Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Katalyst - upgrading for Akurate & 530's

Katalyst - upgrading for Akurate & 530's
2017-11-26, 15:12
Katalyst - upgrading for Akurate & 530's
Hello All

I am in the process of upgrading my Akurate DSM (pre 2014) to the latest version with Exakt as well as buying a set of 530 loudspeakers.

The only thing holding me back is the release of Linn’s Katalyst which I have heard good things about. Does anyone have a view that they (Linn) may be releasing it as an upgrade for the Akurate Range and/or the 530s speakers in the near future ?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-26, 15:56
RE: Katalyst - upgrading for Akurate & 530's
If you want to buy 530s you might be better of selling your ADSM and getting an AEDSM, unless you want to use it in a surround setup, than having an ADSM can be handy.

As far as release dates, your guess is as good as ours. :/

Tin can telephone system.
2017-11-26, 16:21
(2017-11-26 15:12)rurenting Wrote:  Hello All

I am in the process of upgrading my Akurate DSM (pre 2014) to the latest version with Exakt as well as buying a set of 530 loudspeakers.

The only thing holding me back is the release of Linn’s Katalyst which I have heard good things about. Does anyone have a view that they (Linn) may be releasing it as an upgrade for the Akurate Range and/or the 530s speakers in the near future ?

Thanks in advance.

You are asking probably the most asked question on the digital side of the forum just now...

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-11-28, 02:42
(2017-11-26 15:12)rurenting Wrote:  The only thing holding me back is the release of Linn’s Katalyst which I have heard good things about. Does anyone have a view that they (Linn) may be releasing it as an upgrade for the Akurate Range and/or the 530s speakers in the near future ?

Given that Linn have already released Katalyst versions of the integrated Exakt Akubarik and Akudorik speakers, it seems likely that they will also release Katalyst models in the rest of the Akurate range. If they stick to their normal timing for new releases, we should see some at least of these new models next Spring. As Tin says, this is guesswork, but it is based on previous practice.

The Series 5 models are a different case. They are a range in their own right, and there has been no indication whatever as to whether or when they will get a Katalyst upgrade. As they are Exakt models, any upgrade of the associated DSM would not be relevant. Tin's advice about getting an AEDSM to use with them is correct, but the AEDSM has no DAC, and therefore will not have a Katalyst version.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-12-03, 07:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-03 07:36 by Mongo.)
This weekend a swedish Linn retailer has announced that Katalyst is coming for Akurate DS, DSM and Exaktbox next year/spring.
They say that if you buy any of this products now you will get the upgrade for the same cost as the new prices of Katalyst products (they will be more expensive of course).

Here you have a link to Tonläget in Gothenburg, Sweden:
http://www.tonlaget.se

AEDSM, Akudorik Exakt Katalyst, 2 x Exaktbox Sub, 2 x Akurate 226, 2 x REL T9i
2017-12-03, 07:28 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-03 07:36 by Mongo.)
Double post

AEDSM, Akudorik Exakt Katalyst, 2 x Exaktbox Sub, 2 x Akurate 226, 2 x REL T9i
2017-12-03, 23:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-03 23:13 by DavidHB.)
(2017-12-03 07:26)Mongo Wrote:  This weekend a swedish Linn retailer has announced that Katalyst is coming for Akurate DS, DSM and Exaktbox next year/spring.
They say that if you buy any of this products now you will get the upgrade for the same cost as the new prices of Katalyst products (they will be more expensive of course).

Presumably the dealer broke an embargo when publishing this information, which is unfortunate. The information itself is not really a surprise, of course. As regards pricing, Linn publish recommended price lists in the UK and some other countries, but they cannot control dealer pricing.

Personally, I am more interested in upgrade availability and pricing, and I don't expect to learn anything firm about that until well into the New Year. I also note that, as before, nothing is being said about the 5 Series.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-12-12, 18:17
No news on 5 series.

But Akurate DS, DSM and Exaktboxes confirmed for "the spring"

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk