Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-27, 22:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Preamp recommendations for Klimax

Preamp recommendations for Klimax
2018-01-13, 21:39
RE: Preamp recommendations for Klimax
(2018-01-13 15:08)HearNoMore Wrote:  Yes it is mine since yesterday. A Katalyst KDSM/2 upgraded Nov 2016, so it should be well run in. Set up correctly using my saved SO configuration, HDMI off etc. I got it to give myself more possibilities should I ever decide to go Exakt.

Did you notice much, if any, change in performance going from a DS to DSM?

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-13, 21:57
(2018-01-13 19:12)HearNoMore Wrote:  I don't think I would use the word clarity, it's more about musical communication and emotional connection, which is where Lejonklou amps leave Linn amps behind. In fact, I would say that the Linn sound has more clarity, but to the detriment of the music. My favourite analogy is that the Linn sound veers towards the sonic equivalent of an oversharpened photograph, overemphasising certain aspects at the expense of losing subtle nuances.

The appropriate degree of sharpening to use with a photo is also very much a matter of individual taste (and of the circumstances in which the image is used). I don't in fact have any difficulty in engaging with the musical sounds produced by my system, so my taste may not be the same as yours - not something I see as a problem.

(2018-01-13 19:12)HearNoMore Wrote:  As for Exakt, I know people who think that combination of Exakt with Lejonklou power amps is an excellent match. It's certainly an option I am considering, but not necessarily with Linn speakers. That's an avenue to explore in the future.

The Achilles heel of Exakt IMO is the very small number of non-Linn speakers with which it can be used, unless you are in a position to design your own filters. But I'd certainly regard Exakt with Lejonklou amps as an attractive proposition in principle (I've not heard it), as Exakt gets round their most obvious limitation - their relative lack of power. Now of course power isn't everything, but it comes in handy remarkably often.

(2018-01-13 19:12)HearNoMore Wrote:  You do seem to be rather concerned that my signature is accurate :-)

Well, we all like to know, y'know Wink And I did forget to update mine after the last change ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-01-14, 11:22
(2018-01-13 21:39)Music at Home Wrote:  
(2018-01-13 15:08)HearNoMore Wrote:  Yes it is mine since yesterday. A Katalyst KDSM/2 upgraded Nov 2016, so it should be well run in. Set up correctly using my saved SO configuration, HDMI off etc. I got it to give myself more possibilities should I ever decide to go Exakt.

Nothing obvious so far, though I did have an extremely enjoyable listening session on the DSM/2's first evening at much louder volume than I would normally play and it sounded absolutely fantastic. Very solid but also very delicate at the same time.

DavidHB - I think you should stop commenting on Lejonklou amps' alleged power issue until you have tried it for yourself. I certainly have no issues driving my 242s as loud as anyone could ever want with no problem whatever. In fact, I could never use my Klimax Twin as loud as I was playing the other night, because it became too harsh sounding.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2018-01-14, 12:42 (This post was last modified: 2018-01-14 12:42 by mrco99.)
Watts don't come only in quantity, but also in quality - although there is not a measurement yet to express them in. I guess Lejonklou owners would understand Big Grin

LP12/Keel/Ekos/Adikt - KDS3 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik 6.1 MM phono stage - Satagun Mono 1.4 Preamps - Tundra Mono 2.2 Poweramps - Klangedang T1 Speakers - Rel Stampede subwoofer

Lejonklou • Klangedang • Graham Audio • NOKTable Turntable stand • Oppo & Quadraspire supplier

www.hexagonaudio.eu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-04-10, 01:51
(2018-01-14 11:22)HearNoMore Wrote:  
(2018-01-13 21:39)Music at Home Wrote:  

Nothing obvious so far, though I did have an extremely enjoyable listening session on the DSM/2's first evening at much louder volume than I would normally play and it sounded absolutely fantastic. Very solid but also very delicate at the same time.

DavidHB - I think you should stop commenting on Lejonklou amps' alleged power issue until you have tried it for yourself. I certainly have no issues driving my 242s as loud as anyone could ever want with no problem whatever. In fact, I could never use my Klimax Twin as loud as I was playing the other night, because it became too harsh sounding.

I can confirm HearNoMore’s experience. What I’ve noticed is while in my listening room, I continue to turn up the volume yet it doesn’t sound “loud” yet once I leave the room and am somewhere else in the house I can’t believe how much the sound fills all the rooms. The Tundra mono 2s feel like an Aktiv set up and are always effortless while incredibly musical, almost like a Source upgrade.

LP12, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Keel, Ekos 2, Kandid, KK1/D, Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus, Pekin Tuner, 242s Mk2, RelB1 on top of Aurelex Sub Dude, Quadraspire Acrylic Reference Rack and wall mount, 2 dedicated circuits.