Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-11, 08:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Shuffle causing system to crash

Shuffle causing system to crash
2017-10-05, 20:19
Shuffle causing system to crash
Evening all,

Strange thing happening; every time I shuffle tracks in Kinsky and then drag a bunch of them over to the play list the system crashes and I get an error message and all the music disappears from view and takes me ages to find network again and get it all up and running again. I have tried moving just a handful or a large number of tracks but the result is always the same.
Been happening for a few weeks now so obviously tried the whole turning on and off and unplugging things etc. This is really annoying as ever since I have found the shuffle option this is the way I listen to my music, never one album at a time!
I think that kinsky and konfig are up to date but must admit that haven't tried updating anything just recently as last couple of updates also caused system to not function at all for a while.
when I just drag whole albums over to play list it works fine, only seems to be issue when using shuffle !
Any ideas?
Thanks

Main: Klimax Renew DS, 2250/D, My Audio Design 1920 speakers
2nd: Classik Music, AVI Pro-nine speakers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-06, 09:06
RE: Shuffle causing system to crash
It sounds like your DS may be crashing. We can't find any obvious reports however so can you provide us with some more information please?

Can you PM me a note of your product id and the software version on your DS please? Both are listed on the About tab in your DS' Configuration page in Konfig.
2017-10-06, 18:56
OK will do,

Thanks Simon

Ray

2017-10-09, 12:05
(2017-10-06 18:56)mondo Wrote:  OK will do,

Thanks Simon

Ray

Hi Ray

I received your PM - thanks. We have no crash reports from your DS however. Can you check whether sending of these is enabled (Device -> Send Crash Data on your DS's configuration page in Konfig) please?

If that option is already selected, can you narrow down the steps for us to reproduce the problem please? It should become quite easy to fix your problem if we can get to a series of actions (possibly using named tracks) that prompt the problem.

thanks
Simon
2017-10-09, 19:32
Hi Simon,
Yes, the send crash data is enabled

I listened this evening first selecting a few albums in Kinsky and then dragging them to playlist and then hitting play, I used this with random selected and this all worked fine.

Then I chose from kinsky All albums, Shuffle tracks, then moved only three lines worth of the shuffled tracks into the playlist and then hit play again, this time no music at all, just a spinning wheel. Then when I go back to the library my Asset UPnP is no longer available and I can't play anything, even if I turn Kinsky on and off a few times.
The led on the Renew is still on so it is not this that is crashing! Not sure what it can be as everything works fine until I shuffle all the albums and tracks!

This is the message that comes up in place of all the album art
"A problem occurred retrieving content from the specified location" and a red triangle error symbol.

2017-10-10, 06:24
(2017-10-09 19:32)mondo Wrote:  Hi Simon,
Yes, the send crash data is enabled

I listened this evening first selecting a few albums in Kinsky and then dragging them to playlist and then hitting play, I used this with random selected and this all worked fine.

Then I chose from kinsky All albums, Shuffle tracks, then moved only three lines worth of the shuffled tracks into the playlist and then hit play again, this time no music at all, just a spinning wheel. Then when I go back to the library my Asset UPnP is no longer available and I can't play anything, even if I turn Kinsky on and off a few times.
The led on the Renew is still on so it is not this that is crashing! Not sure what it can be as everything works fine until I shuffle all the albums and tracks!

This is the message that comes up in place of all the album art
"A problem occurred retrieving content from the specified location" and a red triangle error symbol.

That sound awfully like a time-out issue. I have had this with Asset - I think it takes too long sometimes, so Kinsky times-out. If you try the same in Kazoo it will have the endless spinning wheel. So I think it's actually Asset, not Linn.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-10, 09:28
(2017-10-10 06:24)timster Wrote:  That sound awfully like a time-out issue. I have had this with Asset - I think it takes too long sometimes, so Kinsky times-out. If you try the same in Kazoo it will have the endless spinning wheel. So I think it's actually Asset, not Linn.

I agree with timster, but would also suggest that network discovery issues may be playing a part as well. Different apps seem to respond to discovery problems in different ways. Sometime just switching everything off and progressively back on again, starting with the router, can clear problems of this kind.

One thing you could do to test the possibility is set up a MinimServer installation somewhere on the network. These days, MinimServer will work quite well on a PC or MAc even when the music files are on a NAS, so you don't need to do a possibly more complicated NAS installation in order to experiment.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-10-10, 19:07
Thanks for the replies

As for timing out, I can't really believe this as it happens instantly when shuffled, even if just with a handful of tracks as I tried last night. When I drag a dozen albums over (without first shuffling) it works fine. Last night took over an hour to get it working again so I'm not going to experiment anymore for now.

The strange thing is that the last time I posted on these hallowed pages was to sing the praises of said shuffle function on kinsky, since I found this option I've used it almost daily since. Seems odd it is causing problems now! I appreciate it may not be the Linn software itself causing the crash but it very annoying as I was enjoying listening to music collection on shuffle; not knowing what was coming next and finding some hidden gems long forgotten about. Would really like to have it back again.

As for MiminServer, I don't even know what that is .... but will google it. I only use a basic set up of PC laptop and streamer, and some powerline adapters to help with the signal. Apart from the aforementioned shuffle crash the system is working wonderfully .....

(Ray)Mondo