will be couple of days before I can spin it around but I will report back if that does the trick.

Here's hoping the bolts come out!

Use new metric Allen keys and they should come out no bother, although there may be an initial squeak as they first move.

‘troll