Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-17, 08:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Linn Website Feedback v / Measured Subwoofers List?

Measured Subwoofers List?
2017-12-21, 13:32
Measured Subwoofers List?
I have been trying to find a list of all the subwoofers that have been measured for Space Optimisation and/or Exakt. I know the Exaktbox sub works with any, and so does SO with generic parameters, but some are specified as measured in Konfig and would have Exakt and measured filters applied rather than generic ones.

Seeing as the list exists in Konfig, I would like to see an equivalent list on the website of compatible subwoofers as there are for other speakers under SO and Exakt technologies. I would think this is particularly necessary information to go along with the Exaktbox sub in particular?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-21, 14:23
RE: Measured Subwoofers List?
(2017-12-21 13:32)timster Wrote:  I have been trying to find a list of all the subwoofers that have been measured for Space Optimisation and/or Exakt. I know the Exaktbox sub works with any, and so does SO with generic parameters, but some are specified as measured in Konfig and would have Exakt and measured filters applied rather than generic ones.

Seeing as the list exists in Konfig, I would like to see an equivalent list on the website of compatible subwoofers as there are for other speakers under SO and Exakt technologies. I would think this is particularly necessary information to go along with the Exaktbox sub in particular?

This list you mean? It's not very long, seems as though they've given up and assumed the generic filter covers everything?

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Ex..._subwoofer

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
Find all posts by this user
2017-12-21, 14:44
(2017-12-21 14:23)phino Wrote:  
(2017-12-21 13:32)timster Wrote:  I have been trying to find a list of all the subwoofers that have been measured for Space Optimisation and/or Exakt. I know the Exaktbox sub works with any, and so does SO with generic parameters, but some are specified as measured in Konfig and would have Exakt and measured filters applied rather than generic ones.

This list you mean? It's not very long, seems as though they've given up and assumed the generic filter covers everything?

Hmm. Doesn't fill me with much confidence that list would be kept up to date even if they do add more (which they haven't for ages as far as I can tell). No reason that list can't be on the website though.
But you may be right about generic being good enough. Philbo does say to pick one close in design and configuration to one that is measured though. Never really understood that. Were I to get the EBoxSub, should I choose a REL S-series filter or the Akurate 221. Or 226?

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-12-21, 18:22
(2017-12-21 14:44)timster Wrote:  
(2017-12-21 14:23)phino Wrote:  

Hmm. Doesn't fill me with much confidence that list would be kept up to date even if they do add more (which they haven't for ages as far as I can tell). No reason that list can't be on the website though.
But you may be right about generic being good enough. Philbo does say to pick one close in design and configuration to one that is measured though. Never really understood that. Were I to get the EBoxSub, should I choose a REL S-series filter or the Akurate 221. Or 226?

I'd have thought they'd keep LinnDocs up-to-date - they do with most other stuff. As for the website, perhaps the list is so short that they don't want it to be too visible?!

Ah - now the 'Generic' Sub - that's a bit of an annoyance to me. For normal SO, you say use generic and then enter the position in SO as the centre of the driver. Fair enough and straight-forward.
For Exakt though, you choose Akurate 221 or 226 and put in 01234567 as the serial. However, within SO+, the sub exists as a 221 or a 226 along with its measurements, so if you want to get it right (and why bother with all this measurement stuff if it's not important?) therefore you need to correct for the difference in size between your sub and the Akurate. Worse still, there's an error in the specs in the Akurate manual, so the width of the sub is given two different sizes depending on whether you look at metric or imperial. Added to that, the 226 (&221 I think) have 'feet' which aren't separately measured so you don't know where the vertical centre of the drive should be.
Of course, it's possible that the 01234567 serial number tells SO+ to ignore the dimensions of the Akurate, but from tinkering with positions in Konfig, it certainly doesn't look that way to me. Also, you'd hope that LinnDocs would tell you explicitly how to do these measurements, but they don't - it's all a bit vague.

To make it even worse, there's some definite strangeness about how to take the measurements for the right sub if you have a pair - and the diagram in SO doesn't seem to match up if you enter the correct dimensions to the correct corner as specified - and I don't know if that's because of the descriptions being wrong or simply because of the size of the 'box' that represents the sub in SO.
I all know this because I have a single sub which is still having to be treated as a stereo pair because the mono downmix doesn't work with my Klimax Exaktbox/Exaktbox Sub combination.

Finally - if you're having an Exaktbox sub feeding stereo to a single subwoofer, you can forget trying to use 'Practical/Idea' positioning for the sub itself: The boundary filter for the left sub is depends on its relative position to the front and left walls, whereas the filter for the right sub is dependant on the position relative to the front and right wall. Therefore, if you have stereo feeding a single sub on the left side of the room, the position filter for the left channel will be correct but the one for the right is vastly different as it's close to the left wall but the 'correction' is for its position relative to the right wall. I think that was a big part of my earlier problems trying to get it all set up.

Anyway, it's doing pretty well just at the moment, fingers crossed. But it's all been pretty frustrating. That Linn appear to have given up on subwoofers altogether doesn't help much either.

Rant over. Feel much better now Big Grin

Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-12-21, 19:34
Should I be worried that I have no issues with subs and SO?

Tin can telephone system.
2017-12-21, 20:56
(2017-12-21 19:34)Tin Wrote:  Should I be worried that I have no issues with subs and SO?

About non Exakt subs and SO - no, but you should definitely worry about something Big Grin

Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-12-21, 20:57
(2017-12-21 20:56)phino Wrote:  
(2017-12-21 19:34)Tin Wrote:  Should I be worried that I have no issues with subs and SO?

About non Exakt subs and SO - no, but you should definitely worry about something Big Grin
Will do! Big Grin

Tin can telephone system.
2017-12-22, 07:52
(2017-12-21 20:57)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-12-21 20:56)phino Wrote:  

Will do! Big Grin

Phino has eloquently summarised all the reasons I am doubtful about investing in an ExaktboxSub for an unmeasured sub. What I have now works pretty darn well, but if my sub is ever properly measured (or I could afford one that has been) it would be a different story. Hence asking the original question.
If only they would measure a T5 (or the latest T5i, or even an equivalent one that I could afford to swap to) then they would have £1300 from me at some point in the future. Otherwise they won't.

Bribery. Well, Trump does it all the time! Rolleyes

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-01-08, 06:17
To make it even worse, there's some definite strangeness about how to take the measurements for the right sub if you have a pair - and the diagram in SO doesn't seem to match up if you enter the correct dimensions to the correct corner as specified - and I don't know if that's because of the descriptions being wrong or simply because of the size of the 'box' that represents the sub in SO.

I am glad I saw this as I thought I was going mad... I have (2) Klimax 345 subs and I just added them via to SO but noticed they were "off" on the Diagram.

Hopefully that will be fixed in the next release.

***See profile bio for complete system description***