Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-24, 10:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / ACTIVE PMC SPEAKER (TWOTWO)

ACTIVE PMC SPEAKER (TWOTWO)
2017-11-19, 23:14
RE: ACTIVE PMC SPEAKER (TWOTWO)
Surely, if you are using the DS direct into active speakers, without using a preamp, then you MUST use the inbuilt volum3 control in the DS. Otherwise you are sending a full level signal (equivalent to Volume 80) straight into the speakers.

‘troll
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-20, 00:25
(2017-11-19 23:14)moomintroll Wrote:  Surely, if you are using the DS direct into active speakers, without using a preamp, then you MUST use the inbuilt volum3 control in the DS. Otherwise you are sending a full level signal (equivalent to Volume 80) straight into the speakers.

‘troll

Yes of course i always did that way. The point is that is not the same low volume into speakers and high on the ds than max vlume into the speakers and 40-50 volume level in the DS. The second one is much better almost perfect except some frecuencies....

Do you think it will not the same if i get a DSM? I used to have an ADSM/(first model) and i sold a Mac2275 for this reason. It did not sound well.
When i bougt this summer the Analog Domain i try both, the integrated Analog Domain with my KRDS and the Amp (exactly the same gear but without preamp) and the diference was huge.

New DSM are real analog preamps???
2017-11-20, 07:49
Linn doesn't make analogue pre-amps anymore.

Look, I understand this is not your main setup, but at this moment you are putting a Ferrari engine onto a 3-wheeled bike and you are questioning the performance of the engine.
That doesn't make any sense at all.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-20, 09:53
(2017-11-20 07:49)Tin Wrote:  Linn doesn't make analogue pre-amps anymore.

Look, I understand this is not your main setup, but at this moment you are putting a Ferrari engine onto a 3-wheeled bike and you are questioning the performance of the engine.

Well, in my opinion, i think is better that i colud use my actual source until i buy a new one than not listening music until my childrrn grow up.
2017-11-20, 10:24
Are you saying the analog pre sounded better?

KDS direct to speakers should be no problem once you figured out the gain-matching. Don’t think an analog pre would make a positive difference. The Linn digital volume control is pretty darn good. It’s the same implemented in the DS and DSM models.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-11-20, 12:02
(2017-11-20 09:53)ansibron Wrote:  
(2017-11-20 07:49)Tin Wrote:  Linn doesn't make analogue pre-amps anymore.

Well, in my opinion, i think is better that i colud use my actual source until i buy a new one than not listening music until my childrrn grow up.
We're not disagreeing about that.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-20, 15:56
(2017-11-19 21:35)phino Wrote:  It seems there's an input sensitivity switch on the back of the speakers, have you tried changing that to the +4dBu setting? The default is -10 according to the manual.

@Tin: Read the rest of the thread!

Thanks!! I changed into -10 and it goes perfect. I did it WITH YOUR HELP. Thanks everybody for taking your time with me. I really appreciate.

Second step. Look for a DSM instead any other gear of course.

Note: thas small speaker sound better than many others cost double believe me.
2017-11-20, 20:08
(2017-11-20 15:56)ansibron Wrote:  
(2017-11-19 21:35)phino Wrote:  It seems there's an input sensitivity switch on the back of the speakers, have you tried changing that to the +4dBu setting? The default is -10 according to the manual.

@Tin: Read the rest of the thread!

Thanks!! I changed into -10 and it goes perfect. I did it WITH YOUR HELP. Thanks everybody for taking your time with me. I really appreciate.

Second step. Look for a DSM instead any other gear of course.

Note: thas small speaker sound better than many others cost double believe me.

Great stuff - glad it worked out for you Smile

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub