Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-17, 08:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / MCRU Main Power Block

MCRU Main Power Block
2017-12-23, 14:42
RE: MCRU Main Power Block
It arrived today, astonishingly. Turns out there is no LED, it's just a blanking plate.

So far, I think I can hear more detail in the highs. I stress the think. But no harm no foul if it's just my imagination.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-23, 17:30
(2017-12-23 14:42)timster Wrote:  It arrived today, astonishingly. Turns out there is no LED, it's just a blanking plate.

So far, I think I can hear more detail in the highs. I stress the think. But no harm no foul if it's just my imagination.

As with any new piece of kit, give it several dozen hours to break-in.

Happy Christmas to you!!!

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
2017-12-23, 20:53 (This post was last modified: 2017-12-23 23:13 by spannko.)
Philbo once described (and posted a photo) of his mains arrangement as recommended to him my the Linn electronic engineers. It consisted of standard Linn power cords (with the wall plugs removed) wired into a 30A junction box which was fed by a short length of 2.5mm2 T&E into an MK 13A plug. This was then plugged directly into the wall socket.

My own experiments resulted in the following preferences (in increasing order of musicality):

1. “Value” mains block. Available for about £3 and usually made by Marbo.

2. Re-wired MK mains block (neon removed) using the cores removed from a standard Linn mains lead and a length of Linn mains lead complete with welded on 13A mains plug.

3. One Linn mains lead per component, all with their 13A mains plugs removed, soldered directly to a length of Linn mains lead complete with the welded on 13A mains plug. This arrangement is very similar to Philbo’s and is often described as a “hydra”.

Notes:

1. Not particularly exciting, but better than most mains blocks (just) and a lot cheaper.

2. Quite an improvement over 1. More musical with less hf distortion. About £30 for the MK “trailing socket”.

3. Bigger difference than when going from 1 to 2. Even more musicality, even less hf distortion, and with a level of coherence that 1 & 2 don’t even get close to. Essentially free, using the supplied Linn mains leads.

Other configurations tried include:

A. All mains leads screwed into one MK or Crabtree 13A plug.

B. All mains leads screwed into one multi-cable rewire-able 13A mains plug (the sort used to make the audiophile type hydras available on eBay.

C. All mains leads screwed into one 50A “Henley” block.

A, B and C sounded similar to one another and not as good as a “value” mains block.

I think the differences I’ve heard are possibly due to two things:

1. Star wiring which reduces ground currents, and...

2. High quality welded/soldered connections.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2018-01-11, 20:53
Timster any update now that you've lived with it for a while?

Cheers
2018-01-12, 07:52
(2018-01-11 20:53)CPG Wrote:  Timster any update now that you've lived with it for a while?

Cheers

That is one of the hardest questions...it has been a while, that is true. Long enough to know that I can't remember how it sounded before in comparison!
Sounds great. But then since Paul's visit, and even before, it always has done. On balance though, I would be inclined to confirm my initial impression - highs/2K array does seem slightly more detailed, at least from what memory I have of before Wink
And if you read immense caution between the lines, you'd be right!

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-12, 12:02
Many thanks Timster...may try if I can return Smile