Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Ella & Louis

Ella & Louis
2017-10-11, 13:10
RE: Ella & Louis
(2017-10-11 13:04)smokestack Wrote:  Yep, there are some good examples and some great modern production/mastering work.

But , sadly, it isn't the norm.

( There have, of course, always been some terrible recordings as well as the great ones . That's not new by any means Big Grin]
+1

Having mathed(?!??) that, it is a shame that so many modern recordings suck so bad.
These days there shouldn't be an excuse for that anymore.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-11, 13:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-11 14:05 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2017-10-11 12:04)kelly200269 Wrote:  I sometimes listen to the old Nat King Cole tracks, and am amazed that such fidelity could be captured on tape so long ago. It's as if he's in your room, singing right in front of you.
Contrast that with the mess that is Whitesnake's latest 30th Anniversary release of '1987'. A truly awful late-80's digital recording, with an equally awful re-release.
Sometimes 'progress' isn't progress!

Yep ~ Nat King Cole was very well recorded as was Johnny Mathis.

In the 80's anything mastered by Doug Sax was also darn good!

I'm pleased to see with Sony reopening pressing plants that they are getting the old, long retired guys back to train the newbies before all the old tricks of the trade are lost forever.
2017-10-11, 14:54
(2017-10-11 13:55)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  ... I'm pleased to see with Sony reopening pressing plants that they are getting the old, long retired guys back to train the newbies before all the old tricks of the trade are lost forever.

That's nice to know.