Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-23, 00:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Anybody got any idea what's going on?

Anybody got any idea what's going on?
2017-11-14, 19:55
Anybody got any idea what's going on?
Okay, I'm a long-time sceptic of the idea that Davaar versions all sound the same. I've heard differences in the past where others have not. I've also discovered that just reloading the firmware can make a positive difference...

But the last 24 hours have me perplexed! I've not changed my ADS/1 firmware in over two years. After trying SO and failing, I reverted to my all-time favourite Davaar 4.22.1006, and have left the DS untouched for all that time. Now, I'm considering exakt and wanted to get a baseline with the current Davaar. So, I loaded Konfig and updated both ADS/1 and AK/1 to current releases.

Instantly an improvement - had a great time last night. Then I tried to revert to 4.22.1006 and couldn't do it - message in Konfig "Software update failed (Object reference not set to an instance of an object.)"

So I reloaded the current Davaar, only to find that the musicians who last night had been on top form (three espressos) now seem to have been drinking decaff laced with Mogadon. Boring doesn't begin to describe it....

And to cap it all, BubbleDS Next now doesn't seem to recognise the AK/1 volume control, I have to use the remote instead.

Am I losing my mind??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-14, 20:55
RE: Anybody got any idea what's going on?
Wait until you meet Paulsurround and Donald

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

The Source is in 'da groove !!
2017-11-14, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-14 21:11 by phino.)
You need to set up the AK/1 and the DS with the exact same source-names I think for them to work properly - when moving to Davaar 50 this setting was probably lost so worth checking over what the AK/1 thinks the DS is called compared to what the DS thinks it's called. Edit: The Bubble DS volume issue might be a known problem, it seems to ring a vague bell.
Did you update Konfig before you started or did you use whatever version you were running at the time?

Other than that, though the reversion to 4.22 failed, are you sure it failed completely? It's not unknown for Konfig to say it's failed but actually it has done the deed. Either way, I'd plump for a reset and fallback then put the latest Davaar back in.
I think you can go back to pre-Davaar 50 but it's a two stage process if I remember right - and I'm not sure what the stages are! You might need to download an earlier copy of Konfig to do it if you did update.

Anyway - yes, I think most people found quite an improvement in sound quality on moving to Davaar 50 and strangely, the endless comparison of versions to decide which is best does seem to have abated, if perhaps not quite stopped. Then again, there have been so many bugs/losses of functionality that in most cases it's just been a relief to move to a version that's a bit more stable than the last. It's starting to plateau now though, so expect the arguments over the best sounding Davaar to resume shortly Smile

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-11-14, 21:19
(2017-11-14 21:09)phino Wrote:  Anyway - yes, I think most people found quite an improvement in sound quality on moving to Davaar 50 and strangely, the endless comparison of versions to decide which is best does seem to have abated, if perhaps not quite stopped. Then again, there have been so many bugs/losses of functionality that in most cases it's just been a relief to move to a version that's a bit more stable than the last. It's starting to plateau now though, so expect the arguments over the best sounding Davaar to resume shortly Smile

May be true for you Exakt folk, but running 4.53.125 here as any later release does not sound so good. 125 does have functional or should I say disfunctional issues though

Peter
Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Kazoo & Lumin on PC, iPad, Android
2017-11-15, 02:31
(2017-11-14 20:55)Steven Wrote:  Wait until you meet Paulsurround and Donald

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Too late, I met Willie a couple of years ago. Tongue

There is a meetup next month as well.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-11-15, 07:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-11-15 07:30 by Tin.)
(2017-11-15 02:31)Paulssurround Wrote:  

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

I wonder if I should feel relieved or insulted that Steven didn't mention me.
I understand that Willy, Steven Donald and you go back some time, but I should get some recognition for having lost my mind as well.

@Willy: Just try Phinos suggestion, of reverting & reinstalling Davaar. And as a rule of thumb, if it ain't broke...

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-15, 08:01
(2017-11-15 07:26)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-11-15 02:31)Paulssurround Wrote:  

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

I wonder if I should feel relieved or insulted that Steven didn't mention me.
I understand that Willy, Steven Donald and you go back some time, but I should get some recognition for having lost my mind as well.

@Willy: Just try Phinos suggestion, of reverting & reinstalling Davaar. And as a rule of thumb, if it ain't broke...

Don’t feel insulted.

Steven will be meeting up with Willie, Donald, The Premier Inn gang and myself in a few weeks. Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-11-15, 10:08
Thanks for the responses, especially the constructive ones....

Current suspicion is that, having tried the total reset without success, I may need to go back to an earlier Konfig?

Anyway, in an hour I'm off on a road trip for a week, so will retry then.
2017-11-15, 10:18
(2017-11-15 10:08)Willie Eckerslyke Wrote:  Thanks for the responses, especially the constructive ones....

Current suspicion is that, having tried the total reset without success, I may need to go back to an earlier Konfig?
That is a possibility as well, but the path, contrary to popular belief, really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is the software you end up with.

But as you have doubts about that yourself, there is really no way telling what will happen.

I'd say that just a hard powercycle and a good glass of your favourite drink will fix more issues than believing in magical software update orders.

Sorry to bring this a bit harsh, but software images just happen to work in a certain way.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-19, 12:58
I thought the only purpose of any davaar post 37 was to remove features and then slowly bring them back one bug fix at a time.

...I jest....

System 1: Devialet Le Expert 220 | Audio Physic Tempo 25
System 2: Linn Majik DSM/1 | Audio Physic Step 25+