Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 03:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / QNAP HS-251+

QNAP HS-251+
2017-10-12, 14:15
RE: QNAP HS-251+
It has been ages since I transferred a lot of data to a USB caddy, but it should be possible to work out approximately how long it would take (from looking at all the bits involved and noting the slowest item in the chain). Without sanity checking things, I suspect that transferring 1 TB to a USB disk could take 10 to 12 hours, but I really would have to go and do some sums to refresh my memory (speaking of which, that is by far the most defective aspect of my entire system; if only I could run a pair of brains in RAID 1)!

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-12, 14:36
Don't forget USB3.0 is a whole lot faster than USB2.0. I don't think my first backup (which would have been about 500-750GB) took more than a few hours (from memory of course).

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-12, 15:02
(2017-10-12 14:36)timster Wrote:  Don't forget USB3.0 is a whole lot faster than USB2.0. I don't think my first backup (which would have been about 500-750GB) took more than a few hours (from memory of course).

True; my USB caddies are now tending towards being ancient (likely USB 2 was still quite a novel concept when I purchased them)! Wink

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
2017-10-14, 07:34
Bri, before getting into the initial NAS->NAS transfer, I have been pondering my data management and backup strategy once I have the QNAP. So is the following possible and a good strategy?

Assuming that:
QNAP NAS = primary source for Music (and maybe Movies, not sure yet)
Synology NAS = secondary/redundancy source of the above, PLUS maybe Movies, PLUS personal documents and other things

I understand (if I'm correct) that if I had two synology NAS's there is a way to sync them together such that if I add any files to one, it can automatically sync to the other to keep them the same. Would this be possible between the QNAP and Synology?

I am thinking that then:
a) I'd only need to add new music/movies to one NAS,
b) I could do my monthly USB data backups from the Synology only, thus
c) would only need a smaller and less frequent (maybe even manual) backup from the QNAP, just for it's system/software files, and
d) it seems overkill to have to do a full data backup from both every month...

So if either NAS's fail, I will always have up to date data on the other (save the other stuff on the Synology - but it is backed up anyway), and it would be easy to recover data to the failed NAS (once it's fixed) from the other using a NAS->NAS transfer.

Yay or nay? Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-14, 11:46
I think I may have found the answer to the above. May not be bst to try and find this out without the machine to play with, but according to the QNAP website, its features include:

Quote:You can also gain a disaster recovery solution with the RTRR (Real Time Remote Replication) feature with backup versioning support by replicating data in multiple shared folders from the HS-251+ to another NAS over the network to ensure the safety of your important data.

I'm hoping this is what I was referring to? Or is it the Qsync utility?

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-14, 13:22 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-14 13:24 by Briain.)
Hi

Yes, my understanding is that RTRR is the way to continuously keep two NAS units in sync with each other (though I haven't tried it; reasons below). I don't know much about Qsync, but I think that is for backing up computers to the NAS (as opposed to NAS to NAS file level or share level backups) and again, that is not something that I have ever required (so I have not looked at what it claims to do).

I have never bothered using scheduled backup tasks or RTRR, as in my case, the backup NAS units remain powered off until I actually need to do a backup. These days, I don't as frequently buy new music, so it's mostly just the data share that needs backed up, and as it is only myself that creates/modifies data on that data share, I am always fully concious of how 'up to date' my backup units are, so when I feel that it is getting near time that I backed it all up (or if I have just uploaded something really critical) then I fire up the other NAS units and manually start the backup jobs (one for each share).

I am aware - from Qnap forum posts - of folks who do use RRTR (sometimes over a VPN to a remote site) and from what I have gathered, it appears to work very well. The only downside is that if you delete a file on one unit then it will likely immediately be deleted on the backup NAS. Of course, the Qnap has a 'recycle bin', so if you'd accidentally deleted it, there is still a way to recover it and thus even that should not be an issue.

Of course, if you somehow deleted the entire contents of a share (your music one, for example) then the RTRR would delete the entire contents from the backup NAS (and likely that would exceed the default size limitation of recycle bin, so I prefer to check that my share is about the expected size before performing a manual backup job; I like to be in full control, but that is just my personal preference (personal paranoia, more like) on how to run things.

Actually, I have not even looked to see if the recycle bin has a default capacity limit, but assuming it has, likely that is something that you can elect to define via the Qnap web interface (so worth looking into that if you plan to use RTRR; also worth looking at same in the Synology's recycle bin settings options).

Qsync is not something that I have ever looked at, but I have read a few posts claiming that it is a pretty poor feature and advising its avoidance. That said, there are always posts like that (about everything) so I have no idea how much faith to lend to these posts. In my case, I store very little (of importance) on any of my PCs or tablets. For 'running' documents (i.e. ones that get updated over time) I tend to immediately pop them onto the NAS (then open them and work on them from there) or for one-off documents, I create them on the PC and when done, pop them onto the NAS. So for me, there is no need for any utility to sync documents and files from a PC to the NAS (which is why I have never read up on things like Qsync) as in my case, they are already located on the NAS.

Bri Smile

2017-10-14, 14:01
Thanks Bri. RRTR sounds promising and would make my plan viable. I just hope it's not a client-server thing that would require the other NAS to run some Qnap client app.
Not too concerned about deletions. I never do anything remotely or with shell commands, so there's always a confirmation dialogue when I delete things from the Synology, and network drives on the PC. But, if I do decide to recover something I had deleted there's always the backup (which I've setup to reserve backed up files).
Amazon are helpfully sending me the WD Reds first with the Qnap to follow "when available". Hope it's not too long. Once I get an idea and want to do something I get a terrible bee in my bonnet!

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-14, 14:07
BTW, I know you're interested in this kind of thing Bri, so it's probably old news to you, but HDDs are likely to be able to store 40TB in the near future, thanks to microwaves:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41611802

How may albums would that be? Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-14, 15:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-14 15:47 by Briain.)
That is very interesting; I will have to ask a few of my friends to see if anyone can maybe explain the electromagnetics of it all. Actually, I will later search the www for information on the heat-assisted magnetic recording aspect (and from that, it might even be possible to deduce what they might be up to with the radio aspect). I'm certainly no expert - to put it mildly - but own concern about the current high densities is the sheer level of stress between adjacent magnetic domains (think of how the higher frequencies on old musicassette tapes degrade over time; I am showing my age, here) so it will be interesting to know how (or if) the heat-related process (and thus possibly also the radio related process) helps mitigate that aspect of it all.