Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-27, 22:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Linn Events v / Linn survives visit by Premier Inn Gang 11th Dec

Linn survives visit by Premier Inn Gang 11th Dec
2018-02-11, 08:58
RE: Linn survives visit by Premier Inn Gang 11th Dec
(2017-12-25 14:38)Music at Home Wrote:  
(2017-12-25 01:44)Briain Wrote:  Yes, totally agreed; after re-reading my post (as in the part quoted above) I realise that I was perhaps being a little too over diplomatic. Wink The odd thing is that I have heard a KDSM vs KDS demo in the distant past (though admittedly, both were of the KDS/1 vintage) and the difference didn't sound anything like as large as we'd heard on this occasion

Was this particular comparison one that was requested prior to the visit, or one Linn chose to include? Based on these results it seems to indicate there is still a place in the world, even in the Linn world, for a separate analogue preamp, so I'm not sure what message this dem is sending?
I only listen to streamed/ stored music and have just upgraded from ADSM1 to second hand KDS1 with latest Kat upgrade i.e KDS3. This is xlr into a passive system (MF8500s + Focal 1028be) and improvement is dramatic. No need for a preamp and digital volume control works beautifully. Delighted.

PC (as NAS, Linn Server, Kazoo) - MS Surface control - KDS3(Kat) - MF8500s - Focal 1028be
2nd bedroom as before + range extender - ADSM/1 - headphones, considering kat in due course
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-02-11, 10:55
Hi Richard,
The Kds3 is indeed a fine sounding beast. I listened to one a couple of weeks ago at my friends, Kantata Audio just as you have yours configured and didn’t think anything was missing without a pre amp, however shortly after I left he reported to me that putting a pre amp in the chain made a significant improvement.
It brings me back to 2016 when I had a passive Klimax system and thought I would never give up my KK1, maybe if you ever get a chance to hear one on home dem you really need to.... they can be picked up for humble money .
Just a thought for you to ponder ? Wink

Avalon

Akurate Exakt DSM,2 Akurate Katalyst Exaktbox 6. 2 Akurate 4200 power amps, klimax chakra twin(Dk), Akubarik High Gloss Rosewood speakers,nordost Tyr interconnects, iPad 2 & KazooServer Minimserver and Asset server running on a Qnap 251, backed up to remote Qnap 231. Sonos for multiroom. SPACED OUT
2018-02-11, 11:36 (This post was last modified: 2018-02-11 11:37 by Briain.)
(2018-02-11 10:55)avalon Wrote:  Hi Richard,
The Kds3 is indeed a fine sounding beast. I listened to one a couple of weeks ago at my friends, Kantata Audio just as you have yours configured and didn’t think anything was missing without a pre amp, however shortly after I left he reported to me that putting a pre amp in the chain made a significant improvement.
It brings me back to 2016 when I had a passive Klimax system and thought I would never give up my KK1, maybe if you ever get a chance to hear one on home dem you really need to.... they can be picked up for humble money .
Just a thought for you to ponder ? Wink

Avalon

The preamp issue is becoming more and more of an intriguing one! I am famously very against DVC (in KDS/0 and KDS/1, I think that it sounds utterly appalling at lower to medium volume levels) and I thought it utter madness for Linn to EoL the KK, but I am totally open-minded about what I might think (of DVC) what with the improvements brought about by the new Katalyst architecture (supposedly it will be lossless down to very low levels; perhaps a volume level of 38, according to Murray). In fact, given that information, I would even go as far as to say that with Katalyst, I would fully expect it to sound better than having a preamp 'in the way', but it isn't a demo that I have yet heard.

Unfortunately, with the current range of kit DVC is not an option for me - most of the time, my system is used for TV sound, so I need the additional input my current system provides - so albeit a fascinating thought, at the moment, there would be very little point in me seeking out such a demonstration. That is one of the reasons why I am so excited at the remote possibilities that the Urika II's very existence implies are at least remotely plausible (the possibility of a future multi-media interface for a DS) but we can only guess on whether that will ever materialise (fingers crossed though).

The good thing about that would be that - if it ever happens - would be that if I did decide DVC was still not my thing, I could revert to using the KDS proxy preamp feature to control my KK from a KDS and control point (whereas if I went down the KDSM route, that would not be possible due to the absence of the RS232 interfaces on DSM models).

We [just might in future] live in interesting times, as they say!

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADS/0 -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-02-11, 12:39
(2017-12-25 14:38)Music at Home Wrote:  
(2017-12-25 01:44)Briain Wrote:  Yes, totally agreed; after re-reading my post (as in the part quoted above) I realise that I was perhaps being a little too over diplomatic. Wink The odd thing is that I have heard a KDSM vs KDS demo in the distant past (though admittedly, both were of the KDS/1 vintage) and the difference didn't sound anything like as large as we'd heard on this occasion

Was this particular comparison one that was requested prior to the visit, or one Linn chose to include? Based on these results it seems to indicate there is still a place in the world, even in the Linn world, for a separate analogue preamp, so I'm not sure what message this dem is sending?

Now that Urika II and it's Exakt Link connection is known about, demoing the performance of a KDS vs KDSM makes a lot more sense now.

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's