Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-26, 16:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Alexa control of the DS

Alexa control of the DS
2018-04-12, 14:20
RE: Alexa control of the DS
(2018-04-11 18:34)clanger9 Wrote:  For the sceptics out there (I'm one of them), you might want to try Alexa et al before dismissing the concept outright. I had a play with my parents' Echo Show the other day...

Yes, the sound quality is dire compared to a proper hifi, but I was able to mumble "Hey Alexa, play That's All by Sister Rosetta Tharpe" and dammit, it did. First attempt, complete with artist info and liner notes on the screen. It's very impressive. Tell it to "play music from the 60's" and it does. Much, much easier and quicker than faffing about with Kazoo.

If it could a) interact with my existing music collection and b) control playback through my DS, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

It's the future, I tell ya! ;-)

It's certainly part of the future that's for sure.

Re a post higher up - Amazon would prefer Alexa to integrate with everything and so they really aren't a barrier. After all Amazon were one of the first retail organisations to analyse what you buy and then compare that to other users own to predict what else you might like to buy. They would gain the same info from what you play and so it's a bonus not a negative for them and frankly for you/us. Big Grin

Linn said they had looked at it already and the hesitation was more to do with the quality of the music database (my words) which I took to mean the depth of work around recognition of musical commands, artists/albums and tracks. The latter being the issue. I am guessing that with Amazon Prime they can limit that to the music available but with a Linn DS it has to make a fist of anything. I would imagine classical is a bit of a mare to handle verbally.

Maybe someone from Linn can update us sometime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply