Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Take Tukans Aktiv or Change Speakers?

Take Tukans Aktiv or Change Speakers?
2017-12-06, 17:50
Take Tukans Aktiv or Change Speakers?
My second system, in a smallish office/bedroom, includes Tukans passively driven by a Kairn/C4100 amp combination, with an Afekt sub giving some low end. If you were to upgrade the speakers, would you simply go aktiv (which where I live would be about US$640 for the cards and some labor), or stay passive and try to find more accomplished speakers in the sub-$1000 price range? I quite like the Tukans, although I don't have a great point of comparison and find that the highs can be a tiny bit shrill. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-06, 20:11
RE: Take Tukans Aktiv or Change Speakers?
Since you already have a 4100 and a sub, aktiv would a simple upgrade to do. You didn't mention what source you use for that system though?

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-06, 20:30
(2017-12-06 20:11)bettermusic Wrote:  Since you already have a 4100 and a sub, aktiv would a simple upgrade to do. You didn't mention what source you use for that system though?

Thanks. Linn Ikemi and Rega P3.
2017-12-06, 20:34
(2017-12-06 17:50)kdl Wrote:  My second system, in a smallish office/bedroom, includes Tukans passively driven by a Kairn/C4100 amp combination, with an Afekt sub giving some low end. If you were to upgrade the speakers, would you simply go aktiv (which where I live would be about US$640 for the cards and some labor), or stay passive and try to find more accomplished speakers in the sub-$1000 price range? I quite like the Tukans, although I don't have a great point of comparison and find that the highs can be a tiny bit shrill. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Interesting question. I have a fair amount of experience with Tukans and Katans both passive and aktiv and always with REL subs. I agree the Tukans are on the shrill side. I use aktiv Katans for my daily listening in my office because they are never fatiguing. But, they give up the sparkle of the Tukans which I miss. I haven't been able to find, for me, the ideal blend between the two. Don't take that the wrong way, I love both speakers.

Taking the Tukan's aktiv you will gain even tighter clarity throughout the frequency spectrum. If the aktiv cards you get have a gain control (mine do for my AV-5125's) you can attenuate the treble which can knock down the shrill factor but IMO that steals the life away from them.

Taking them aktiv won't significantly change the sonic character. For that, I would consider Katans or another brand though I haven't heard anything for under $1k that grabs me like the Tukans and Katans do. If you find something you like let us know what it is.
2017-12-06, 20:36
Ninkas ?

Great speakers

The Source is in 'da groove !!
2017-12-06, 21:35
(2017-12-06 20:36)Steven Wrote:  Ninkas ?

Great speakers

A little too large for the space, I suspect, but that's not a bad idea.
2017-12-07, 13:54
I have owned passive Tukans as well - great little speakers.
Agree that Katans are the more forgiving speaker of the two, and those require less than 20m work when taking active - even by yourself.

Alternatively, $640 for cards plus installation alone get you well on the road towards a pair of s/h Majik 109s, especially if you factor in the sale of your Tukans...

LP12 - KDS1 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.0 - Satagun Mono 1.3 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Akurate 242 mk2

Lejonklou • NOKTable Turntable stand • Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-07, 18:07
(2017-12-07 13:54)mrco99 Wrote:  I have owned passive Tukans as well - great little speakers.
Agree that Katans are the more forgiving speaker of the two, and those require less than 20m work when taking active - even by yourself.

Alternatively, $640 for cards plus installation alone get you well on the road towards a pair of s/h Majik 109s, especially if you factor in the sale of your Tukans...

Thanks. May I infer from this that Majik 109s (the successor to Katans?) run passively would be a step up from active Tukans?
2017-12-07, 18:31
(2017-12-07 18:07)kdl Wrote:  Thanks. May I infer from this that Majik 109s (the successor to Katans?) run passively would be a step up from active Tukans?

The 109s perform well passively (properly mounted on decent stands, of course), but how well they compare with any active setup will very much be a matter of listener preference. Your expression 'a step up' might imply that there is an established hierarchy, and that is very much not the case. It should be possible to find a dealer who will have a pair of 109s running passively to demonstrate. Your ears should be the judge.

That said, with a 4100 already in the system, with my ears I would be looking to go Aktiv and keeping the existing speakers as likely the most cost-effective next step. And if you stay with 2 way loudspeakers (not necessarily from Linn) for this system, you won't need to buy extra amplification, either.

In due course, if/when the budget allows, dispensing with the Kairn and getting an MDSM would be a very nice upgrade (with two more channels of amplification thrown in as well). But it seems that would stretch things too far at the moment.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-12-07, 22:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-07 22:45 by sunbeamgls.)
Taking your Tukans active doesn't necessarily cost as much as you suggest, if you're patient a set of active cards will probably become available used at some point.
When you have them, I would suggest buying a used pair of Katans and swapping between those and the Tukans to see which gives you more musical enjoyment -they both use the same active cards. This is fairly safe as, in the case that you don't like the Katans, they seem to hold their value extremely well and you'll get most if not all your money back on them, as long as you buy at a sensible price of course.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk