Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-02-21, 14:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / QNAP HS-251+

QNAP HS-251+
2017-10-26, 15:25
RE: QNAP HS-251+
(2017-10-26 15:02)timster Wrote:  Hmm. Synology has SMB, QNAP has Microsoft Networking, as you say. Both enabled, both same workgroup. Interesting both of yours appear as both Computer and Storage. Synology only appears as a Computer for me.

Temporarily disable your firewall, to check whether that is the culprit?

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-27, 14:17
(2017-10-26 15:25)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-10-26 15:02)timster Wrote:  Hmm. Synology has SMB, QNAP has Microsoft Networking, as you say. Both enabled, both same workgroup. Interesting both of yours appear as both Computer and Storage. Synology only appears as a Computer for me.

David

No. Weirder still, the above PC is Win7. On my Win10 tablet, the synology appears under 'other devices' rather than 'computer'. Qnap the same though ('storage').
Nothing like consistency is there? Wink

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-27, 16:10
Well. I have tried SyncToy. I was hoping it could be a bit smarter - especially "right-click to sync" on a folder for example. You have to run it up every time. Also, it only copies. I move new stuff. But still, it's easy and seemed to work.
As did the RTRR FTP from QNAP to Synology, amazingly enough. Almost instantly copied over. No log though, so no record that it did it. Now all I need is for MinimServer to have an auto-rescan on the QNAP as it does on the Synology.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-30, 12:21
(2017-10-11 12:15)mickc Wrote:  
(2017-10-11 11:54)ChrisW Wrote:  To refer to a couple of other posts: I have run this NAS with Kazoo server and 400GB of media content for several weeks without memory or other issues that I was aware of.
Cheers,
Chris.

That's interesting, Chris. I've tried two or three of the recent versions of Kazoo Server for QNAP - if I go into Resource Monitor it throws a warning up every time. I've stripped down running apps to the bare minimum and still get this, and using Kazoo on an iPad with Kazoo Server on the QNAP, album art is very slow to appear. This isn't the case with Asset (although I know there are fewer areas where the latter displays album art). My preference would be to use Kazoo Server on this (second) system but I find Asset so much more responsive, unfortunately.
Possibly it's due to the large size of content - currently almost 2TB of music.

Mick

I'm getting the same. KazooServer is taking up 465MB of memory. More than System Processes!
MinimServer takes up 185MB. Asset a piffling 45MB! Why does KazooServer need to take up so much memory? And 10 times as much Asset, which has a lot more trees and configuration to maintain?

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-10-31, 18:25
64bit Kazoo server can currently have a fairly high RAM usage.

As I said before, I'd not run previously into any functional issues running Kazoo server on my HS-251+ but then I'm using the NAS purely as a music server and have disabled everything else I'm not using.

Memory usage is directly related to the number of tracks in the music library. I've currently got about 50,000 tracks on this NAS and Kazoo server is using about 1GB most of the time.

I did investigate to see if I could reduce this by increasing use of swap file space - on SSD - but found that changing "swappiness" currently doesn't seem to work.

Given that the 2GB of RAM is not upgradable on the HS-251+, I'd probably avoid using it on this platform if I was going to use it as a general-purpose domestic NAS, and certainly if the library contained substantially over 50K tracks.

I'm told that our Linux elves are working on it Wink

Chris.
2017-10-31, 18:34
(2017-10-31 18:25)ChrisW Wrote:  64bit Kazoo server can currently have a fairly high RAM usage.

As I said before, I'd not run previously into any functional issues running Kazoo server on my HS-251+ but then I'm using the NAS purely as a music server and have disabled everything else I'm not using.

Memory usage is directly related to the number of tracks in the music library. I've currently got about 50,000 tracks on this NAS and Kazoo server is using about 1GB most of the time.

I did investigate to see if I could reduce this by increasing use of swap file space - on SSD - but found that changing "swappiness" currently doesn't seem to work.

Given that the 2GB of RAM is not upgradable on the HS-251+, I'd probably avoid using it on this platform if I was going to use it as a general-purpose domestic NAS, and certainly if the library contained substantially over 50K tracks.

I'm told that our Linux elves are working on it Wink

Chris.

I currently have fractionally over 62k tracks, so that fits in with your experience, Chris.
I must admit I wasn't aware that the RAM usage would be this high, and would probably have considered a different NAS had I known, but it's a second system and isn't used all the time, plus I have Asset running on it which works well. Everything on the box is shut down apart from PLEX which I use to serve some video files to the TV.

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2017-10-31, 19:27
It's not causing any issues as far as I'm aware, but then I am a confirmed bachelor and don't have pesky kids or SWMBOs wanting to use it to play a movie while I'm listening. And I'm sure the number of tracks etc. is relevant.
However, seeing as most domestic people with a domestic music system will be using a "general purpose domestic NAS" (the HS is marketed as high-end by the way), and I "only" have just under 10,000 tracks, not using KazooServer seems extremely self-defeating. Especially as the same library relates to much less memory usage by both Minim and especially Asset, so it can't be platform specific either.
Just saying Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-11-03, 13:00
(2017-10-27 14:17)timster Wrote:  
(2017-10-26 15:25)DavidHB Wrote:  

David

No. Weirder still, the above PC is Win7. On my Win10 tablet, the synology appears under 'other devices' rather than 'computer'. Qnap the same though ('storage').
Nothing like consistency is there? Wink

A refresh of Windows Explorer did the trick, so now it is shown as a Computer on the network Smile

Hello to Jason Isaacs