Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / new to streaming do I need a NAS initially?

new to streaming do I need a NAS initially?
2017-12-07, 11:55
new to streaming do I need a NAS initially?
My first post. I am just awaiting a Sneaky to arrive and am trying to do initial set up of
software / pc / network.

Once things are running OK I do intend adding a separate NAS but to keep things simple initially (read cheap) can I set up streaming from the internal hard drive on my PC?

I ask this because having downloaded both BubblesDS and Kinsky (on android) both are finding my router but effectively only accessing windows media player on my PC. I can't find a way to get further into my PC's storage through the controller software (in other words to be able to access a new folder I have set up on the internal drive with FLAC files saved).

Or am I wasting my time until the sneaky arrives and is connected up to my network?

Sorry I am a complete newbe on this and have not found a lot of info on line.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-07, 12:01
RE: new to streaming do I need a NAS initially?
Yes you can use your PC. You only need to install a decent music server, such as Kazoo Server from Linn (free, very basic functionality) or, better, Minimserver (donationware, very powerful). I don't have access to the link at the moment, but a google search will find it. The downloads are quite easy to find and install.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-07, 12:12
Forgot to mention, there is also Asset UPnP, which is also good, but is not free. There is a cut-down free version though. It may be worth your while installing all three, then pick the one you prefer before parting with any money. They are all different.
Also, be aware Asset is not available for Synolgy NAS's. All three are available fir QNAPs, when you decide to get a NAS.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-12-07, 12:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-07 14:46 by JensA.)
I am very happy with Minimserver

It's easy to install and developer Simon Nash is very helpful in case you should encounter problems.

And - as already mentioned by timster - you definitely don't need a NAS for a start:
In my own setup Minimserver is simply scanning the Itunes directory on my iMac (about 75.000 songs, many of them in Lossless ALAC format due to iTunes problems with FLAC).
As control app I am using Linn's Kazoo on my Ipad. Kazoo is available Here for other platforms as well.

Jens
2017-12-07, 13:04
(2017-12-07 12:12)timster Wrote:  Forgot to mention, there is also Asset UPnP, which is also good, but is not free. There is a cut-down free version though. It may be worth your while installing all three, then pick the one you prefer before parting with any money. They are all different.
Also, be aware Asset is not available for Synolgy NAS's. All three are available fir QNAPs, when you decide to get a NAS.

Dear Jason
That is all really useful and will look into this today. Really appreciated your quick reply.
C
2017-12-07, 13:26
I would go with minimserver Simon is so helpful
The service he gives could teach any other software support

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-12-07, 14:38
(2017-12-07 13:04)craigsteph1962 Wrote:  
(2017-12-07 12:12)timster Wrote:  Forgot to mention, there is also Asset UPnP, which is also good, but is not free. There is a cut-down free version though. It may be worth your while installing all three, then pick the one you prefer before parting with any money. They are all different.

Dear Jason
That is all really useful and will look into this today. Really appreciated your quick reply.
C

LOL. Sorry, had to laugh. Not Jason, he's an actor. The phrase in my sig is like a call-sign to other Wittertainees/Members of the Church of Wittertainment.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-12-07, 22:36
Whilst I use a QNAP NAS at home, running MinimServer, I have now exhibited at the Hifi Wigwam show using AssetDB on a Windows laptop as I didn't want to uproot my NAS. The music files were held on a 2.5" self powered USB drive. It ran perfectly, using Kazoo as the control point, in this instance also running on the PC. Simple to install and will get you up and running until you're ready for a NAS. I'm sure Minim would do just as good a job.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk