Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Mac mini as server, advice for muppet

Mac mini as server, advice for muppet
2017-10-06, 14:30
Mac mini as server, advice for muppet
Replacement for ripnas running Asset?

Dear all, after many years of service my ripnas is starting to play up. It runs an old version of whs and this is no longer supported. Asset is now running on my iMac with my music on a 2Tb usb drive, its a 30 day freebie and then I’ll have to buy.

The ripnas also has an older version of lms as we also have a few squeezebox touches and booms dotted around the house.

I need to set up a new server to allow access to my flac library for an Akurate DS, Sneaky DS, and the various squeezeboxes.

I have a late 2014 Mac mini which could be used, and I could switch everything to this. I’d connect the music library via usb, OS X runs lms, question is which software I should run for the DS to access the music? I’ve heard minim mentioned a lot, any good and easy to install? Generally we use iPhones or iPads to control

Thanks in advance

Simon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-06, 14:54
RE: Mac mini as server, advice for muppet
Minim is excellent, and easy to install. Configuration over and above the defaults requires MinimWatch though, and it needs manual rescanning for new items. Or there's Kazoo Server which provides fairly basic functionality.
I'd try Minim, and if you like it, it's donationware, up to you but it deserves something Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-06, 15:36 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-06 15:40 by Music at Home.)
I'm using a dedicated Mac mini as my music server with Minimserver installed. I've replaced the hard drive in the Mac mini with an SSD drive and all my music sits on that, so it's all self contained, boot's up and shut's down quickly and is completely silent.

When I had one I hated having to access a NAS by remoteing on and having to use a command line interface for installing/updating/removing anything. Mac mini is so much easier to manage in that respect. I don't bother with Minim watch but having a GUI means it's very simple to rescan your library and it's rescanned anyway each time the mac mini is restarted (I shut it down when not in use).

For control software, I use Kazoo, either on the Mac mini itself or from a laptop and all works fine.

ADSM/1 -> 4200/1 x 2 -> Aktiv 109's
2017-10-06, 16:15
Thanks

Mmmmm up and running, minim installed and indexing but kazoo on my iPhone can’t see it

Put Asset on the Mac mini as well, works fine and music playing via akurate, for scans of kazoo to find servers...no minim but Asset there

Does minim on the Mac need configuration to be visible on the network, or does it wait to finishing scanning before working as a server?
2017-10-06, 16:36
Pretty sure it need to finish before it'll appear.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-06, 16:49
Ok, thanks

35000 tracks to scan, I'll have to be patient!

(2017-10-06 16:36)timster Wrote:  Pretty sure it need to finish before it'll appear.
2017-10-08, 20:45
I've been using a Mac mini with external RAID drive as my server for 4 years. I run both Kazoo & Minimserver on it - it's great

Regards

Peter-Marc

KDS4/350A; ADSE/AkurateExaktbox 6/6100/109; MDSM2/109; Sekrit(x5)/109; Sneaky
MacMini: MinimServer/Kazoo
TS-419P+:MinimServer/Assett
2017-10-09, 20:32
Since you have lms and ipeng, why not use skweezyds plugin and use lms/ipeng also for DS control?
I use: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1438234070 @ Sun Aug 2 04:05:00 CUT 2015
Since my sb3 died, I pair my DS with squeezeplay Firmware: 7.8.0-r959

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2017-10-10, 01:06
(2017-10-08 20:45)fortune Wrote:  I've been using a Mac mini with external RAID drive as my server for 4 years. I run both Kazoo & Minimserver on it - it's great

Me too

I use J River MC & MinimServer.

JRMC works well for me as I can use it as a network server for MSDM & to play through USB direct to my DAC.

There is a good choice of software so it is easy to find something that suits.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s