Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 11:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Kan MK1 Vs. Katan

Kan MK1 Vs. Katan
2017-10-07, 06:16
Kan MK1 Vs. Katan
Wondering how people would compare the sound of these two legendary stand mounts? Has anyone listened to them side by side?

Thanks
Alan

Sneaky DS, LK140, Kan MK1, K20
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-07, 09:04
RE: Kan MK1 Vs. Katan
You are not considering putting your Kan’s on Katan stands I hope.

Main system, Lp12 tranquility , trampoline 2 , Cirkus bearing and sub chassis, lingo 3, Black Ittok LV11, Kairn Pro, Linto, LK280/Spark x2, Kudos. Kan11’s, silvers.

Lounge, Sneaky DS, kan’s

Kitchen, Kinekt room amp, sweetspot speakers. Streamed via Tidal.
2017-10-07, 12:27
(2017-10-07 09:04)Ant_61 Wrote:  You are not considering putting your Kan’s on Katan stands I hope.

No Ant, I am just curious about the "sound" of various Linn speakers having never heard the katan or the tukans. I do have the Kan MK2 stands for my Kans but am currently not using them as I have my speakers in my bookshelves... Less then ideal, but wife approved!

Sneaky DS, LK140, Kan MK1, K20
2017-10-07, 15:30
Haven't owned Katans but have some Kan I, II and 109 pairs. Heard Katans a few times at dealers, but no direct comparison with Kan.
My impression with Katans, being ported, give more bass, especially aktiv. But it's been many years now, so..
Katans are also less demanding when it comes to the front end. While Katans get better with every upgrade of the front end, Kans require a very good one to come alive.
I had Kans with a Classik-K which was no fun at all. Added an LK140, which was ok but only with some music. With Ikemi, Kairn and Klout they where really good though, but better still with RDS/0 and especially vinyl. (Rock and hard rock need a Sizmik though imho).
With a Sneaky, I would guess Katans would work better than Kans. But ported Katans would not be happy in a shelf.

Probably not the advice you like to hear, but if you like Kans but have no plans to upgrade a lot, I would recommend M109s. They have some similarities in character, are less demanding, they can be placed on your KanII stands (though deeper), work closer to the wall than Katans and possibly would even be alright in your shelf.
2017-10-07, 21:24
Maybe slightly off subject.

I have my 109's in bookshelves - not seen as ideal. But i tell you, they sound great. front ported makes them easy to position i think.
I had a pair of original Mission 780 SE before this (front ported) in shelves, which were difficult to replace - but the 109's delivered i have to say. They sound great with all types of music and do deliver a decent scale and weight.
2017-10-07, 21:35
Kans are fast and very revealling. Almost analytical. They can easily sound thin and hard if not given the best of everything, including plenty of power.
Katans are more flowing, they sound full and warmer than Kan. Friendlier if you like. They respond extremely well to going active.

I couldn't live with Kans, even on the end of an extremely good system. I'd live with active Katans very happily. But its all personal taste of course.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-10-07, 21:38
(2017-10-07 21:24)Coolie Wrote:  Maybe slightly off subject.

I have my 109's in bookshelves - not seen as ideal. But i tell you, they sound great. front ported makes them easy to position i think.
I had a pair of original Mission 780 SE before this (front ported) in shelves, which were difficult to replace - but the 109's delivered i have to say. They sound great with all types of music and do deliver a decent scale and weight.
I have a chance of a well priced pair of 109’s and a good offer for a pair of my Kan’s.
Scared to take the chance though, only plus I can think of just now is that my wife prefers the more modern look.

Main system, Lp12 tranquility , trampoline 2 , Cirkus bearing and sub chassis, lingo 3, Black Ittok LV11, Kairn Pro, Linto, LK280/Spark x2, Kudos. Kan11’s, silvers.

Lounge, Sneaky DS, kan’s

2017-10-07, 21:53
I had some Kan Is years ago on the end of a High spec Orbe/SME TT and Sudden amp and , like SunbeamGLS I just couldn't live with it. I "upgraded" from LS3/5As to the Kans and rapidly ended up with B&Ws instead.

I do have some Katans and find them very pleasurable. I've used them being driven by LK85s/140s and a 5125. They are currently my rear surrounds.

I've also had them on the end of both a Classik and a first version Classik movie. They did a sterling job here - not phased by the source at all. I've had Kans on the Classik - horrible, but Kan IVs work very well with a Classik. I currently have one Classik running with Kan IVs and another with Quad 77/11s - which I find they also work very well with.

Never been fortunate enough to try them active.

Bottom line for me is that Katans are far more versatile than the Kans. I know many people swear by early Kans but for me they just didn't float my boat - and I've tried to like them and listened to them where the source has been spectacular. I find them more monitor like than monitors!

Primary: LP12, Gaio, KRDS/1, Akurate Tuner, USC, Sony BRP, Kinos, 3 x 5125, Espeks, Ekwal, Katans, 2 x Sizmik 10.5, Stax 507. Stands Unique Supports
Secondary: LP12, Dino/Dino+, Pekin, Genki, Kairn, 3 x LK85, Keilidhs, Stands Unique Supports
Tertiary: Raumfeld Connector, Classik, Kan IVs
2017-10-07, 21:59
(2017-10-07 21:38)Ant_61 Wrote:  

I have a chance of a well priced pair of 109’s and a good offer for a pair of my Kan’s.
Scared to take the chance though, only plus I can think of just now is that my wife prefers the more modern look.

Always keep your wife happy, even if it means taking a backwards step every now and then. Later, with the addition of a bottle of champagne and maybe a box of chocolates - (on second thoughts, forget the chocolates, she’ll think you’re having an affair), you can put in a request for a Klimax DS and she’ll say yes without even being aware of what she’s agreed to. I learnt that trick from “The Battle Secrets of Atilla The Hun”. It works every time for me!

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-10-07, 22:20
(2017-10-07 21:59)spannko Wrote:  
(2017-10-07 21:38)Ant_61 Wrote:  

Always keep your wife happy, even if it means taking a backwards step every now and then. Later, with the addition of a bottle of champagne and maybe a box of chocolates - (on second thoughts, forget the chocolates, she’ll think you’re having an affair), you can put in a request for a Klimax DS and she’ll say yes without even being aware of what she’s agreed to. I learnt that trick from “The Battle Secrets of Atilla The Hun”. It works every time for me!

You have just pinpointed something I keep thinking about, step backwards, I know kan’s are years old, but I do feel the 109’s are not a forward movement, champagne, she only drinks bollinger Sad
BTW who told you about my affair .

Lounge, Sneaky DS, kan’s