Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Keltik Speaker Positioning

Keltik Speaker Positioning
2017-10-07, 01:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-07 01:37 by FlamesVoice.)
Keltik Speaker Positioning
I just had the "a ha!" moment. I've been fooling around with the Keltik speaker positioning and the Aktiv card settings for days (weeks). I just went from 1/4" toe-in to 1/2" toe in and everything suddenly "snapped" into place! How is it that a 1/4" can make such a big difference? Strange but true! The Keltiks now sound incredible!

Maybe, just maybe, I can finally just sit back and enjoy some music!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-07, 08:12
RE: Keltik Speaker Positioning
I have spent many hours trying to get keltiks to work.

Without room correction you really need room treatment or there's bound to be some low frequency taking off.

I bet they sound wonderful with exakt.
2017-10-07, 13:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-07 13:57 by Briain.)
Hi

Back in the days when they were still current, I had a Keltik system and it took me a long time to get them optimal (and as you say, a few mm positional change - both in terms of location and rotation - made a huge difference), but when I had eventually found the correct position, they sounded totally and utterly awesome (it was a big room and the bass they produced in it was absolutely fantastic). When I then moved (in the year 2001) I couldn't get them to work in a smaller lounge, but fortunately, I had a studio mastering processor, so using that as a DAC for my Karik, I managed to set a couple of dips to notch out the worst two room modes (just did it by ear) and that really made a huge difference; without that they were totally unusable in that room (well, to put that more accurately, the 2 x 1 x 1 dimensioned room was totally unsuitable for the Keltiks). Curiously, I did eventually manage to get 350s working reasonably well in there, but I think a lot of it was to do with me being able to position them a little closer to the side walls (with the Keltiks, the Klouts at the sides of them were physically getting in the way of trying that option).

As to the Exakt variants, at one of the Linn events they had Exakt Keltiks (in the downstairs room) and they sounded astonishingly good. Not long before that event took place, Phil Budd had realised that he could use Exakt to add delay such that the wave-front from the back bass unit hit the front bass unit exactly when required (rather than being a fraction of a millisecond late) and this was also demonstrated (and it sounded stunning); that was quite some system to listen to (and in some ways, it made me wish that I'd retained my Keltiks, but I now have the 350A system - in a much larger room - sounding pretty good)!

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2017-10-07, 20:35 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-07 21:59 by Glyn Ruck.)
I'm talking from basic principles as I do not know the Keltik well but once you have the "toe" correct for your room & listening position (and yes very small adjustments can have a large impact). Also try playing with slight tilt either backwards or forwards. The sound becomes more forward, more aggressive and subjectively more detailed when the speakers are tilted backward, ie. leaning backwards. When tilted forward, they sound more relaxed, get less aggressive and forward in the midrange, and become more airy in the treble. Effect varies by speaker type & height but getting it right can be very rewarding.